• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What do you miss most from AF/AF+/AC/AFe+?

Personally I think JVGSJeff's video on things that didn't return from the GC version is perfect.
For me: All specifically from the Gamecube version
Gold spots, different than NH
The little soccer ball, basketball, or the blue ball ( forget) that sometimes villagers would kick around with
Running errands for everyone
Rudeness
The cheat codes! I still remember the 30k cheat by heart, been doing it for 13 years my friends.
Certain items, lots of items didn't return to new games
I really liked how the basement looked actually, weird to say, gave me kind of cozy vibes but I wish the flooring could change
The island you could go to and have a cute little villager stay on ^^ I always got Flossie for some reason, or June
The fountain/Wishing well
Ability to go into the Lighthouse for Tortimer
Tortimer in general
The train!!!! I miss that, I miss the music, running in Blanca and drawing her a face, even Rover!
3 level towns. Got one on accident and it was my mission to constantly have one
Music of GC
I miss the acres of GC but still enjoy the rolling of NL or CF
Odd ramps in the gamecube version
I grew up playing each game, but I have the most memories with this one, so I miss A LOT from it

I miss the overall atmosphere of the originals. It actually felt like an enclosed forest for the short amount I played it. I especially loved the short thicket-like bushes you could walk through.

• Some of its villagers (even if only a few I really liked eventually did return starting from New Leaf and its Amiibo update, such as my boy O'Hare (whom I didn't even have on my island lol), Claude and Hopkins);
  • The big whale you could occasionally see when going to your island with Kapp'n;
  • The fact that you could also somewhat control your island via your GBA;
  • The fact that some of those bugs (even if some of them were in e+, which I sadly never played since not living in Japan) never made it to any of the subsequent titles;
  • Being able to go inside of the lighthouse to turn it on when Tortimer was gone;
  • The events at the square with Farley and his fountain;
    • even the fact that you, as the player, were also able to partake them, mainly those aerobics;
    • not to mention the Harvest Moon that you could see in the lake's reflection;
  • The blue cosmos flowers;
  • Having your own private island (one disadvantage of that, however, is that you're not even able to choose which islander would be 'allowed' to reside there... (I was not too fond of Pigleg myself lol) until e+ and its e-card compatibility, that is)
...am I slowly running out of fingers to count all those facts on yet? XD

A few things I don't miss, however, are the facts that you cannot look up at the sky, and cannot pick flowers until e+, e.g. when you want to replace and arrange them in a specific fashion.

Last edited:
The dialogue was something special in AC GCN.
The music.
The events.
The atmosphere.
The post office was great but I preferred Wild World's over any of the other games.
Lots of others I'm definitely forgetting about.

The music and checking the dump/police station are big ones for me. I also miss the joy of getting a new piece of furniture and the furniture sets themselves, but I would almost always end up mixing them with other sets anyway. 😅

I mainly miss the atmosphere the game had, along with the music, the dump, some of the villagers that didn't make it into the newer titles, the train station (nothing against Dodo airlines, but I like using the train honestly more than the airplane), the fountain, the lighthouse, some of the events and so much more. Basically everything what already got mentioned here in this thread. This game sure was something special.

Oh my, I've played my GC town very little compared to NL, but still there are several things. I miss...

- Rover talking to you on the train. Yes, I know it makes the trip a lot longer, but still, it's Rover we're talking about! :love:
- The maquettes. THE MAQUETTES, dammit! There were so many, I'm impressed.
- Pieces of furniture that got re-designed or directly replaced. Some for the better, some for the worse. The classic series had quite the noticeable makeup. Or the waterpool? It was so cute in GC!
- The villagers that disappeared forever. In this town I made sure that all my 15 villagers were from the "forsaken" group that never made it beyond this game.
- The lilypads in the river. Just a bit of nature deco that went a long way in making the town feel beautiful. And the blue cosmos flower... we only had one blue flower and it was removed :rolleyes:

These are the ones that come to my mind right now, but I'm sure there's more.

From AF+ I kind of miss the more Japanese elements to it. What we got over here is good too but it's cool to see how the characters/features we know came to be.

-The town models were so good in AC. I tried to build my town in the basement, they were so fun to collect and put together!
-The balls were fun to kick around, apparently villagers could request them but I don't think I ever got that
-larger villager houses (from the outside), I like how they looked
-General vibe/small appearance things like the lilypads that were mentioned above, the train really added to it too
-having towns be randomized and have certain features be rare

In general for all four releases (and I know some of these have already been listed, here, but I still miss these features and mechanics):
  • Has the best soundtrack in the series, full stop. I prefer the music in the Museum from the GC ports, too.
  • How culturally different the localization was.
  • The graphics hold up quite well for an N64 game. It's probably due to its cartoonish aesthetics.
  • Summer tents.
  • Going to villagers' houses without them being inside (as long as they were in the same acre, it was possible).
  • Unlike City Folk, real-life-based events seemed a lot more lively.
  • A writable diary. I don't understand why this was removed in Wild World. That would've made even more sense to have it in that game.
  • I find the dump more convenient than having a recycling bin in the Post Office/Resident Services building. You could see what was in there, and it didn't interrupt the game's wonderful soundtrack, by having you walk through said Post Office/Resident Services building.
  • The color of the menus would randomly change over time, with different logos scrolling in the background. That was also pretty neat.
  • I find villagers sleeping outside their houses quite adorable. The 5.A.M music fits in with waking them perfectly, even if I don't particular miss the attitude of some of the personality types when I did wake them.
  • Can't believe no one has mentioned the fact that whenever the game starts or when it's being saved, a villager of your town walks you through the menu. That's definitely something that should come back in a future game, and it never should have been changed to just one special NPC.
e+, specifically:
  • You could actually befriend villagers. This can be measured by the fact that they wave at you (without having to tap on them as in WW/CF) if they liked you well enough. They'll even give you a live version of a K.K. song, depending on which song they have played in their house. Name any other game where you can listen to a live recording of K.K. music in your house. It would've made trying to befriend villager in PG! a lot more tolerable if this was added prior to e+...
  • Waking up Tom Nook (and the Nooklings when Nookington's is built) was hilarious. And convenient, in spite of its increase and decrease of buying and selling.
(This post will be continue to be updated as I spend more time playing AFe+.)

Last edited:
I started to play acgc recently and there's lots of little things I liked from it
  • The diary!! Its nice to see the days you have played, check when there's an event and to write on it
  • Golden trees and how every single tree turns pink during cherry blossom season, it looks so pretty!
  • And talking about cherry blossoms, that's an event that lasts a whole week! Like Bunny Day in ACNH but way better, it even has its own hourly music.
  • In general, most events are more ''alive'' in that game. I want to see my villagers play different sports, to prepare meal together at the plaza....
  • How fireworks are reflected in the river
  • Nook's lottery at the end of the month and the surprise bags during new year and sales day!! They are so fun
  • I actually miss Tortimer 💔 I want a grandpa to give me little gifts again
  • Lots of the villagers' dialogue are so funny, someone once gave me an eye examination lol.
And as they have said before, the game felt like an actual forest. Newer games focus too much on customization and multiplayer, which is cool, but I also wish they could bring back more holidays (specially made-up ones) and little events in general to make it feel like it's own world again.

And as they have said before, the game felt like an actual forest.
A lot of that feel could be contributed to the game's music. God, it's so good, and it's just about the only soundtrack in the series that feels arboreal while still having hourly themes with catchy synthetic instruments in the background.

A lot of that feel could be contributed to the game's music. God, it's so good, and it's just about the only soundtrack in the series that feels arboreal while still having hourly themes with catchy synthetic instruments in the background.
Right, even though ACWW/CF have my favourite hourly music, the ACGC music gave the game a unique atmosphere, I love the little things in it like the cat meows that plays at times.
My only complaint is that there's only a single theme during rainy/snowy days, but the rest is amazing

I miss visiting the dump and seeing what was there. I also miss kicking the balls around and villagers would play with you. I miss the interactiveness of the game.

My only complaint is that there's only a single theme during rainy/snowy days, but the rest is amazing
That's only half true. The hourly themes still have their own Christmas-esque variations (though many of them sound identical to their Cherry Blossom counterparts) when it snows.
The music that plays when it rains is a nice tune, but precipitation lasts for an entire day. Don't understand why they didn't fix this when the game was ported to the GameCube; makes me wonder how different the hourly themes would've sounded during rainy days.

Last edited:
The rainy day theme. I don't care repetitive it is. Bring it back, Nintendo, you fecking cowards.
The villagers were never mean. That's just a meme. They can speak with a more hostile tone in the original compared to other games, but only if you piss them off (abandon them or hit them repeatedly).

The villagers were never mean. That's just a meme.
It's not a meme, though. The reason why PG! is highlighted by its dialogue is because the villagers were mean. They constantly insulted the player over the most trivial things (i.e. getting an answer wrong). Snooties and Crankies often showed their "gratitude" for completing simple tasks with backhanded complements, initial greetings among new neighbors would sometimes result in mockery towards the player in question. And do I really need to bring up the paintjobs, the stealing, and the scamming?

They can speak with a more hostile tone in the original compared to other games, but only if you piss them off (abandon them or hit them repeatedly).
It's not that different from Wild World — villagers in that game were just as hostile when it came to being hit repeatedly; probably even moreso. It's also stupid for them to blow their load on you when you're not always going to be active.

Last edited:
From AF+ I kind of miss the more Japanese elements to it. What we got over here is good too but it's cool to see how the characters/features we know came to be.

-The town models were so good in AC. I tried to build my town in the basement, they were so fun to collect and put together!
-The balls were fun to kick around, apparently villagers could request them but I don't think I ever got that
-larger villager houses (from the outside), I like how they looked
-General vibe/small appearance things like the lilypads that were mentioned above, the train really added to it too
-having towns be randomized and have certain features be rare
Yess!! The models of the different buildings were so good!! I know that some of them are in New Leaf and some of the other games but if I can remember correctly didn't they have models of things other than buildings like flowers or the train?? It was so amazing!! I loved those!!

Back