What are some of your favorite bug and fish dialogue for this game?

Variety.Gamer 4438

Always start again
Bells
Switch
3285-0551-5525
Mom's Plush
Jingle Christmas Doll
Isabelle
Lobo
January Birthstone (Garnet)
I love the bug and fish puns, references, rhyme schemes and whatever else you would call them for this game! They are probably my favorite part of the game alongside K.K. Slider. I love them so much that I even take a picture when I read a particularly funny one!

Some of my favorites are (sorry they are all fish):

Mahi-Mahi: "I caught a mahi-mahi! It's all mahine-mahine."
Dorado: "I caught a dorado! 🎶I say "dorado," you say "doraydo."🎶" (Ik it's only one music note, but that's the best I found in the emoji log)
Blue Marlin: "I caught a blue marlin! Listen to this fish. It's got a point."
Arowana: "I caught an arowana! I'd make a joke, but I don't 'wana."

Last edited:
Probably the red dragonfly ("I didn't even have to roll initiative!") and the blue weevil ("it's the lesser of blue weevils", or something similar).

My favourite puns are the sea bass and coelacanth.

"I caught a sea bass! No, wait- it's at least a C+!"
Sea bass puns are great in every AC game. This one like its predecessor tells you how remarkably common and average this fish is.

"Blast from the past! I caught a coelacanth! Think positive! Be a coela-CAN!"
This pun is very cool. "Be Coela-CAN" should be made into an AC inspirational poster.

"I caught a sea bass! No, wait- it's at least a C+!"
I still don't understand the C+ thing. It's the "no, wait" that throws me off. I can understand why there's some connection between sea and C. I understand that a C+ is an average grade. If the quote was just "I caught a sea bass. It's a C+!" I would have no problems with it. Why do they say, "no, wait"? Are they saying it's not a sea bass? Are they implying that "bass" is another kind of grade modifier, like a minus? But it sounds more like "plus" than "minus," so wouldn't that be redundant if they're going to a bass/plus pun? Am I thinking about this too much? (Probably!) I'm just wondering if there's more to the joke than just the sea/C thing, because it's been hurting my brain since the game came out. ^o^;>

As for ones I like, I also enjoy the "didn't have to roll initiative" reference for the red dragonfly, though I don't think it's a pun. Many of the fish and bug quotes aren't puns at all. Like the one for the red snapper with the word "dapper." That's just a rhyme.

I still don't understand the C+ thing. It's the "no, wait" that throws me off. I can understand why there's some connection between sea and C. I understand that a C+ is an average grade. If the quote was just "I caught a sea bass. It's a C+!" I would have no problems with it. Why do they say, "no, wait"? Are they saying it's not a sea bass? Are they implying that "bass" is another kind of grade modifier, like a minus? But it sounds more like "plus" than "minus," so wouldn't that be redundant if they're going to a bass/plus pun? Am I thinking about this too much? (Probably!) I'm just wondering if there's more to the joke than just the sea/C thing, because it's been hurting my brain since the game came out. ^o^;>

As for ones I like, I also enjoy the "didn't have to roll initiative" reference for the red dragonfly, though I don't think it's a pun. Many of the fish and bug quotes aren't puns at all. Like the one for the red snapper with the word "dapper." That's just a rhyme.

The red dragonfly reference is definitely not a pun. It is referring to the Red Dragon from the Dungeons and Dragons tabletop game, one of the really common boss troops. I'll change the title to something more fitting - my bad.

Oh and about the Sea Bass dialogue. According to an article on polygon.com, Rob Heiret, who wrote the bit, tweeted that he had originally wanted the grade given to be a C-. So yes, if it would have gone "I caught a sea bass. No wait - It's at least a C-." or "I caught a sea bass. No wait - It's a C-." the dialogue would have made a bit more sense. All this said however, to me bass sounding like plus is still a stretch. The article also pointed out that Nintendo wanted to instead shine a more positive light so players would feel less annoyed after catching this fish for the hundredth time, so perhaps they forgot to proofread the pun before the game got released (so essentially the fish lost any string of comedic flavor it could have had). Either way, I think out of all the Animal Crossing games, I think the Sea Bass has the weakest bit of dialogue for New Horizons with the grade scale pun, which is a shame since it is one of the most common fish.

Post automatically merged:

Edit: I fixed the title and OP to better incorporate all the different fish and bug dialogue that players will stumble across. It's cool that with even some fish like the Blue Marlin, the funny bit has nothing to do with its name but rather some part of its body.

Last edited:
@Variety.Gamer 4438 Thank you for explaining that about the gosh darn sea bass! I hadn't heard about what the writer said before, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who was scratching my head about it.

Actually, thnx for bringing it to my attention. I hadn't given the pun much thought until you brought it up and it was definitely interesting to finally read about its origins.

I think in the end Nintendo did more to hurt the poor fish's reputation in their attempt to save it, which is kind of ironic.

I didn't mean to turn this into a sea bass discussion XD

i had to google them since i couldn’t remember a single quote on my own for the life of me LOL, but my favourites are;

“i caught a bagworm! guess i’m a bragworm!”

“i caught a char! now i’m gonna sit on it!”

“i caught an evening cicada! this time it’s WETTER than an odding cicada.”
what 😭

“i caught a frog! or it’s a new neighbour...and i have some apologizing to do.”

“i caught a man-faced stink bug! reminds me of my uncle!”

“i caught a scarab beetle! it’s just a dung beetle with better hobbies.”

"I caught a dung beetle! This species likes feces!"

"I caught an ant! TELL ME WHERE THE QUEEN IS!"

"I caught a frog! Or it's a new neighbor... and I have some apologizing to do."

"I caught an anchovy! Stay away from my pizza!"

"GAAAAH! I got a giant isopod! It's the crustodian of the sea."
I like most honestly. The dung beetle and frog make me laugh the most.

“i caught an evening cicada! this time it’s WETTER than an odding cicada.” what
That's what it says when you catch one when it's raining. When it's sunny, it says, "I caught an evening cicada! Better than an odding cicada..."

Back