• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Villager Catchphrase Stories

Alcremie

Alcremie and Mimikyu are the best fairy types.
Bells
User Title Color Change (Seashells)
One of my favorite features in Animal Crossing is setting your villager's catchphrase. It can make things they say even funnier depending on the context!

What are some of your favorite catchphrases you've made your villagers have? Got any screenshots of funny things they said?

I set Agent S' catchphrase to "punch me" and whenever she says it it makes me laugh. A lot. I always read what she says out loud to my mom and she laughs too.

(sorry for bad grammar, my hands are kind of shaky right now and it makes typing hard. also my mind isn't fully "awake" yet..)

HNI_0077.JPG
Careful, Gaston. Don't want to get crushed by a train like that guy in ASDF movie...

A few I have done in the past are 'you pickle', 'yeah, sins', 'as IF', and 'sweetheart' (this one is only used on Eunice. It sounds old lady-ish.)

There's not much of a story behind them besides the fact that sometimes I can laugh at my villagers' expense. lol

Last edited:
HA the buttquack one made me laugh :pP

here's some more of mine

HNI_0003 (6).JPG

HNI_0015.JPG
..I'm scared...

HNI_0013.JPG
This is from me visiting mom's town

HNI_0064 (1).JPG

HNI_0069 (1).JPG
unrelated, but Agent S is a girl...

I personally liked giving Tipper the catchphrase of "MOOOOOO". Unlike the actual cow sounds you hear, Tipper says it letter by letter which makes it even more funnier.

i dont particularly care for catchphrases. i make everyone just say "my dude" and move on with my day

Every once in a while, one of my villagers will pick up the catchphrase of another villager and it really annoys me because I like their catchphrase just fine usually and it feels so weird to have them say another villager's phrase. So when the chance comes, I usually just change it back to their default one.

one time i went on a trip for a while (a week) and i forgot my ds. i called up my younger sister to make care of the village so no one moves and weeds don't grow.

when i came back, at least 3 of the villagers had the f word as a catchphrase. i had forgot to tell my sister to not mess with the catchphrases.. it sucked but at the same time, it was kinda funny.

- - - Post Merge - - -

HA the buttquack one made me laugh :pP

View attachment 230610

omg puck looks so disappointed haha :D the "fork you" makes this image even better!

Last edited:
I like changing my villagers catchphrase to their Japanese name. Ex: My Chevre's current catchphrase is "Yuki~", Hugh's current catchphrase is "Kucchane", Rowan's current catchphrase is "Gomez", etc.

There are few villagers i can't change their catchphrase because it's already good and cute when they say it like Stella's "baa-dabing" and Hazel's "Uni-wow" (although i eventually changed Hazel's catchphrase to somewhat similar like "Uni-wowie" or "Uni-wozza")

Last edited:
I like changing my villagers catchphrase to their Japanese name. Ex: My Chevre's current catchphrase is "Yuki~", Hugh's current catchphrase is "Kucchane", Rowan's current catchphrase is "Gomez", etc.

There are few villagers i can't change their catchphrase because it's already good and cute when they say it like Stella's "baa-dabing" and Hazel's "Uni-wow" (although i changed Hazel's catchphrase to somewhat similar like "Uni-wowie" or "Uni-wozza")

I made my Hazel say “uni-wut?” :p

I’m pretty bad at giving catchphrases so I also go off what their original saying is. Sometimes I combine them with others in my town. For example, Tangy’s initial catchphrase is reeeeOWR and Dizzy’s is woo-oo. So I gave them the catchphrase “woo-owr” haha.

ha! right?
(this was supposed to be replying to moonbyu's post, for some reason it didn't quote)
HNI_0004 (5).JPG

they kept on mentioning this for over a year

Last edited:
Year's ago Derwin moved his house onto my perfect apple orchard, to say that I was displeased would be an understatement :mad:.
Anyway he ask's me give him a new catchphrase, I decided to give him the catchphrase "up my butt" I found this very amusing at the time.
Then a few days later and Bud has started to say "up my butt" I still found this very funny at the time.
A week later and I talk to Twiggy and she started to say "up my butt"
I remember thinking WHAT HAVE I DONE!? I never thought a catchphrase would backfire on me, well there you go.

Year's ago Derwin moved his house onto my perfect apple orchard, to say that I was displeased would be an understatement :mad:.
Anyway he ask's me give him a new catchphrase, I decided to give him the catchphrase "up my butt" I found this very amusing at the time.
Then a few days later and Bud has started to say "up my butt" I still found this very funny at the time.
I remember thinking WHAT HAVE I DONE!? I never thought a catchphrase would backfire on me, well there you go.

Oh no

that is both hilarious... and disturbing

(sorry for not posting sooner! I forgot about this place for awhile)

Recently I set Agent S' catchphrase to 'in jail' since she is a super hero and probably would put people 'in jail'

and on my birthday she said "i can't wait to celebrate my birthday, in jail!" and I just coulodn't stop laughing

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh no

that is both hilarious... and disturbing

(sorry for not posting sooner! I forgot about this place for awhile)

Recently I set Agent S' catchphrase to 'in jail' since she is a super hero and probably would put people 'in jail'

and on my birthday she said "i can't wait to celebrate my birthday, in jail!" and I just coulodn't stop laughing

I made my Hazel say “uni-wut?” :p

I’m pretty bad at giving catchphrases so I also go off what their original saying is. Sometimes I combine them with others in my town. For example, Tangy’s initial catchphrase is reeeeOWR and Dizzy’s is woo-oo. So I gave them the catchphrase “woo-owr” haha.

lmaoo “uni-wut?” is adorable :p

ha! right?
(this was supposed to be replying to moonbyu's post, for some reason it didn't quote)
View attachment 230709

they kept on mentioning this for over a year

this is incredibly unfortunate but also incredibly funny
something similar happened to me, back in 2014? I had wished for Robin to move into my town. I eventually got her from someone in early 2015 and for years after they would mention it (until October 2019 actually) because I kept missing my birthdays when I played in the previous years.

as for catchphrases, I've made all my villagers (or almost all of them) say "beep beep" because it's really cute but it's also super funny every time they talk to me and they say "beep beep" at the end

I made all my villagers greetings as “Squanchaaay!” from the Squanchy character in Rick and Morty, and all of their catchphrases is “squanch”, lol.
I just found it funny because the whole point of “squanch” what that they could use it to replace any words in their speech basically and you could never figure out what it really meant.

Back