• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Valve Steam Deck - Thoughts so far?

Thoughts so far?

• Looks promising, I am getting it!

• Looks interesting, thinking of getting it.

• Need more information on it before making a decision

• Looks good, but not for me.

• Looks bad, I will not be getting this.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'll be keeping my eye on the console! I have a really hard time playing games on the TV - it gives me motion sickness for some reason so I really only play handhelds. Which limits the games I can play but in general I don't mind since Nintendo games are definitely my favourite. I have a laptop and I can play on the smaller laptop screen without it making me sick the only issue there is that my laptop isn't really able to run games.

Looking at pictures of it though it does look uncomfortable to hold so it wouldn't be a day one buy for me or anything. I'll definitely wait for reviews and whatnot before I buy it. I don't play a ton of games so I'm happy with my Switch and 3DS still - it would be nice to have access to games that either can't be ported to the Switch or don't run the best even if they're available on it.

Considering I sold my Switch and moved over to Steam while ago for, reasons. I am pretty excited for this and honestly. I think it looks promising. It is more powerful than the Switch and only like $50 more than the OLED Nintendo is trying to push. It is just better. I love handhelds and thought I was going to have to do without with my choice. Not any longer.. lol.
The Steam library is large and has good games and considering most of the games on my Switch were indie and the ones I enjoyed most were indie, it was a smart move.
My spouse and I are getting one to share. We may get another in the future if we really like it or I am going to just snag it away if he doesn't care for it.

I think it looks cool and would buy it if it was a switch but I won’t because it can’t play games like Minecraft, Fortnite, Nintendo, or Xbox games. Now if it could run Minecraft, Fortnite, and Xbox then I would buy but otherwise no.

I think it looks cool and would buy it if it was a switch but I won’t because it can’t play games like Minecraft, Fortnite, Nintendo, or Xbox games. Now if it could run Minecraft, Fortnite, and Xbox then I would buy but otherwise no.

It can, it's not limited to the Steam library. They said you could even uninstall the Steam OS if you wanted to. They said to think of it like a mini PC and less like a game system. So you should definitely be able to play those types of games.
Post automatically merged:

I'm honestly very likely to get one, since it would allow me to play so many of my favourite games away from my desk. Not even talking about the newer titles there. With emulation, it opens up a whole load of other game libraries too. This seems so much more promising than Nintendo's new Switch model, and if I'm buying anything it's definitely going to be the Steam Deck now. I've never had much trouble with controller ergonomics anyway, so that won't be stopping me.

I've put in the reservation, we'll see how I feel by the time orders become available!

If it can handle Dolphin that would be pretty sick. It would finally be like a handheld Gamecube in addition to other emulated consoles. If Nintendo ever plans to release Gamecube ports or ports of their other console games they better act fast. People will realize if the Steam Deck can do it there's no point of waiting for Nintendo to release them. Like for real, the Wii U has some Gameboy, DS, Nintendo 64 and more available while the Switch doesn't. Their decisions are very confusing to me.

Last edited:
Incredible potential as both a portable device and a media center powerhouse. I've been chatting with a few people about this and we share a general consensus: not going to be an immediate buy when preorders go live. Going to wait to see tests/performance from consumers when it releases.

I'm also skeptical about the layout and battery life, though I'd see myself using this more docked in a living room if I'm not at my computer rather than taking it out and about. The Switch itself is uncomfortable for me when using as a handheld and this looks a bit heftier and somewhat awkward to use.

Thought it was funny to see the only difference across price points was the increased storage capacity (don't consider the extras in the 512GB version selling features). Seeing 64GB as an option for this type of device is...questionable? Would likely go with the 256 and use a micro SD card if I buy it in the future.

Either way, smidge of excitement when I saw this yesterday. 🥳
^This. I am very interested in it due to the size of my Steam library and the idea of it suddenly becoming portable. Don't have to rebuy games to play them on it, unlike with the Switch. With that said, I am sceptical again of the battery life, but more importantly how compatible SteamOS will be in the future with most games given the state of Linux-supported games at the moment. Sure, it's possible to install Windows on it instead, but the question then is how well will it perform if it isn't designed with Windows in mind? Think for myself after seeing how it goes after a year release I might buy the 256GB version, assuming that they haven't come out with a more refined model by then.

The Steam Deck seems interesting in a few ways and I can see some appeal for others as well as myself. That said, I'm not all that into playing games on a handheld if there are other options available. Like, I've owned a Sega Game Gear, a Sega Nomad, a Game Boy Color, a Game Boy Advance, a DS Lite, and a few 3DSes, but for the most part I got those because they had exclusive games like Pokémon, Animal Crossing New Leaf, some Fire Emblem games, some Shin Megami Tensei games, etc. which couldn't really be played on home consoles. The closest analog to the Steam Deck situation here would be the Sega Nomad since it was essentially a portable Sega Genesis that you would insert regular Genesis cartridges into.

Suffice it to say, I prefer bigger screens, whether it be a computer or a home console hooked up to a television. My Switch lives in its dock, I've never played it handheld. If the option is there to play the games I'm interested in on a bigger screen, I'm taking that option.

Between the above, the awkward-looking button placement, and the varying prices tied to different storage sizes considering the increasing size of modern games, I'd personally rather just invest in a gaming PC. But yeah, again, I can see why it's appealing. Can't say it's something I'd never purchase, but not all that interested currently.

Back