• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Twilight Princess HD General Thread

Is this alright?

• Yes, it's just DLC.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • No, it's unfair for those who missed the preorder.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • I don't care one way or another.

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
Oh wow, I haven't looked into any news for the Wii U version since the initial news was released about it.

Well, TP is definitely one of my favorite LoZ games, but I was put-off by how it didn't look that much different than the original Gamecube version, so it would've been just a waste of money since I could just do a new save if I wanted to replay... but these shots of the game look so good! I suppose I might get it after all!

Bumping this thread with some relevant information.

I got the game two days early, so I'm playing it now. The graphical updates are pretty and of expected quality, but they do come at a price. I'm noticing a lot of slowdown in the game, mostly in detailed and large areas, like Link's house and Faron Woods. In cutscenes it also happens when the game is loading in new assets, meaning the music doesn't sync up with the scenes as it should. This was especially bothersome in the cutscene where Link first encounters the Twilight. The music was a full 3-4 seconds ahead by the end of it. Sound effects still play when they should, as animations and sound effects are triggered together.

Some things to note: I'm playing it in off-TV mode, but this shouldn't make a difference. It's the disc version of the game, so I'm not sure if digital copies will have the same problems.

That's unfortunate.

I did hear of similar things happening with the original, at least from one friend of mine, but they were emulating it, so I'm not sure that was an ideal situation. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Either way, looking forward to playing this game for the first time. ;;

Last edited:
I did hear of similar things happening with the original, at least from one friend of mine, but they were emulating it, so I'm not sure that was an ideal situation. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Either way, looking forward to playing this game for the first time. ;;
I played TP on both the GC and Wii, and never had slowdown, so I assume that was the emulator.

Anyway, I just played through that entire part again, just to check whether it was actually the off-TV rendering (even though I dismissed the idea), and it is. It plays fine on my TV, there's no slowdown whatsoever.

Other small nigglings though:
- Horseback riding has been changed, but whether or not it's an improvement is up to opinion. The new style of controlling is to tilt the control stick all the way right if you want Epona to start turning that way while riding. Before it was up and right. I prefer the old style myself.
- When horseback riding there was always this small squeaky noise that played at random intervals. This sound is much more noticeable now, and it's pissing me off.
- Ilia has that HD duckface.

For the rest, I'm positive about it. It's great to see Midna and Zant in all their detail, since it was previously blurred out so much. Models are still kinda blocky, and animations are still kinda wooden at times, but we were never promised a Wind Waker HD-style re-release anyway. All I hope for is that off-TV play will be fixed soon.

Last edited:

I got the game two days early, so I'm playing it now. The graphical updates are pretty and of expected quality, but they do come at a price. I'm noticing a lot of slowdown in the game, mostly in detailed and large areas, like Link's house and Faron Woods. In cutscenes it also happens when the game is loading in new assets, meaning the music doesn't sync up with the scenes as it should. This was especially bothersome in the cutscene where Link first encounters the Twilight. The music was a full 3-4 seconds ahead by the end of it. Sound effects still play when they should, as animations and sound effects are triggered together.

Some things to note: I'm playing it in off-TV mode, but this shouldn't make a difference. It's the disc version of the game, so I'm not sure if digital copies will have the same problems.

Really? I played the game at a friend's house for about an hour and it was totally fine. I mean the game is locked to 30 fps but so is the original so i don't mind that. Never experienced any slowdown.

Last edited:

Do you mean like this?

They say it's mostly related to fog effects though and not seen much contrary to your experience though.

Do you mean like this?

-snip-

They say it's mostly related to fog effects though and not seen much contrary to your experience though.
It was much earlier in the game, like the starting hour. There's no huge effects there. But as I noted in my follow-up post, I only experienced the slowdown with off-TV play. When I played the game on my TV that part ran fine.

Game speed is probably affected by the FPS, hence the lock, but a drop to about 27 is (somewhat) acceptable, going down to 24 is pushing it. I'm talking about experiencing a drop to about 15 or even 10 FPS.

What I said is only relevant to those planning to play the game in off-TV. I prefer playing that way, so I got pretty annoyed when I found out the slowdown was caused by off-TV rendering.

It was much earlier in the game, like the starting hour. There's no huge effects there. But as I noted in my follow-up post, I only experienced the slowdown with off-TV play. When I played the game on my TV that part ran fine.

Game speed is probably affected by the FPS, hence the lock, but a drop to about 27 is (somewhat) acceptable, going down to 24 is pushing it. I'm talking about experiencing a drop to about 15 or even 10 FPS.

What I said is only relevant to those planning to play the game in off-TV. I prefer playing that way, so I got pretty annoyed when I found out the slowdown was caused by off-TV rendering.

Oh you are close to your Wii U right? It could be an issue with the connection between the Game-Pad and the console. It could also be a temporary glitch. For example my Splatoon game sometimes has out of sync music as well and everything needs to load at least a minute. It's fixed when i restart the software though!

Last edited:
I'm talking about experiencing a drop to about 15 or even 10 FPS.

Yeah that's horrible and definitely not acceptable if related to the game directly and not the Gamepad acting up. Hope that's all it is. Either that or maybe something is wrong with your disc? I'm sure this would have been mentioned in a review otherwise.

Oh you are close to your Wii U right? It could be an issue with the connection between the Game-Pad and the console. It could also be a temporary glitch. For example my Splatoon game sometimes has out of sync music as well and everything needs to load at least a minute. It's fixed when i restart the software though!
I'm not too far away from the system, though I have experienced de-sync at times. However, it's often paired with visual tearing and sound loss. I did not experience those two during these moments of slowdown, and the lag in Faron Woods was persistent. It wasn't there before or after that short part. Cutscenes would also not desync.

Yeah that's horrible and definitely not acceptable if related to the game directly and not the Gamepad acting up. Hope that's all it is. Either that or maybe something is wrong with your disc? I'm sure this would have been mentioned in a review otherwise.
It could be a disc issue, but I think it would've happened even while playing on TV if that was the case. Also, reviewers for the most part do not see if off-TV play brings up any problems, unless they're forced to use it (like with Hyrule Warriors co-op).

I'll go play the beginning part using off-TV again and see if I run into the same problems, just to be sure if it was a one-time issue or if it'll be a persistent problem.

Sadly I can now confirm that it IS a problem with off-TV play. I tried to vary the distance to the Wii U system as well, and the problems I mentioned were present even while I was basically on top of it.

The lag experienced in Link's house is situational. It happens when the camera is facing certain directions.
In the Faron Woods area, just running towards where you need to go drops FPS to about 15~20, though it'll sometimes jump back up to 25~30.

Most telling is this. At 2:25 in this cutscene, there's a musical cue to give an extra effect to Link discovering the Twilight. When playing off-TV, the music is so out of sync that this cue happens when it shows Link's face looking around (starts at 2:20 in the video), before it cuts to the wall. So yeah, non-looping music desyncs quickly in cutscenes.

I was really hoping it was a one-time thing.

But there you go. People that plan to play TPHD in off-TV mode: expect some annoying lag/slowdown (or play on your TV).

Sadly I can now confirm that it IS a problem with off-TV play. I tried to vary the distance to the Wii U system as well, and the problems I mentioned were present even while I was basically on top of it.

The lag experienced in Link's house is situational. It happens when the camera is facing certain directions.
In the Faron Woods area, just running towards where you need to go drops FPS to about 15~20, though it'll sometimes jump back up to 25~30.

Most telling is this. At 2:25 in this cutscene, there's a musical cue to give an extra effect to Link discovering the Twilight. When playing off-TV, the music is so out of sync that this cue happens when it shows Link's face looking around (starts at 2:20 in the video), before it cuts to the wall. So yeah, non-looping music desyncs quickly in cutscenes.

I was really hoping it was a one-time thing.

But there you go. People that plan to play TPHD in off-TV mode: expect some annoying lag/slowdown (or play on your TV).

That's really strange and barely makes any sense. Off-TV shouldn't effect the performance of anything, it's just streaming the same game to the GamePad.

Thanks Funky Barn developers!

With Twilight Princess HD's restore hearts and arrows amiibo functionality.
What would happen if I happen to have both Zelda AND Sheik for hearts and both Link AND Toon Link for arrows?

Will what I am potentially thinking happen or is it literally one or the other once a day?

With Twilight Princess HD's restore hearts and arrows amiibo functionality.
What would happen if I happen to have both Zelda AND Sheik for hearts and both Link AND Toon Link for arrows?

Will what I am potentially thinking happen or is it literally one or the other once a day?
Apart from Ganondorf and Wolf Link, you can use each amiibo once a day. So Link and Toon Link can be used in the same day, same for Zelda and Sheik.

So I've played a bit now up to after visiting Hyrule Castle with Midna. Is it just me or are the controls/movement for Epona terrible? I can't stand it, it's incredibly finicky with changing direction and keeps getting stuck on walls easily. Could have sworn it wasn't this bad in the originals!

So I've played a bit now up to after visiting Hyrule Castle with Midna. Is it just me or are the controls/movement for Epona terrible? I can't stand it, it's incredibly finicky with changing direction and keeps getting stuck on walls easily. Could have sworn it wasn't this bad in the originals!

It's karma bcos you didn't make twilight princess banner

Told you, man. Maybe it's improved for some people, but I hate it.
While Epona is moving, you need to push your stick all the way in the direction you want to go. Otherwise the turn is slow as all hell.

It's karma bcos you didn't make twilight princess banner

that's really funny because I actually already made one earlier in the week in advance to put up and completely forgot to until this post

thanks jake

Told you, man. Maybe it's improved for some people, but I hate it.
While Epona is moving, you need to push your stick all the way in the direction you want to go. Otherwise the turn is slow as all hell.

Just looked up in the thread now that you said that. I actually completely missed your comments on Epona earlier so it's not even affected by hearing about it. :p

Does anyone know what the timers (or whatever) on the map are?

I'm not sure what you're referring to? Maybe I'm not far enough. I never got far in the original.

Back