• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Town full of awesome top tier villagers or Town of unpopulars that fit a town theme?

Quite a bit of tier 2-3 are my favorites honestly. I just have problems doing the same thing as everyone else I guess lol... Just a natural hipster, can't help it.

Example: Sports fan becomes fan of the team that one a championship/superbowl whatever so they hop on the bandwagon because it's popular.
If someone likes that team before they were popular, or didn't know the team was popular they are part of the "bandwagon" but didn't hop on it with all the new fans. They were either original fans of the team, or just picked the team blindly and found out it was a popular winning team.
Aside from my example I will try and keep whatever villagers I like that move in, regardless of if they are popular or not.

Last edited:
Just because someone likes a Tier 1 it's a bandwagon thing? Makes perfect sense.
I think a lot of people forget that you can select villagers because of their popularity, reasoning that their popularity means you're likely to enjoy having them in your town, and indeed you end up liking them even more. Maybe the reasoning is dubious, but the idea that someone who obtains villagers because of their popularity necessarily does not greatly like those villagers does not seem fair to me.

I don't care what villagers other people have because it literally doesn't affect me at all lmao
When I visit other towns I like to see what ppl have done with their houses and landscaping!! I never get tired of looking at other people's houses hahah So if you're making a theme town I'll be obvious and say get whoever matches the theme.

just get whoever matches the theme you want? what does it matter if they're popular or not...? ._.

I think a lot of people forget that you can select villagers because of their popularity, reasoning that their popularity means you're likely to enjoy having them in your town, and indeed you end up liking them even more. Maybe the reasoning is dubious, but the idea that someone who obtains villagers because of their popularity necessarily does not greatly like those villagers does not seem fair to me.

Sure you can but you can't just automatically assume it's because of a bandwagon thing.

Last edited:
I don't think it should really matter. When I visit towns, as others have already stated, I tend to look at their landscaping/placement of things/etc and just kind of run past the villagers while taking a quick glance at them. I have a good mix of villagers in my town, I think, and as long as those villagers make me happy, I don't care what other people think. For example, one of the reasons I wanted NL was because of Merengue. Not because I knew she was popular. Hell, I didn't even know that a lot of the villagers I wanted were tier 1/2/whatever before joining this site.

Last edited:
I see people wanting and talking about the popular ones so much that it has made them unattractive to me.I wouldn't want some of them in my town.They just seem too common.A lot of the lower tiers are pretty cool.So many of them don't get enough credit.Although, Klaus moved in my town, and I don't much care for him.lol.Maybe I will learn to like him.

I like all different types of villagers. The ones that are listed as low tier are in my town.
One is my BFF.

Just go with what villagers you like, really xD

For my future copy, I am going to use villagers fitting my town theme. Some of them are popular, others aren't. I don't care as long as I like them. Though I still cannot decide on my final slot: Kyle or Kiki? o_?

Despite tiers, if the animals fit your theme, I say go for it. I would rather see one collective theme instead of all "popular/tier 1" villagers and no sense as to what the town is.

Last edited:
Well, I think people should just get whatever villagers they want. But I will admit, having some less common villagers is a little more interesting when visiting a dream town. Landscaping is more important to me though.

I don't really mind that people have their towns full of popular villagers. I mean if you like them, there's nothing wrong with it. Buut yeah it's really lame to get popular villagers just because they're popular and people want them.. They're not gonna make your town any better :D I like seeing less popular villagers as well, cause some of my faves aren't very popular here and it's cool to see people having them in their towns c:

Why are top tier villagers necessarily more "awesome"? Maybe you should ask yourself why you like them to begin with. I understand that lots of people want those villagers because of their design and they're popular because their looks match the preferences of lots of people here. However, if you're just thinking they're awesome because they're popular and turning the game into a popularity contest... why are you even playing it? There's no point in getting 10 villagers that everyone else loves but which aren't as much fun for you and which thousands upon thousands of towns have. There's nothing wrong with liking popular villagers, but liking them just because they're popular doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I'd say go for villagers that fit your theme regardless of popularity. Just pick the ones that fit best and which you personally would like to have in your town.

Personally, I prefer the unpopular villagers over most of the popular ones.

Back