• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Touchy subject: How have other people reacted to you playing AC? (if you're 16+)

I am 12 (and I did read the title).

I honestly haven't told anyone cause my friends would laugh most likely. In fact, my friends don't do any gaming at all. I don't tell them because it's something I play for myself and I don't want to share it with others in case they start playing it. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does. I play ACNL to escape the pressures of daily life and to release my inner child. I do that a lot at school anyway, but I don't think people know how kiddy I am. They think I'm all cool and quite boyish in a way cause I play tekken and have a marvel backpack, which I share with people. I once played AC at a parents evening and on my last day of elementary/primary school. No one was really watching me but there was actually this boy at my primary school who said 'Oh my gosh, I saw the adverts for that and it looks so cool!' I think he was trying to play along so he wouldn't make me feel childish. There's this girl at my current school who plays it, but I don't talk to her.

Honestly, I think it'd be more of an issue for ages 10-15 or the "awkward puberty stages" because you're trying to find an identity and worried about others judging you. Once people mature they don't usually care what others think anymore...especially gamers :p

Honestly, I think it'd be more of an issue for ages 10-15 or the "awkward puberty stages" because you're trying to find an identity and worried about others judging you. Once people mature they don't usually care what others think anymore...especially gamers :p

Exactly this.

It's pretty ironic, but people laughed at me for playing "childish" games when both them and I were children. When I was 11-15, I think. 16+ is when people actually start being all like "Woah, what are you playing?" instead of judging you.

I am 18 now and sometimes even show AC or Pokemon to my classmates if they come along to watch. I've had someone I'd never expect to become pretty surprised and say that AC looks really cool. (happens more with Pokemon, but AC is extremely unknown here, so it's even more of a shock to people, haha.)

Last edited:
My friends don't really play video games that much, so I don't usually bring up the topic of AC. My family don't really care and the friends that know how much I play it, aren't bothered. I wish I had more rl friends who played it though ;_;

It's pretty ironic, but people laughed at me for playing "childish" games when both them and I were children. When I was 11-15, I think. 16+ is when people actually start being all like "Woah, what are you playing?" instead of judging you.

On point. I never told a soul I played Animal Crossing and Pokemon when I was 11-15, but now that I'm in college, I get loads of Streetpasses and find people visiting each other's towns and battling each other in the Student Union each day. It's nice!

in middle school i always kept it to myself that i played pokemon and other video games and then that started to fade once i got into my sophomore year of high school. i'd sometimes bring my ds to school with me and play it outside during lunch and people'd be like "oh cool is that pokemon?" and i'd be like "HELL YEAH"

i think honestly older people don't care. because no one i know is in a hurry to grow up.

I've pretty much been open about playing animal crossing (or any game like it) for the entirety of me playing it. The only person who gave me lip about it was my brother who said it was boring and pointless. Growing up I didn't know anyone who played it aside from one person who I rarely saw so I mostly made online interaction with others. I know a lot of kids now in high school who either play animal crossing or who have in the past.

I've noticed either they're either embarrassed they did or they really love the series and haven't played new leaf because they don't have a 3DS. A bunch of people I know in university are huge fans of k.k slider, this boy at my school did a cover of a K.K rider song with his band.

People who know I play AC don't care. Half of them play too.

They think I'm a bit nuts for having 3 towns and trying to get 1bil and complete catalog and being an all-around super technical player (I reset for house placement, corner personalities for a 9th move in, etc), though, but that's okay. It just makes me the "expert" that they ask questions.

Just turned 22 recently. None of my friends (except for the ones that play) ever comment on the fact that I'm into New Leaf. But a lot of people in my university seem to play it, I filled up my HHA within a few days at university.

I find only kids judge you for what you're playing. Adults don't care.

I'm in my 30's and am happy telling anyone and everyone I play AC and Pokemon. I even bought AC for my 70-year-old mother back in September and she still plays it everyday.

I'm 19... The first AC game I played was when ACWW came out which made me try all the others as well. Since then I've loved Animal Crossing. A few of my friends play it too and my boyfriend does as well (he is 22)

Some of our friends like to make fun but only really as a joke. My mum however is the one who doesn't seem to like it at all, as it's childish... She likes all those Facebook games (FarmVille, etc) But my mum doesn't like a lot of things I do so... I think people who are into gaming, are more understanding. As they probably all have a game which they play to pass time and relax that they enjoy.

I'm about to be 21. I played WW and CF also, loved both of them. I even got my older sister into CF (she's usually too serious for video games). And now I got my boyfriend and best friend (both are 21) into NL haha.

I don't really talk to too many people about it unless it comes up, which is pretty rare. I play many video games haha, so friends and I talk about video games a lot, but I guess we tend to talk about the ones we play together. My boyfriend and I just hang out and play NL together all the time. He loves it. Just today he was talking about how totally complicated the game is, yet it seems so simple. But with other friends that don't play nintendo systems, we mostly just talk about xbox games. I've mentioned things like "if you get a 3ds, you HAVE to get the new animal crossing game" and stuff to lots of people. No one seems thinks strangely of me haha, but I don't think they've ever played the previous games or know much about AC. They're just like "oh, okay." :p

Back