Today I Learned: New Horizons Edition

The default interior of Judy's house is almost identical to Bob's, except with different colors. I never knew Judy would be into a kids theme!

I learned two new things in the past couple of days!
1. If you drop a piece of candy on the ground, ants show up within minutes! So if you are someone who doesn’t have ants in your museum yet, this is a surefire way of quickly checking that off your list. It’s funny because obviously in real life those ants will come running for sugar, I just hadn’t thought about it in ACNH when I dropped a piece for one of the other residents to pick up, lol!

2. I didn’t understand how to switch between residents. I recently added another resident that I also play so I could get more candy, lol! Oh! And get my art collection completed faster. :) So I kept closing out of game to switch players, and it was a bit of a pain waiting for loading screens, etc. After I experimented a bit, I realized I could use my joycons to quickly switch back and forth between residents. Well that made it a whole lot easier! And it’s kind of fun to jump back and forth between them too. Obviously that has always been possible, I just hadn’t realized how to accomplish it.
Post automatically merged:

Back in NL I remember that you could have lucky and unlucky days and you didn't need to get a fortune to have it happen. You could trip and fall (and if holding a balloon/coffee they would spill/fly away) and every time you sat somewhere you 'farted'
🤣 This reminds me….the other day I was talking to Scoot and he was telling me how important it was to have a strong core. But then he cautioned me to be careful because if I flex too hard I could ”fire off a little glute toot”! I have never heard that phrase before and I about fell off my chair irl! Sooo funny! I see that is a phrase that all jocks probably use, it was just the first time I ever heard it. Even after 100’s of hours I still learn new things and I just love this game!

Last edited:
Apparently sometimes villagers stay up later at night. For example, if normaly they go to sleep at 2 am, they could stay later. I'm not sure of this information though, just read it on a thread!

today I learned that villagers can let you know they've lost an item before you even find it, instead of finding it and having to hunt down the owner of

also, I already knew this, but investigating the lost item can also give you a possible hint as to who owns it, so you aren't just full blind guessing (putting down for anyone that doesn't know)

Apparently sometimes villagers stay up later at night. For example, if normaly they go to sleep at 2 am, they could stay later. I'm not sure of this information though, just read it on a thread!

there will actually always be at least one villager that stays up all night up to the daily reset (5am) and one villager that gets up super early (5am) past/earlier than their normal schedule

I believe it's like this so that no matter what time of day someone is playing, there's always at least a villager for the player to interact with

also, I already knew this, but investigating the lost item can also give you a possible hint as to who owns it, so you aren't just full blind guessing (putting down for anyone that doesn't know)
Also, for those that don't know, this hint will only show up if you've built up a good relationship with the item's owner. Otherwise, it'll just say "Someone lost this..."

To view this hint, just go into your pockets, and select the item as if you are about to hold a tool, for example. Don't wait until the next day to find its owner, as the item's name will instead change to "What was this again?" and become a useless item that can only be thrown away. Not even Nook's will buy it off you.

i remember back in new leaf i used to keep all the book lost items on purpose so i could put them in my house :D

This goes past New Horizons a little bit, but I literally just found out that Genji and Kabuki share the same default misty tee from Wild World to New Leaf, though only Genji kept his misty tee throughout all the games. The two villagers are often paired together due to their real-life inspirations being similar, so I can see why this coincidence is a thing.

Genji NL.png
Kabuki NL.png

I was in a rush this morning to buy turnips, dump them in my house, and then buy more turnips before an outing with my family when a neighbor in-game asked if I was home. I was in the back room and continued dropping turnips to make room in my inventory. After a bit, the neighbor said that she guessed no one was home and left. I hadn't realized that they would just leave if you didn't greet them, but it makes sense.

Edit: I just started playing again, and the same neighbor knocked to ask if I was home. She then decided to leave immediately afterwards.

Last edited:
I was in a rush this morning to buy turnips, dump them in my house, and then buy more turnips before an outing with my family when a neighbor in-game asked if I was home. I was in the back room and continued dropping turnips to make room in my inventory. After a bit, the neighbor said that she guessed no one was home and left. I hadn't realized that they would just leave if you didn't greet them, but it makes sense.

Edit: I just started playing again, and the same neighbor knocked to ask if I was home. She then decided to leave immediately afterwards.
This is pretty much the only way to prevent your villagers from randomly barging into your house, by the way. As long as you’re not in the central room in your house, villagers won’t come inside. And yeah, the same villager will keep trying throughout the day until they’re either successful or it hits their bedtime.

At least it isn’t like New Leaf where they’ll barge in at 2AM randomly. It was much worse in that game.

Today I learned:
  • That there are different variations of the Holiday Candle and the Gift Pile! I actually prefer the blue candle now than the red one!
  • I've got a feeling that I was probably told this in the game but I had forgotten about it, that you can access the Custom Designs Portal from your Nook Phone. Whenever I had been over at Harv's Island and realised I wanted a Custom Design I kept flying back to my island and visit the Able Sisters!

Today, I learned that I can plant flowers in sand when I was trying to plant the flower in a grassy area near the beach. I'm not sure what to do with this knowledge, but I'm surprised that it's possible at all. Come to think of it, I saw strange designs in sand on another island that might have actually been weeds planted in sand.

Today, I learned that I can plant flowers in sand when I was trying to plant the flower in a grassy area near the beach. I'm not sure what to do with this knowledge, but I'm surprised that it's possible at all. Come to think of it, I saw strange designs in sand on another island that might have actually been weeds planted in sand.
Yep, the same can be done with weeds. Keep in mind that flowers won't grow or spread if placed in the sand, nor will they breed hybrids. If you accidentally run over a flower planted in the sand, you'll have to temporarily move it to grass or dirt for the blooming to occur again.

As for weeds, I'm not sure if the same mechanic applies for daily spreading.

In Happy Home Paradise, you can make vacation homes for special characters- like Celeste!- with their amiibo card. Now I've got to get Celeste's amiibo card....

today i learned that you can kick holes away like you can with custom design paths. i… don’t know how i didn’t know that until now. guess i’ve never tried.
It's convenient that way if your shovel breaks.

Funny enough, you can't plant a tree in a hole if you don't have a shovel, but you can plant a tree if there isn't a hold.

Back