• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Thoughts on Ports and HD Remakes?

VanitasFan26

I'm just a ghost.
Bells
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
Okay this is something that has been bothering me for the past few years, but lately every game I see has been either a remake or a port version. Its like do you really want to pay more money for a game you already played in the past? Look I get it they are doing this because they want to attract new audience and to make money, but honestly how much more could there be? Is it starting to become a trend where game companies feel the need to do more ports and HD Remasters because they don't want to make a new IP or Sequel?

It was a really big thing with the Wii U, which I understand. The Wii U was one of their least successful consoles so they want to put those games back on the market when their newest system is doing so well. Most of the games that made Wii U great have now been remade/ported over to the Switch.

It is pretty cool when they do it like they did with Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and Link's Awakening. But like I didn't notice anything groundbreaking with Pikmin 3. The new content for Olimar's missions seemed so uninspired and is not worth the $60. Bower's Fury was a lot of fun though. It's not worth the $60 by itself, but you do get two games in one.

I understand like actual remakes and stuff that make the game either better graphically, open to a bigger audience, or extra content. I really hate when they do a Skyward Sword and really just upscaled it. I think that TRUE remakes are good but for the most part ports should either be truly cheap or actually good. Virtual Console on Wii U is a good example they went at MOST to $20. Most were $7 - $10. Skyward Sword should have been 20. WHEN IS NINTENDO BRINGING NINTENDO SELECTS TO SWITCH LIKE I AM EVEN FINE WITH 30 DOLLARS AT THIS POINT JUST GIVE US THEM FOR CHEAP 😭😭

i don't think ports or remasters are inherently bad. like you mention they give new players opportunities to experience games they mightve missed. I personally think it's beneficial if you've never played the original version of the game, as they typically have great quality-of-life improvements and are generally less clunky than the originals due to general improvements in game development. resident evil 2 is a great example, the remake makes the original obsolete.

I can see them being negative if you're a nintendo-only gamer since they've made ports and nostalgia pandering their standard, and it is true that game companys are making more and more of these, since they have the old games source code to work with which significantly lowers development time (mostly for remasters) and they're safe investments because of name recognition.

even with this I don't think they're bad, there are still plenty of original IPs being churned out and being successful so i wouldn't worry about remakes taking over the industry

I'm ok with remakes/remasters and they don't bother me at all. I'm glad they do them.
Ports are ok but they really should be cheaper IMHO.
The lack of new IPs or the lack of using forgotten loved IPs do bother me. However, Nintendo did show interest in making new series? Source I think they had phrased it. I understood it to perhaps mean new IPs but thinking back they could have meant new ways to play old IPs such as how much pokemon changed for example, or Kirby.
I do think the pandemic may have played a roll in the lack of new IPs if new IPs we're planned for the switch console.

i’ve yet to purchase any ports or game remakes, but i don’t mind them at all. in fact, if any of the games that i’ve played or enjoyed in the past (ex. new leaf, tomodachi life, etc) were ported to the switch, i’d buy them in a heartbeat. that probably seems silly since yes, i’ve already played them in the past, but a game’s quality can actually make-or-break a game for me, and seeing my favourites in the switch’s gorgeous quality would just be... incredible, as well as nostalgic and a great chance for me to replay some of my favourites, since the switch lite is the only gaming console i own.

i completely understand your frustration, though. it’s similar to how i feel about movies — it’s like almost all new ones that have come out the past few years haven’t been new at all, they were just remakes of older movies or recycled ideas. it’s annoying lol.

Ports are okay, as long as very little of it is changed. Video game remakes (in general, not just ones made in High-Def) are a much harder pill to swallow. A lot of the time, remakes disregard what made the original games special. QoL changes aren't enough for me to prefer a newer version of a game. When games are ported, remastered, and remade, details and gameplay nuances tend to get lost in the transition to contemporary systems. I could even say that adding new visuals to the game could hurt the game's aesthetic presentation, making it look worse than it did before. There's far too many example to name, so I'll mention one of the few remakes to actually be a worthy, newer interpretation of a product of its era while respecting it: Metroid: Zero Mission. It's the only remake I know that immensely improved the original game, yet still retaining what made it great in the first place.

Reactions: Bui
I’d never get an exact port. Maybe if the graphics were improved or minor changes were made to the game, I could see myself getting it. It would have to be a game I’d be interested in, though. I would totally get a Heart Gold/Soul Silver/Any Johto remake for the Switch. I’ve lowkey been wanting to play Soul Silver again but I don’t have a 3DS or the game anymore.

I don't mind them—if I played the original and there's nothing in the way of added story content, I'll usually just skip buying it, but there's been a few times when I've been very thankful for ports. Sometimes games can be really difficult to find on the original console, or just really expensive, so ports and remakes can make them a lot more accessible for newer audiences/people who missed out originally. Plus, there's the issue where online/DLC content becomes inaccessible on games for older consoles (like certain DS games, and 3DS games before too long), and re-releases can fix that.

I am fine with ports and remakes, but I feel like at the moment they put out a lot more of these than they release new games. I am always hopeful for new games to come out, but everything they ever announce is ports and remakes, and that gets annoying.
Well if you look at a game like GTA V you'll see what I mean. Its the same game remastered for the 4th time since 2013.

I haven't played a lot of those games and appreciate getting a chance to do so without having to buy old consoles for one or two games. With the Switch specifically it's also a bit of an accessibility thing for me - I can't sit in front of a computer or TV for long enough anymore due to health reasons, so handheld gaming has been a godsend. Even if I already own a game on one of my old consoles, I may rebuy it on Switch for that reason.

I love remakes, but it has to be a Good remake (updated graphics, more story/levels, fixing balance, adding QoL things.....), if the only thing they updated are the graphics I will most likely pass it. And some games really would benefit from one
With ports.... I'm not against it, if it's an pretty old game I find it kinda pointless since you can play them via... other methods (but I get people who want to play on it consoles/legally), but as long as the company releases actual games instead of only ports, I'm ok.

I really like the idea of them. Some of them are actually really good and totally worth playing, but others can sometimes be really bad and might be worth skipping and just playing the original instead.

Ports are great cause you might not have had the console the game originally came out on so it gives you another chance to play it. Also for those who loved the original release so much, they might be inclined to play it again and reexperience a game they loved so much with added bonuses (such as tweaks or added portability). A good example of this would be Mario Kart 8. The Switch version is a port of the Wii U version but it had several fixes and tweaks and some additional characters added. Also being on the Switch means it's super portable while the Wii U version wasn't. I loved the Wii U version but really appreciated the updated port on Switch. I also love how it brought me back into the game after not playing for some time.

Remakes are also nice as they are more of a reimagining of an old game with more modern graphics/mechanics. I know some people don't like their old favourites being changed but they can really be added to in great ways. One of my favourites is Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS. It's a remake of an NES game that never released outside of Japan. Not only did this remake make this story playable for the first time outside of Japan, but it took the original game's ideas and made them way better. NES graphics really pretty ugly nowadays so the update to 3D models and animations is beautiful. Not to mention the characters are much more flushed out in the remake as they are fully voice acted and have little support conversations with each other that the original never had. The music is all redone so it's no longer chiptuney and it really is beautiful some of my favorite songs in the whole series come from this game. There's also various added content like a post game dungeon and spotpass/online features. Overall an amazing remake.

I feel like a lot of people disagreed with me during the Switch's earlier release days when I complained about so many of the titles were Wii U ports. I already had a Wii U with most of those games and didn't want to shell out another $60 since they were charging full price on them. They should have offered a promotion at local stores where if you traded in the physical Wii U copy you could shave off $20 or something like that. Basically what I'm getting at is I'm not a fan of ports if they're full priced like Nintendo does them. It really depends on the company. Some ports and HD remasters are just cash grabs while others are genuinely good. I like ports if the price is right and as long as it's not priority over new games in general being released.

I enjoyed them at first. There were some real gems in the early remakes, and some games that genuinely needed an upgrade. Ports, I usually only bother with when I didn't already have them (such as Super Lucky's Tale for the Switch). Nowadays, however, I'm bored of them. I want fresh, new games, with new characters and new stories.

It feels like there was this huge variety of games in the early gaming days, but now the majority are just the same old games being remade and ported, at least when it comes to the larger companies. I fully expect Nintendo to release a 'Luigi's Mansion Super Spooky Pack Limited Edition' in the near future, with LM2 being mildly reworked for the Switch.

I'm just glad it's easier for indie developers to get their games out there - they're breathing some life into the consoles, and I wish a lot of them had more funding to work with.

I don't mind ports and remakes in general (even though I rarely buy them), and I understand the appeal of having all of your old favorites on one current system. But there is one aspect that I hate: When companies use ports as a replacement for a new game. Porting Mario Kart 8 to Switch would be fine if it didn't prevent us from getting Mario Kart 9, for example. Mario Kart is one of Nintendo's most popular series, and Switch is Nintendo's best-selling home console. If not for the MK8 port, you know Switch would have received its own MK game by this point (aside from the silly spinoff where you drive around your living room).

I hope we eventually get to the point where companies view ports as a bonus, and not as a substitute for new games.

I really like that they have ports and remakes. I won’t buy some of them if I can still play them on another system. My PS2 no longer works so I’m so happy I can still play all the the kingdom hearts games on my PS4. I also never played skyward sword so now I can play that on my switch.

Back