Thoughts on Brexit (Britain leaving the EU)?

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it really any of your/ anybody outside of the UK's business? Just asking...(don't hurt me)

Stock markets worldwide took a plunge after the vote, so it affected tons of people outside the U.K.

Last edited:
Well, the pound's value dropped after the results were in...
View attachment 176010
(outdated graph, I know)

All of Scotland voted to remain in the European Union though, so it looks like we may have another Scottish independence vote so that Scotland can stay in. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

The EU is a dictatorship with all the power in the hands of unelected bureaucrats in Brussels. Member states have no sovereignty. Why wouldn't you leave?

Is it really any of your/ anybody outside of the UK's business? Just asking...(don't hurt me)
Apart from the economic repercussions already mentioned, some people are also dependent on the UK even if they don't live there. My mother, for example, is unsure if the company she works at will keep functioning as it does, if her office will be sold to another company, or if they'll just be laid off, because the company HQ is in England. Many more companies are dependent on the UK, and there's a very real chance that a lot of them will go bankrupt because of Brexit. Less people will go to work in the UK, so jobs in other European countries will fill up which will lead to an increase in unemployment.
People that are still UK citizens but live somewhere else to study, or because they're on their pension, will be affected by this (though students is less likely, with how many years a Brexit will likely take). There's about 600k pensioners living abroad that get free healthcare because of the UK's deals with the EU. They will either have to start paying their medical bills themselves or return to the UK to still get free healthcare. The reverse here is also true - people that aren't citizens of the UK but are living there now might have to return to their own countries.
There's also the small but real chance that Brexit is just the first step to the fall of the EU.
Brexit is not only a domestic issue. A lot more countries are affected by it than you might think.

I've been talking to an English friend the past two days who recently got his Master's in Politics. He's thinking of moving to another English-speaking country for a job instead of staying in England. His parents also work in jobs funded by the EU, with his mother in cancer research and his father working for a pharmaceutical company. Basically his entire family voted for remain, so they are now thinking of what their future should look like.

He also refuses to use any of the same excuses showcased in this thread, which are also used by many others across the internet and by politicians in publications (the sentiment that the racists/elderly/bigoted ****ed us). He cited a lot of mistakes made by the elite, like how Cameron's campaign was basic fearmongering (as was the opposition), but also how he decided to keep the economical benefits of the EU but marginalized the rights of the poor on the side. That in turn led to the poor comparing themselves to how migrants were treated (which, in many cases, did lead to racism). He also linked me this article (long read) which manages to break down the situation and thinking of legitimate Leave voters very well.

I understand the frustration, and I'll admit that I also think a lot of people cast idiotic votes in this referendum without realizing the consequences, but to simplify legitimate votes as being mere mindless bigotry is bigotry in itself.
If anything positive can be taken from the Brexit, it's that some members of the EU want to have serious debate about EU reform, where there is more democracy and less influence from Brussels. The EU is a wonderful thing, but it also has major flaws that need to be addressed.

Last edited:
I looked up what the EU us and I'm still confused, so I guess I don't have an opinion

People asking for a second vote, is absolutely ridiculous. We voted leave, it wasn't a practice vote, just because it didn't go your way, doesn't mean you get another vote. Life doesn't work like that, deal with it.

because somewhere around 38% of people (counting those that didn't vote as well) should be allowed to decide the future for 100%, especially for something as serious as this

right

I say there should be a do over or at least some sort of negotiations because of how close the voting was for those that voted

Last edited:
because somewhere around 38% of people (counting those that didn't vote as well) should be allowed to decide the future for 100%, especially for something as serious as this

right

I say there should be a do over or at least some sort of negotiations because of how close the voting was for those that voted

That's how democracy works, though. Out of the people who voted, a majority, even though just by a fraction, wanted to leave. And our government have to respect the people's decision. I voted remain and I'm disappointed, but it's done now and I think it's stupid to try again just because we didn't get the results we wanted.

That's how democracy works, though.

Which is why this is also a pretty good argument against democracy. People's basic rights and future should never be put to a majority vote.

Plus given how many leave voters being literal ****ing idiots there were,(ironic/joke voters, voters who voted without even knowing what they were voting on, voters who voted as some sort of "protest" against it, etc) just makes the situation that much more disgusting.

Last edited:
So you don't want civilians to have any input into what happens to their country?

There's other ways to give input, but as far as voting goes, yes. Civilians should never be given direct control of their country's economical or social future. Even discounting the idiot voters, I highly doubt a good chunk of other voters even realized the magnitude of what they were voting for.

Add to the pre-voting process being a literal manipulation of the masses like basically every other voting process, and its disgusting from top to bottom.

There's other ways to give input, but as far as voting goes, yes. Civilians should never be given direct control of their country's economical or social future. Even discounting the idiot voters, I highly doubt a good chunk of other voters even realized the magnitude of what they were voting for.

Add to the pre-voting process being a literal manipulation of the masses like basically every other voting process, and its disgusting from top to bottom.

I get what you're saying, but I just think it's a dangerous territory assuming that the general public are too stupid to make any decisions about their country. Then you could start saying that we're too stupid to vote who goes into power, etc, and then what could happen? We could become like one of those corrupt countries with a government that does whatever the **** it wants no matter what the people say, and terrible people could come into power and stay in power because 'civilians shouldn't be in control'. I agree the pre-voting process was bad though, and there was scare-mongering on both sides. But I think it was right to give us the vote.

Nooo I'm so annoyed we're leaving.....worried they'll be another recession or something

Last edited:
I just think it's a dangerous territory assuming that the general public are too stupid to make any decisions about their country.

I never said that. In fact I even clearly stated as such with my saying "even discounting the idiot voters". Being ill-informed and stupid are two different things. There is certainly an overlap, but they aren't one and the same.

Though I would say plenty of old people are too stuck in the past to make good decisions, but that's another matter entirely. Not to mention one we'll probably just have to suffer with until they all die out.

Then in the future we can be the old people to make bad decisions for the new younger generations, and the cycle can repeat itself.

Then you could start saying that we're too stupid to vote who goes into power, etc

Hey, get back here. Who told you that it was ok to run off with these baseless assumptions?

I clearly said direct giving control to social or economical matters should not be a thing. Voting who goes into power doesn't do that for either of these things. It influences, sure, but doesn't give actual control.

Last edited:

I agree. Apart from a lot of people admitting they voted leave and regret it because they didn't think 'leave' would actually win, there is also the fact that 51.9% is such a minuscule majority. I don't think 75% voter turnout was really high enough to say "yes this is what the public really wants" based on it barely scraping over 50%. It's such a huge decision to make when it just shows that of us those who bothered to vote we're almost evenly divided on the issue.

This is even tighter than the Scottish independence referendum result (45% leave UK; 55% stay in UK based on 85% voter turnout) and even then people wanted to call a second Scottish referendum.

The people that annoy me most are those complaining who didn't even vote. Gah. Those people have no right to complain (unless they're underage or otherwise ineligible to vote). That right comes along with the responsibility of actually having voted!

Back