Thoughts on Brexit (Britain leaving the EU)?

Should Britain leave the EU?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apparently at 10 o'clock on the 23rd the 2nd highest search in the UK was 'what is the EU?'

wtf

There really needs to be more education and media coverage (not just on the news) before a momentous decision like this, lots of people didn't know what they were voting on, and still don't.

There really needs to be more education and media coverage (not just on the news) before a momentous decision like this, lots of people didn't know what they were voting on, and still don't.

Plus, the media coverage that there was. Was all for leave pretty much. Papers like the Daily Mail, Sun, pretty much any newspaper except The Mirror. We need more neutral news sources out there.

That's still insulting. It's like saying that the leave campaign was load of rubbish.

The leave campaign was a load of rubbish.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Plus, the media coverage that there was. Was all for leave pretty much. Papers like the Daily Mail, Sun, pretty much any newspaper except The Mirror. We need more neutral news sources out there.

sadly, neutrality doesn't give ratings/sales. which is all the media cares about

and I'd argue stuff like this is a pretty good argument against the media being allowed to do whatever it wants with little to no personal consequences

- - - Post Merge - - -

I personally don't think that leaving the EU will have a great negative affect British lgbt+ people, but I get where the worry comes from.

from all I've been able to gather, the voting basically also put the far right in command, so uh

well, I just hope you're right

Last edited:
That's still insulting. It's like saying that the leave campaign was load of rubbish.

It was.

I thought you were tired of all this?

from all I've been able to gather, the voting basically also put the far right in command, so uh

well, I just hope you're right

There's been a disturbing trend in the rise of far right parties gaining power across the globe.

Which is annoying because time after time, conservative far right policies have been proven to not work.

People asking for a second vote, is absolutely ridiculous. We voted leave, it wasn't a practice vote, just because it didn't go your way, doesn't mean you get another vote. Life doesn't work like that, deal with it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I am literally about to scream. People were not cheated out of their vote for leave. I'm just getting so fustrated, a second vote? Come on, that is pathetic.

Last edited:
People asking for a second vote, is absolutely ridiculous. We voted leave, it wasn't a practice vote, just because it didn't go your way, doesn't mean you get another vote. Life doesn't work like that, deal with it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I am literally about to scream. People were not cheated out of their vote for leave. I'm just getting so fustrated, a second vote? Come on, that is pathetic.

it reminds me of this moment from Trading Places:

The amount of people that voted leave and now regret their decision is more than the amount of people that would have been needed to push the vote to stay. (not sure if that is reputable though, or just more lies.) They're calling it "Bregret"

I did vote stay, but I'm honesty not sure about a second reference, but this petition calling for one already has 2.5 million signatures, and it's going up by the minute.

Both sides are guilty of lying and scare-mongering. Remember that NHS promise from the leave campaign?

Last edited:
I can understand why people voted to leave and now regret it. An election can be framed as either a choice or a referendum. A choice is when you are given multiple options and are asked to choose what you think is the best option. A referendum is a yes/no answer to the question "Do you approve of the status quo?" A lot of people who voted "leave" likely viewed it as a referendum, and some probably weren't actually voting against the EU but instead they were voting against David Cameron and other establishment politicians. Giving the wealthy and powerful a big middle finger feels good even if you have no idea what is behind Door #2.

The same thing is happening in the U.S. If you ask someone whether Clinton or Trump would be a better president, most people will say Clinton. If you ask someone if they are happy with the U.S. government currently, they will probably say no, and if that is the most important thing on their mind when voting, then they will vote for the biggest wild card even if that's the riskiest option because they are thinking that things can't get much worse.

There are no do-overs though otherwise elections would be pointless as the losing side would always call for another one endlessly.

Last edited:
this ballot seems pretty clear:

ClF3glTWMAAm8d_.jpg

maybe they should have added:

"We're serious about this! This ain't a poll! We're gonna do what the majority decides!"

this ballot seems pretty clear:

ClF3glTWMAAm8d_.jpg

maybe they should have added:

"We're serious about this! This ain't a poll! We're gonna do what the majority decides!"

It is common sense to be honest, people should of been aware and voted what they felt strongly about, or not voted at all.
Now we are out of lying EU members, and into lying MP members. I'm just annoyed at the stupidity of some people in the UK.

I was being tongue in cheek. I do think "referendum," and "should" could have made some people think this was merely advisory or an opinion ballot. (i mean, i guess they would have had to have been ignorant to the newspapers and t.v. discussion, but still).

it could have said:

This Vote will determine whether or not the United Kingdom stays in the European Union as a member nation. Vote for one option:

1. The nation shall remain in the EU and continue to be a member nation of the EU.
2. The nation shall leave the EU and no longer be a member nation of the EU.

i dont get the people saying demanding a second vote is pathetic or "the death of democracy." should the majority demand a revote, it is merely democracy at work here. now that people have seen the legitimate effects of the brexit as opposed to what flashy campaigns (and campaign "mistakes") would tell them, i feel a second vote would bring out much more confident voters than before. to call people pathetic for attempting to demand a revote is to call them pathetic for attempting to take advantage of their democratic right. "life doesnt work like that" isnt a proper comparison here, because DEMOCRACY works like that, should the MAJORITY demand a revote, then the majority should get a revote. stop being so petty, trying to bully people out of attempting a revote. if the people genuinely wanted brexit, it would win again after a revote, wouldnt it? stubbornly telling people to stick to their first choice is just immature when it comes to something as serious as this. if the majority wants a revote, let them have a revote. if they dont want a revote, then they wont get one. stop trying to make it seem like demanding a revote is a bad thing.

i dont get the people saying demanding a second vote is pathetic or "the death of democracy." should the majority demand a revote, it is merely democracy at work here. now that people have seen the legitimate effects of the brexit as opposed to what flashy campaigns (and campaign "mistakes") would tell them, i feel a second vote would bring out much more confident voters than before. to call people pathetic for attempting to demand a revote is to call them pathetic for attempting to take advantage of their democratic right. "life doesnt work like that" isnt a proper comparison here, because DEMOCRACY works like that, should the MAJORITY demand a revote, then the majority should get a revote. stop being so petty, trying to bully people out of attempting a revote. if the people genuinely wanted brexit, it would win again after a revote, wouldnt it? stubbornly telling people to stick to their first choice is just immature when it comes to something as serious as this. if the majority wants a revote, let them have a revote. if they dont want a revote, then they wont get one. stop trying to make it seem like demanding a revote is a bad thing.

But how do you determine if a majority wants a revote? Do you have a vote on whether people want a revote on the referendum? I can understand voting again on this issue sometime in the future, but there needs to be time between votes otherwise you'd just be voting on it every day. If you answer a question wrong on a test, you don't get a do-over (I know some teachers are really generous and give you a re-try, but most don't). I think the U.K. has to complete the exit process which will take 2-3 years before they can try to rejoin if that's even allowed by the EU.

Last edited:
I thought the big deal now, though, was whether or not Scotland was going to have another independence referendum. But, if a revote is done on the EU matter, will Scotland still have a revote on its independence or not?

Back