things you believed were real as a kid?

HungryForCereal

if it was you I'd never want to leave...
Bells
Pink Summer Shell
Mint
Pavé
90% of the brain is developed by the age of 5 (or so says a popular ad). But is it developed enough to understand the happenings of the world around it? Of course not.

A child has his/her own perspective of seeing things, which are not always true.

So what were the things you believed were true, as a kid, only to realize they weren't, when you grew older?

For me, there was this chinese myth or whatever that says if you point to the moon, the monster on the moon will come down when you're asleep and cut your ears way. because of this, id always sleep with my fist clenched.

Fairies. I found some online generator that was supposed to generate the name of your "personal fairy". I thought it was real so I would make little houses for it out of boxes and use my dollhouse furniture and leave little notes. My mom would type up replies and make the font like size 8 and leave it in the little house and sprinkle glitter (like fairy dust I guess?). At the time I would get so excited thinking my fairy was actually responding, haha. Looking back on it now, I really appreciate my mom doing all of that almost every night. I'm sure it got old after a while.

Satan Claws... was really bummed when I figured out he was fake... :(

evil-santa-by-kruger.jpg

I thought fairies lived under mushrooms so whenever my brother smashed the mushrooms in our backyard with a stick I'd get really sad

i thought when you become an adult your name changes automatically lmao

That if you walk around barefoot your feet will get bigger. My grandma always said this when I was little.

That adults existed.

And...Oh I thought I could get my own chick if I kept an egg in my drawer long enough. Apart that, not much, the fantasy didn't mix with reality... or mixed too well I don't know. I believed in the end of the world.

All the typical things like Santa, the tooth fairy, and the Easter bunny.
I may or may not have believed in leprechauns I don't remember, also fairies and mermaids aaaaand that if you'd make certain silly faces too many times your face would stay like that forever

I always believed that adults never had friends. My mom has issues so she doesnt have many friends so I thought that once you grew up and started a family, friends didnt exist.

I also believed that if you swallowed gum, it would stick in your stomach for seven years.

I also believed that if you slept with one leg hanging over the bed, a creature could pull you down and under the bed.

I would always have to cover my ears when I slept because I thought dead people were going to dig into my brain and kill me.

I believed that whenever I were to finish all of my food, quarters would dispense from behind my ears. My dad would pull a quarter from behind my ear when I finished my food.

Another funny one was, well, you know the hazard lights button in the car? Well, we had a sun roof in our car and when I would complain, my dad would turn the button on and say that when it hits 10 seconds, my seat would eject me and I would be stuck on the moon.

I believed that people were standing behind the bend of the wall in my room to wait for me to fall asleep so they could kill me. (I remember hearing them breathing)

My dad told me that he had this gum stuff that he would put under his shoes that allowed him to bounce over houses. He promised I could have it when I get older. Never got it :/

I was absolutely sure that I was going to die from West Niles Virus when I first heard of it.

But hey, I believed every bit of it when I was young.

Last edited:
Banks were places you went to get free money;

Me; can I have that?
Parent; I don't have any money, sweetie
Me; that's okay! Let's go to the bank!!

I watched a documentary on CBBC about a faceblind girl; she got I'll while on holiday, and ended up not being able to recognise faces.
I was terrified that if I ever got very ill, it'd affect my brain and I'd go faceblind too xD

I remember times at night when I used to panic, and try to picture my mother's face in my head.

God I was convinced of so many stupid things... That pinecones could talk - (My friend and I would gather pinecones and have pinecone parties with a strobe light, and we would pick berries and leaves to feed them.) I was convinced my friend was psychic. I was convinced that these trees I loved to climb on were able to talk to one another and that they were dying and needed to be healed by green goop. That my neighborhood had an exact identical copy of it underground and that people who were afraid of the dangers of the world would live there and a giant gaping hole would appear in random places at random times so cars could drive in and out of it to get groceries. I was convinced that if you see a perfect white circle drawn on the ground that means the devil is sleeping under there, I was convinced that a door knob we found on the ground was from an old burnt down house and that the little girl living there was trying to contact us... I was a really gullible kid... And I had a friend with a huge imagination. I feel really stupid for believing all these things were real, but it made things fun. I would always be going on weird adventures. I kind of miss it.

I definitely believed that my toys would come alive when I wasn't looking (like in Toy story)

i thought that other ppl thought the same way as i did so i got really frustrated whenever other people didn't understand what i meant. turns out everyone's different...

i never really believed in santa or stuff like that as a kid, i was a true Doubter. I didn't even believe in dinosaurs until we learnt about them in second grade in school. I thought that they weren't real because we had toys of them at day care and they were kind of like action figures, so I thought they were as real as transformers and ninja turtles. besides dinosaurs are weird af, i mean gigantic lizards??? why would i believe they were more real than ninja turtles....,,.,
And even when adults would talk about them as if they really existed I didn't believe them because adults always talk to kids like santa exists when he does not, so 5 yr old me thought everyone was lying about dinosaurs being real.

but i did kind of believe that my plush animal could understand me, I used to have conversations with it in my head and stuff. also i thought many of my toys had feelings, like even when i knew that they were objects i still could feel bad about leaving them on the floor because that would make them sad

I don't remember really believing in Santa and the tooth fairy etc...but I did think people would come and brick up my doors and windows in the night so I couldn't get out of my room. I still don't know why I thought that haha

Back