• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon The Pokémon Challenge Thread

Midoriya

Go beyond! Plus ultra!
Bells
Switch
1119-7626-0996
Island
Sumeru
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
This is for people who want to post their Nuzlocke challenges, other challenges, and teams here. Please provide the name of the Pokemon game, your team, and feel free to update your team and status as time goes on. If you end up blacking out, you can just add BLACKOUT to the end of your post.

Challenge Hall of Fame:

chet_manley
: Pokemon Crystal Nuzlocke: Ice Cream the Clefairy, Hamburger the Taurus, and LobstaRoll the Poliwrath.

Bread Kennedys: Pokemon Black 2 Randomized Nuzlocke: Lucas the Empoleon, Luna the Cresselia, Pedoloon the Drifblim, and Ken the Blaziken.

Midoriya: Pokemon Omega Ruby Nuzlocke: Asta the Linoone and Mimosa the Bellossom.

Midoriya: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Wonderlocke: Deku the [Mega] Sceptile, [Mega] Gyarados, Garchomp, Skarmory, Sawsbuck, and Florges.

Midoriya: Pokemon Shield Nuzlocke: Rook the Rillaboom, Queen the Quagsire, Sprinkles the Aromatisse, and Ignatia the Heatmor.

Midoriya: Pokemon Crystal Nuzlocke: Rikka the Meganium, Gaara the Sandslash, Tatsumaki the Noctowl, Mob the Hypno, Hibana the Arcanine, and Kaminari the Lanturn.

Midoriya: Pokemon Ultra Sun Wonderlocke: Metagross, Volcarona, Machamp, and Cloyster.

Midoriya: Pokemon Shining Pearl Wonderlocke: Milotic and Garchomp.

Midoriya: Pokemon X Nuzlocke: Tatsuya the Sylveon, Mob the Gallade, and Hawks the Pidgeot.

Midoriya: Pokemon White Nuzlocke: Midoriya the Emboar, Skar the Stoutland, TOFWALVM the Musharna, Micheal the Krookodile, and Death the Zekrom.

Midoriya: Pokemon Platinum Nuzlocke: Tanjiro the Empoleon, Tokoyami the Gliscor, Asta the Umbreon, Midoriya the Gallade, Esdeath the shiny Abomasnow, and Fubuki the Froslass.

Midoriya: Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke: Makomo the Lapras, Zenitsu the Alakazam, Nezuko the Typhlosion, Kanao the Nidoqueen, and Tengen the Leafeon.

Midoriya: Pokemon White 2 Nuzlocke: Deku the Serperior, Selkie the Lapras, Bakugo the Darmanitan, Amajiki the Absol, Intelli the Reuniclus, and Jiro the Aggron.

HistoryH22: Pokemon Omega Ruby Nuzlocke: Pinkerton the Beautifly, Mint the Minun, Skipper the Swampert, Toadstool the Breloom, Psypig the Grumpig, and Vulcana the Ninetales.

HistoryH22: Pokemon Omega Ruby Nuzlocke: Zigs the Linoone, Excelsior the Mightyena, and Baron the Ninjask.

DarthGohan1: Pokemon FireRed Nuzlocke: Firetail the Charizard, Nightmist the Lapras, and Punchbowl the Hitmonchan.

BakaRina: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond Nuzlocke: Psy the Alakazam, Fio the Roserade, and Zeller the Floatzel.

Flicky: Pokemon Black 2 Nuzlocke: Caesar the Samurott, Insomnia the Munna, Armando the Leavanny, Kojiro the Koffing, Burnia the Chandelure, and Miyagi the Mienshao.

LoyalDragonfly: Pokemon LeafGreen Nuzlocke: Numget the Fearow, Hotbiscuit the Pidgeot, Treat the Gengar, Miraura the Seaking, Adam the Jolteon, and Champricot the Bulbasaur.​

Last edited:
Reviving this thread. I blacked out on that Platinum run awhile ago, but just yesterday started a Pokemon White 2 Nuzlocke Challenge and purchased the B2W2 theme from the theme shop on one of my systems, and it’s already off to a great start.

I have one gym badge and three Pokemon already. A level 14 Oshawott nicknamed Jet Black, a level 11 Purrloin nicknamed Harley, and a level 11 Mareep nicknamed Static. I’m trying to beat my last run which is when I made it all the way past the 8th gym and to Ghetsis, but ended up losing to him. I’m going to keep redesigning my team up until I face him in order to make sure I can just outright sweep his team with type advantages and switching. And then I’ll do my best to get my first win for a Nuzlocke Challenge in a countless number of tries on multiple games.

Last edited:
I ran a Crystal nuzlocke recently. I was sloppy in my gameplay and was in no way risk-averse. I did not look up the gyms in advance of entering and ended up with some savage matchups.

I surprisingly made it through Whitney and her Miltank without any problems. My real issue came up when I made it to Morty’s (ghost) gym without enough Awakenings. Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar were tough but I made it through, until his last Haunter put *my entire team* to sleep. I watched my starter, a Bayleef named Falafel, die with its dreams eaten. Next to fall was Meatball, a Geodude (my naming theme was ‘Types of Sandwiches’). Pidgeotto, names Turkey Sub, dead. One-by-one, my team fell until I was down to my last party Pok?mon, Ice Cream.

But there was hope! Ice Cream was a Clefairy, which is not affected by Haunter’s only attack. Now I had to hope I had enough PP to defeat Morty’s Haunter. Long story short, I did not. I ran out of attacks. Then ran out of status boosts. I finally defeated Haunter, with 2 HP left, after several ‘Struggle’ attacks.

Thankfully, I was able to regroup post-gym and roll through the Elite Four. My final team featured Ice Cream, a Tauros named Hamburger, a shiny Poliwrath named LobstaRoll. Those three did the heavy lifting the rest of the game.

I ran a Crystal nuzlocke recently. I was sloppy in my gameplay and was in no way risk-averse. I did not look up the gyms in advance of entering and ended up with some savage matchups.

I surprisingly made it through Whitney and her Miltank without any problems. My real issue came up when I made it to Morty’s (ghost) gym without enough Awakenings. Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar were tough but I made it through, until his last Haunter put *my entire team* to sleep. I watched my starter, a Bayleef named Falafel, die with its dreams eaten. Next to fall was Meatball, a Geodude (my naming theme was ‘Types of Sandwiches’). Pidgeotto, names Turkey Sub, dead. One-by-one, my team fell until I was down to my last party Pok?mon, Ice Cream.

But there was hope! Ice Cream was a Clefairy, which is not affected by Haunter’s only attack. Now I had to hope I had enough PP to defeat Morty’s Haunter. Long story short, I did not. I ran out of attacks. Then ran out of status boosts. I finally defeated Haunter, with 2 HP left, after several ‘Struggle’ attacks.

Thankfully, I was able to regroup post-gym and roll through the Elite Four. My final team featured Ice Cream, a Tauros named Hamburger, a shiny Poliwrath named LobstaRoll. Those three did the heavy lifting the rest of the game.

That’s a great story of a Nuzlocke Challenge! Well done (and the names also made me hungry, lol)!

EDIT: Well, the White 2 Nuzlocke did not end well, so I’m going to try a HG/SS Nuzlocke again next, but not until I’ve played some more difficult games and finally beat them this summer.

Last edited:
Picked up a copy of Omega Ruby today. Time to start a Nuzlocke run.

I'll report here. The theme? Cocktails.

Picked up a copy of Omega Ruby today. Time to start a Nuzlocke run.

I'll report here. The theme? Cocktails.

Lol, sounds interesting. Keep me posted on it! I always like OR/AS Nuzlocke Challenges. They are just fun for me, idk why.

So this is my first ever play through of this game. So everything is new and I am trying to not ruin the secrets by looking up gyms, etc., or where to find Pokemon to maximize repels. I am playing a challenge without duplicates (even if the original "dies") and, if it comes to it, I will give myself a free pass on a non-battling HM user that covers 4.

So with that, here we go. I used a number generator to pick my starter...and the first addition to the team is...

Mudkip! I named him Caipirinha, which is a Cacha?a-based cocktail. I don't feel the "bro" connection with him yet, but we'll see what happens.

I went through all the introductory stuff and got some Poke Balls...learned about the Pokemon you can sneak up on, and had a good feeling about my first matchup. It was a Poochyena that knew Fire Fang! I've never used this Pokemon before and so I was feeling the early "bro" seeds being planted when I made the catch. Named him Salty Dog, which is a Greyhound cocktail with a salted rim. Salty Dog immediately became my main Pokemon throughout my travels.

Picked up a Seedot on Route 102 (named Bramble, a gin-based cocktail featuring cr?me de m?re). In Petalburg Woods, grabbed a Shroomish, named Kalimotxo.

When I left Petalburg Woods, I was getting cocky in my training. I leveled all of my Pokemon up to 12 in advance of the first gym, but something awful happened! I was not paying attention and Salty Dog got hit with a critical attack that took out 11 damage, killing him. I don't know that I have ever lost a Pokemon in a Nuzlocke this quickly, so I am feeling pretty down about that. So much for that bro.

The first gym went off without a hitch. Caipirinha did most of the work, and the Seedot, Bramble, evolved and got Razor Leaf. Looking forward to the rest of the adventure!

New Pokemon
Mudkip Caipirinha
Poochyena (Route 101) Salty Dog
Seedot (Route 102) Bramble
Shroomish (Petalburg Woods) Kalimotxo

Dead Pokemon
Poochyena Salty Dog

Evolved Pokemon
Seedot Bramble

Last edited:
I've been doing a Nuzlocke on a randomized and edited rom of Pokemon Black 2 for awhile now and I'm at probably the farthest I've gotten in this game while Nuzlocking. I currently have 5 Gym Badges, and two of my team members got rekt last time I played, but despite that I need to grind and get all my Pokemon to at least Level 35 because I'm about to be taking on the Mistralton Gym.

Team:
1-Up the Male Foongus, Level 30
Randy the Male Shelgon, Level 30
Luna the Female Cresselia, Level 33
Del the Magnezone, Level 34
Maria the Female Clefable, Level 36
Ness the Male Lapras, Level 39

Dead Pokemon Up To This Point (Listing them all now so I can talk about future dead Mons later and not waste your time) :
Pierre the Male Croagunk, Male 22 (Died fighting Burgh)
Morticia the Female Haunter, Level 19 (Also died fighting Burgh)
Floyd the Male Slowbro, Level 20 and my Starter (Died fighting against Colress)
Booty Meat the Female Watchog, Level 21 (Also died fighting Colress)
Julio G. the Male Ludicolo, Level 21 (Also died fighting Colress)
Male Zoroark (couldn't nickname him unfortunately), Level 32 (Died against a random Trainer in Celestial Tower)
Roy the Male Rapidash, Level 32 (Died against a random wild encounter in Celestial Tower)

As you can tell, I kinda got whooped by Colress, but I was somehow able to recover. Let's hope that nothing crazy happens here as well. Send me your energy folks because I've seen least 3 or 4 random Rayquazas being used by random Trainers and 2 or 3 Mewtwos and quite honestly I'm scared.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your Nuzlocke Challenges, guys! Loving the nicknames so far. I’m still working on other games, but plan on starting that HG/SS Nuzlocke Challenge soon.

well, im just starting a challenge. although its not a nuzlocke, it has a bit of and added difficulty. its a double duo challenge of pearl and soulsilver, with budew and cyndaquil as starters, and Starly and a pokemon that i dont know who might be as the partners. Any ideas?

Omega Ruby Nuzlocke, Part Two. Picked up a Taillow (Sazarac) on Route 116. Guess who did the brunt of the work against the Fighting-style gym? Peck and Wing Attack did 90% of the work.

Picked up a Makuhita in Granite Cave. I've caught a few of these guys in Pokemon Ultra Moon, but I have never used one. So he'll roll with the squad of five for a while. Off to the third gym!

New Pokemon
Taillow (Route 116) Sazarac
Makuhita (Granite Cave) Sake Bomb

Dead Pokemon
N/A

Evolved Pokemon
N/A

well, im just starting a challenge. although its not a nuzlocke, it has a bit of and added difficulty. its a double duo challenge of pearl and soulsilver, with budew and cyndaquil as starters, and Starly and a pokemon that i dont know who might be as the partners. Any ideas?

That sounds very interesting (and also time-consuming, lol). What are the options for another starter?

@chet_manley: Thanks for updating us on it! I?m sure you know this, but keep going for every gym badge, and then the Pokemon League. Taillow/Swellow is a great partner to have throughout the game. :D

Continued on with my Pokemon Black 2 Randomized Nuzlocke. Did some grinding and defeated Skyla, got the 6th Gym Badge and left for the other side of Unova. Currently at Route 14 now where I may do some small amount of grinding before taking on my rival in Undella Town.

Team:
Randy the Male Shelgon, Level 37
Luna the Female Cresselia, Level 37
Del the Magnezone, Level 37
Maria the Female Clefable, Level 38
Ness the Male Lapras, Level 40

Dead Pokemon Since Last Update:
1-Up the Male Foongus, Level 34 (Died to a trainer on Route 7)

Continued on with my Pokemon Black 2 Randomized Nuzlocke. Did some grinding and defeated Skyla, got the 6th Gym Badge and left for the other side of Unova. Currently at Route 14 now where I may do some small amount of grinding before taking on my rival in Undella Town.

Team:
Randy the Male Shelgon, Level 37
Luna the Female Cresselia, Level 37
Del the Magnezone, Level 37
Maria the Female Clefable, Level 38
Ness the Male Lapras, Level 40

1-Up the Male Foongus, Level 34 (Died to a trainer on Route 7)

Sounds like a great team! Just missing that sixth spot party member. :D

My friend wants me to get Black/White and do a Nuzlocke challenge but tbh I'm just now getting the whole "competitive moveset/stats" thing so I would prob be really bad at it lol

Sounds like a great team! Just missing that sixth spot party member. :D

Yeah. I have Pokemon in the PC but I don't really have anything I can make much use of at the moment that isn't similar to something I already have on the team. I have an Ambipom, Gothorita and a Tynamo in the PC which I will definitely make use of if either my Clefable, Cresselia or Magnezone dies, but at the moment I have no real reason to use them. I'm really hoping I can get something good soon to fill that final spot.

My friend wants me to get Black/White and do a Nuzlocke challenge but tbh I'm just now getting the whole "competitive moveset/stats" thing so I would prob be really bad at it lol

If you feel like you have learned enough about type matchups and being stronger than the opponent, I would definitely at least try it. The two major rules are that you must catch the first Pokemon in each area, and once it faints you must release it. It’s good to do a lot of grinding in these Nuzlocke Challenges, and you have to remember to be careful at ALL times. Like, for example, if I think one of my Pokemon may faint, I either heal it with a potion or switch out. Sometimes a good strategy too is if the opponent’s attack is not strong enough to do half damage, healing, and then taking them out with an attack while surviving in the orange/yellow/red. You’ll get better at this sort of challenge the more you try it. I’ve been trying them for years and still never beat one (beating the Champion), but I’m sure if I’m diligent enough it will happen some day.

@NoUsernameHere: That makes sense. It’s great to have Pokemon in reserve in case one of your party members goes down. Keep going! :D

Continued on with my Pokemon Black 2 Randomized Nuzlocke. Took on my rival in Undella Town and continued on to Lacunosa Town. Did some story related stuff there and took on Zinzolin. Magnezone died here, but Shelgon also evolved into a Salamence. Accidentally killed quite a few of my Encounters beforehand as well. Found a Dusclops that I wanted but accidentally killed it with a critical hit. Likewise, I interacted with the "Cobalion" on Route 13 and encountered a Cloyster. Killed it in one hit not meaning to. Overall, this was my unlucky day. But if nothing else, I'm rebuilding. Before leaving northeastern Unova to do some grinding back in Chargestone Cave, I encountered a Piplup and a Litwick, both of which I caught. Added Litwick and Tynamo to the party, and I'll allow Piplup to join the party if my Lapras dies. I still have to finish up grinding though, but...

Team:
Erina the Female Litwick, Level 34
Tyler the Male Tynamo, Level 37
Maria the Female Clefairy, Level 39
Luna the Female Cresselia, Level 39
Randy the Male Salamence, Level 40
Ness the Male Lapras, Level 41

Del the Magnezone, Level 38 (Died in the battle with Zinzolin)

That sounds very interesting (and also time-consuming, lol). What are the options for another starter?

@chet_manley: Thanks for updating us on it! I’m sure you know this, but keep going for every gym badge, and then the Pokemon League. Taillow/Swellow is a great partner to have throughout the game. :D

It kind of is, though. So I got Ghastly and Budew as my partners, but I can still change it, since i can go and catch any pokemon available in Soul Silver and Pearl

Thanks for updating me guys. I started my Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke Challenge yesterday, and I already have two gym badges (and am close to Goldenrod City). This is what my team looks like right now:

Pyrrha the Female Quilava, level 20
Lie Ren the Male Weepinbell, level 21
Nora the Ditto, level 10

I fought against my rival for the second time, where I sent out Lie Ren against his Croconaw. Bullet Seed only ended up doing more than half damage, and I was scared because I thought he was going to use Ice Fang, but he used Bite instead, and I took out the rest of his party. I just recently acquired Nora the Ditto on the route before Goldenrod City. I kept trying to headbutt with Pyrrha for an encounter, but that was not working, and ironically enough, I walked into one patch of grass before a Ditto leapt out.

Also, if anyone was wondering, yes, I’m naming my party members after RWBY characters, old and new. :D

EDIT: I’m also hoping Nora will help with gym battles like Morty’s and Clair’s where the type of Pokemon is effective against the same type. Of course, Nora will have to be stronger by then.

Last edited:
Back