• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon The Official "Is My Pokémon Hacked?" Thread

Tensu

Bells
Pink Feather
Red Feather
Blue Feather
Purple Feather
Yellow Feather
151.gif
The Official "Is My Pok?mon Hacked?" Thread
151.gif

Hello everyone! Welcome to my thread. If you're unsure of the legitimacy of a pok?mon, you've come to the right place! Here on this thread, you can get your new pok?mon checked. I'll do my best to get you a good answer using my overall knowledge of the game and research. This service is free of course, but please limit to only requesting getting two pok?mon checked per day. Anyways, thanks so much for reading!

Note: This service is only for pok?mon in Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, X, and Y.
251.gif
How to Get Your Pok?mon Checked
251.gif

Please copy and paste the form below so that I can know every detail of the pok?mon in question. Post the form here and only PM it to me if necessary.​

Code:
Pokemon:
Current name (Exactly as it appears):
OT:
Trainer ID #:
Game used to obtain info:
Location caught at:
Ball caught in:
Level met or arrived at:
Level it is now:
Ability:
Nature:
Characteristic:
Date Received:
Shiny?: Yes/No
Ribbons (if applicable):
Current stats: HP/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef/Speed

Moves:
-
-
-
-

Anything else?:

385.gif
Legit vs. Legal vs. Hacked
385.gif

Legit: A pok?mon that is legitimate has been caught or hatched inside the game, without using any outside software such as Action Replay, or PowerSaves.

Legal: A pok?mon that is legal may have been caught or hatched using outside software, like Action Replay or PowerSaves. But it looks just like (or almost just like) a legit pok?mon, so it can usually battle online.

Hacked: A pok?mon that is hacked was made using outside software that is not licensed by Nintendo.

Note: If two hacked pok?mon breed in the game, the offspring will be considered legal. Even though it may inherit an illegal pok?ball, it is legal because it was obtained only through the means of the game. Illegal pok?balls are permitted on official online battles and not blocked by pok?mon. However, if the offspring of two hacks has illegal moves, I'd consider that a hack. Keep in mind that these definitions are not officially set by Nintendo, so they might a bit vague.

490.gif
How to Become a Legality Checker
490.gif

If you are interested in helping me maintain this thread and help people with their questions, please PM me. Make sure you've been on this site for a couple of months before trying to become a legality checker. Also, you need to be very knowledgeable about pok?mon and be very committed to helping out. Please don't just register with me if you're going to do nothing. You are not guaranteed to become a legality checker just by asking. I added a list of registered helpers below.

This thread was inspired by the thread on Neoseeker.​

Last edited:
Sure, here's one I picked up recently. Game doesn't stop me using it for anything so it has passed the initial "checks".

Pokemon: Suicune
Current name: Suicune
OT: HikariSan
Trainer ID #: 46721
Game used to obtain info: Alpha Sapphire
Location caught at: Trackless Forest
Ball caught in: Dive ball
Level met or arrived at: Lv. 50
Level it is now: Lv. 100
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Modest
Characteristic: Alert to sounds
Date Received: 12/30th/2014
Shiny?: Yes
Ribbons (if applicable):
Current stats: 364 HP/ 157 Atk/ 263 Def/ 305 SpAtk/ 280 SpDef/ 231 Speed

Moves:
-Scald
-Toxic
-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam

Anything else?: No rush.

Sure, here's one I picked up recently. Game doesn't stop me using it for anything so it has passed the initial "checks".

Pokemon: Suicune
Current name: Suicune
OT: HikariSan
Trainer ID #: 46721
Location caught at: Trackless Forest
Ball caught in: Dive ball
Level it is now: Lv. 100
Ability: Pressure
Characteristic: Alert to sounds
Date Received: 12/30th/2014
Ribbons (if applicable):
Current stats: 364 HP/ 157 Atk/ 263 Def/ 305 SpAtk/ 280 SpDef/ 231 Speed

Moves:
-Scald
-Toxic
-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam

Anything else?: No rush.

I've looked it over and it seems pretty legit to me. You should have no problem. :)

Pokemon:Rayquaza
Current name (Exactly as it appears):Rayquaza
OT:FEILONG
Trainer ID #: 30311
Game used to obtain info: Omega ruby? (idk what this means
Location caught at: Traded from old ruby/ sapphire games
Ball caught in: pokeball
Level met or arrived at: 100
Level it is now: 100
Ability: air lock
Nature: jolly
Characteristic: alert to sounds
Date Received:
Ribbons (if applicable): Hoenn champion and wishing ribbon
Current stats: 6 iv

Moves:
-Dragon Ascent
-Iron head
-Dragon claw
-V create

Anything else?:

Pokemon:Rayquaza
Current name (Exactly as it appears):Rayquaza
OT:FEILONG
Trainer ID #: 30311
Game used to obtain info: Omega ruby? (idk what this means
Location caught at: Traded from old ruby/ sapphire games
Ball caught in: pokeball
Level met or arrived at: 100
Level it is now: 100
Ability: air lock
Nature: jolly
Characteristic: alert to sounds
Date Received:
Ribbons (if applicable): Hoenn champion and wishing ribbon
Current stats: 6 iv

Moves:
-Dragon Ascent
-Iron head
-Dragon claw
-V create

Anything else?:

Unfortunately, there are a number of things that sound pretty sketchy on this one. If it was transferred from the original Ruby or Sapphire, it couldn't possibly have V-Create. Although there was one event for a V-Create Rayquaza, it was only in Japan, it wasn't shiny, and the OT and Trainer ID are incorrect. Sorry, but that sounds like a definite hack.

"Legal" and "hacked" aren't mutually exclusive to each other. A Pokemon that was hacked into the game is still considered legal as long as it is able to pass the game's checks and is able to be traded and battled with. As for the definition of a legal Pokemon, there is more to it than just having to have passed the game's (crappy) legality checker. The Pokemon also has to be able to exist naturally in the game without the use of external devices. So no, that Dream Ball Aromatisse that someone bred from a hacked Dream Ball Aromatisse isn't legal - despite being able to be used in battling and trading - as Gen 6 Pokemon (except for Sylveon) can't be obtained naturally in a ball type that was only obtainable in Gen 5.

Also, the reason why I say the legality checker in ORAS and XY is garbage is because illegal ball types, ribbons, shininess and in some cases even moves manage to get passed the checker on hacked Pokemon. I've received shiny Moltres and Mewtwo that were caught in X and Y from Wonder Trade, despite both of those legendaries being shiny locked in those games. Numerous events come with ribbons that prevent them from being traded through GTS or WT, yet can have their ribbons removed through editing or hacking and be traded on GTS and WT; such as the 18th movie shiny Arceus event. A good example of a Pokemon having a move that is not possible for a Pokemon of its type is Greninja's Ruby/Sapphire shiny Rayquaza with V-Create.

Hey, Azure! If you need help with this, I'd love to make myself useful :)

I've been studying pokemon for what seems like forever, and I can usually tell differences, even slight ones. :)

Unfortunately, there are a number of things that sound pretty sketchy on this one. If it was transferred from the original Ruby or Sapphire, it couldn't possibly have V-Create. Although there was one event for a V-Create Rayquaza, it was only in Japan, it wasn't shiny, and the OT and Trainer ID are incorrect. Sorry, but that sounds like a definite hack.

aww that sucks i bought is off of someone here on the forums too :(

"Legal" and "hacked" aren't mutually exclusive to each other. A Pokemon that was hacked into the game is still considered legal as long as it is able to pass the game's checks and is able to be traded and battled with. As for the definition of a legal Pokemon, there is more to it than just having to have passed the game's (crappy) legality checker. The Pokemon also has to be able to exist naturally in the game without the use of external devices. So no, that Dream Ball Aromatisse that someone bred from a hacked Dream Ball Aromatisse isn't legal - despite being able to be used in battling and trading - as Gen 6 Pokemon (except for Sylveon) can't be obtained naturally in a ball type that was only obtainable in Gen 5.

Also, the reason why I say the legality checker in ORAS and XY is garbage is because illegal ball types, ribbons, shininess and in some cases even moves manage to get passed the checker on hacked Pokemon. I've received shiny Moltres and Mewtwo that were caught in X and Y from Wonder Trade, despite both of those legendaries being shiny locked in those games. Numerous events come with ribbons that prevent them from being traded through GTS or WT, yet can have their ribbons removed through editing or hacking and be traded on GTS and WT; such as the 18th movie shiny Arceus event. A good example of a Pokemon having a move that is not possible for a Pokemon of its type is Greninja's Ruby/Sapphire shiny Rayquaza with V-Create.

There are many definitions of hacked and legal, but I consider a hacked pok?mon that has absurd stats or moves to be a hack. But if a pok?mon is hacked but looks identical to a legit one, I'd consider it legal because it is just as possible to be obtained through natural means. As for the pok?ball, the parents with the illegal pok?balls are hacked, but since the actual pok?mon was hatched without using hacks I consider it legal because that particular pok?mon was hatched without using any outside software. Tbh Legit vs. Legal vs. Hacked is extremely subjective, so if someone has a case like this, I'll be sure to explain in full detail for them to decide what they believe. Thanks for your comment, I'll be sure to be conscious of the these cases. :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Hey, Azure! If you need help with this, I'd love to make myself useful :)

I've been studying pokemon for what seems like forever, and I can usually tell differences, even slight ones. :)

Awesome! I'd really appreciate the help. I know you're super familiar with pok?mon so of course you can help! Again, thanks! :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

aww that sucks i bought is off of someone here on the forums too :(

That's a bummer. Well, good luck getting a refund. :(

Hi, there! Fellow hacker here.

I would love to help out, simply because I feel like I could provide you guys with information related to hacking and the technicalities of a hacked Pok?mon. But, again, it's important to keep in mind that it's 100% impossible to tell whether a Pok?mon has been hacked or not, if the hacker has put effort into making it look legitimate. To be honest, if you didn't try and make it look legitimate, you wouldn't be able to do much at all with it, so I'm pretty sure every hacker (at least nowadays) will be making them legitimate. If they aren't, you can't transfer them, play online with them, use them in Pok?mon Bank, or in tournaments.

So, basically, 90% of hacked Pok?mon (and 99% of Pok?mon belonging to members here) will be legitimate, because if they weren't, people would be having problems with them.

Hi, there! Fellow hacker here.

I would love to help out, simply because I feel like I could provide you guys with information related to hacking and the technicalities of a hacked Pok?mon. But, again, it's important to keep in mind that it's 100% impossible to tell whether a Pok?mon has been hacked or not, if the hacker has put effort into making it look legitimate. To be honest, if you didn't try and make it look legitimate, you wouldn't be able to do much at all with it, so I'm pretty sure every hacker (at least nowadays) will be making them legitimate. If they aren't, you can't transfer them, play online with them, use them in Pok?mon Bank, or in tournaments.

So, basically, 90% of hacked Pok?mon (and 99% of Pok?mon belonging to members here) will be legitimate, because if they weren't, people would be having problems with them.

Hi Bowie!

Thanks for offering to help! I really appreciate it. Also, I know hoe difficult and sometimes impossible it is to tell apart a hack from a legal or legit pok?mon. A lot of hackers are really good at making their hacks look exactly like the original. However, there are some exceptions. You'll notice that Pok?mon Bank is extremely picky about legendaries. But a lot of the time it'll allow a hacked or illegally caught pok?mon that doesn't even have a legal origin. Again, I know that is mostly impossible to tell apart a good hack, but sometimes there is a detail that even the game might miss.

Thank you again for volunteering to help out. I'll add your name to the list now. :)

I find it weird that an egg from hacked parents is not considered a hack. Especially if the baby gets weird moves because of it. I don't really mind if my Pok?mon are hacked or not though.
I did have a weird one in BW I think. I got a Thunderus in a trade and it didn't trigger the event you needed a Thunderus for. It was shiny, level 100, and caught in a master ball so I was pretty sure it was hacked anyway. I just thought it was funny the game didn't recognize it for the event.

I find it weird that an egg from hacked parents is not considered a hack. Especially if the baby gets weird moves because of it. I don't really mind if my Pok?mon are hacked or not though.
I did have a weird one in BW I think. I got a Thunderus in a trade and it didn't trigger the event you needed a Thunderus for. It was shiny, level 100, and caught in a master ball so I was pretty sure it was hacked anyway. I just thought it was funny the game didn't recognize it for the event.

I consider the child of two hacked pok?mon to be legal at best, because the child itself was created only through the breeding mechanics of the game. If they inherit illegal moves, that's a different story. That would make it hacked because those moves are not natural. Same goes with an illegal pok?ball, the difference is that the pok?ball does not effect the battle and is even permitted on official online battles. Also, the definitions of legal and hacked are subjective, so if someone has a case like this I will thoroughly explain the issue with their pok?mon instead of just labeling them as legal or hacked. Thank you :)

I'm assuming that the egg from hacked parents will not receive any "odd" moves that it couldn't receive normally. Unless there is something about the technicalities of egg moves that I don't understand (i.e. if an egg move is detected in parents it always transfers to the egg whether that pokemon should have it or not).

I'm assuming that the egg from hacked parents will not receive any "odd" moves that it couldn't receive normally. Unless there is something about the technicalities of egg moves that I don't understand (i.e. if an egg move is detected in parents it always transfers to the egg whether that pokemon should have it or not).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure pok?mon will only pass on moves in breeding that they can normally learn.

I got this one over wonder trade, and I've been suspicious about it for awhile now.

Pokemon: Darkrai
Current name: Darkrai
OT: Kert
Trainer ID #: 52779
Location caught at: Pokemon Movie 14
Ball caught in: Dusk Ball
Level it is now: Lv. 85
Ability: Bad Dreams
Characteristic: Somewhat vain
Date Received: 4/24/2014
Shiny?: No
Ribbons (if applicable):
Current stats: 241 HP/ 165 Atk/ 184 Def/ 286 SpAtk/ 185 SpDef/ 244 Speed

Moves:
-Shadow Ball
-Dark Pulse
-Dark Void
-Dream Eater

Anything else?: Nope.

I got this one over wonder trade, and I've been suspicious about it for awhile now.

Ribbons (if applicable):

Moves:
-Shadow Ball
-Dark Pulse
-Dark Void
-Dream Eater

I don't think that's legit as its in a Dusk Ball, the Darkrai events have only been in Cherish balls for The 14th movie event.

Ribbons (if applicable):

Moves:
-Shadow Ball
-Dark Pulse
-Dark Void
-Dream Eater

This does not sound legit to me because if it was the Movie 14 Event Darkrai, it would not be in a Dusk Ball, it would not have the OT "Kurt", and it would have a ribbon. Try battling with it online and see what the game tells you. I'm 99% sure it's a hack. Sorry ):

Back