• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Pokémon The Joey Challenge

katronsensei

Bells
So, recently I saw someone on tumblr complete their Joey Challenge. It seemed interesting, so I decided to try it.

The Joey Challenge is where you only have a Rattata all through out the game annd beat everyone with it basically. You cannot use any other pokemon expect for HMs... And supposedly you Rattata can't evolve either, but I might let my evolve just because canceling that evolution all the time till I find a everstone would be annoying.

To do this challenge... I recommendd making rattata eggs in another game, and then have a friend help you transfer them to the game you will do the challenge on. This way you can hatch them their and you will eb the OT. I found otherwise the thing outlevels your badges quickly.

I'm at the first gym at the moment in Omega Ruby... I'm training a bit. I'm scared of that rock type yo. ;-; My rattata is level 15...

Has anyone done tthis? Would anyone be interested in this challenge? I wouldnt mind giving out eggs to people if they really wanted to :). If anyone has done it, please share your experiences involving this challenge/any advice.

Is this even possible?

People HAVE completed the challenge. Some even have youtube videos. I'm guessing it is possible... Just hard and lots of training. I enjoy a challenge though. :) I cheated and made a 6iv rattata though rofl.

Okay I just took dow Roxanne... It wasn't quick granted, but I did it! <3... My Rattata is level 16. I think the biggest threat was her geodudes rock throw, but I took it down. It was just a long process or biting and then using a potion and biting again... Kind of the same process with her nosepass.. Though it kept using harden and tackle, so it took down less of my hper. It was harder to take down though with bite.

I feel soooo proud of myself. I am ready to kill everything with this Rat!!

If you sent the ratata over from another game why not send an everstone over too?

If you sent the ratata over from another game why not send an everstone over too?

I don't have a everstone in the other game too... I've never seen the point in having them, so I've always sold them. That's a good idea though. I might try to find one somehow later. Maybe i missed one somewhere? I have three games, so it shouldnt be hard forr me. I'll just have to bug my friend again when shes free.

You can get everstones off wild roggenrola in mirror cave in XY

You can get everstones off wild roggenrola in mirror cave in XY

Oh wow cool. o3o I don't do much personal catching. I tend to do a lot of wondertrading to have a variety of IDS for lotto.
Thanks for the help though. :) I'll just stop playying when it tries to evolve and wait to get a everstone then.

I might try this is black 2

Have fun :) Like I recommended... Hatch the eggs in the pokemon game you are doing the challenge for. If you're the OT the Rattata will obey you no matter how high it is :) When I first started it I made a mistake on just sending one over, and it out leveled and wouldnt obey me ;-;

Yeah, I started to do the run once on FireRed. Surprisingly, Lucky (my Ratatta) actually did quite well for himself. I'm thinking of trying the run again in the near future on HeartGold or SoulSilver.

Last edited:
Yeah, I started to do the run once on FireRed. Surprisingly, Lucky (my Ratatta) actually did quite well for himself. I'm thinking of trying the run again in the near future on HeartGold or SoulSilver.

You should! I find it kind of fun to have mine. When I get to the nicknamers hut I am going to nickname him. I'm not sure what though. I might talk to some of my pokemon nerds to figure out a good name for him :).

I passed the second gym on omega ruby. My rattatas level 19, and surprisly his hyper fang is a really good attack. I gave him a silk scarf to, which I think helps. I either one shotted or two shotted the gym leader, which was surprising. My first gym was hard though. Roxanne is a rock type (or ground?), and I had to keep using potions after every two turns we took. It was timee consuming and I think if I hadn't out leveled her pokemon by 6 levels I would have died xox

This reminds me of in HG/SS when those one or two trainers keep calling you on the Pokegear and saying,

"Hey, you know my Rattata? I feel like it's in the top percentage of Rattata. Okay, bye! See you later!"

You should! I find it kind of fun to have mine. When I get to the nicknamers hut I am going to nickname him. I'm not sure what though. I might talk to some of my pokemon nerds to figure out a good name for him :).

I passed the second gym on omega ruby. My rattatas level 19, and surprisly his hyper fang is a really good attack. I gave him a silk scarf to, which I think helps. I either one shotted or two shotted the gym leader, which was surprising. My first gym was hard though. Roxanne is a rock type (or ground?), and I had to keep using potions after every two turns we took. It was timee consuming and I think if I hadn't out leveled her pokemon by 6 levels I would have died xox

All right- thanks for the suggestion! I started a run on SoulSilver. After I got my Pokeballs, I caught a female Ratatta, who I nicknamed Kairi, and is level 3 right now. [EDIT: Kairi's level 8 now.]

I completely understand where you're coming from on that- back when I originally played Sapphire, I had a run where my only Pokemon at that point was a Zigzagoon. Believe me, I had to use a lot of Headbutts with a level 20 Linoone to get her Nosepass' HP down.

Also, on that, Youngster Joey called me for the first time. It was a beautiful moment.

Last edited:
Well... if any of you were curious, I just defeated Falkner in my challenge. It was actually surprisingly difficult, considering I was only 2 levels above his Pidgeotto and had to heal three times to win.

I know it's probably not as challenging if I do so, but... I definitely will evolve my Rattata. Its gaping mouth is kind of creepy. I mean, if you challenge Joey again, he does have a Raticate after a while. So why not?

Back