• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is Palworld a complete ripoff of Pokemon?

DarthGohan1

TBT Old Timer
Retired Staff
Bells
Chocolate Cake
Wallopoid
Wallopoid
Pavé
Cake
5 Envelopes
Mailbox
This new game Palworld just launched, sold 5 million copies on steam in under a week, is breaking steam records for new game launches. Only problem is that it looks like a blatant ripoff of Pokemon (with added violence). Has anyone played the game, how is it? Does this game even have a chance of surviving Nintendo/Pokemon Company's lawyers? Does Gamefreak need to realize this is more proof that they are way too long overdue for making a good Pokemon game?

it's not, pokemon fans just freak out whenever theres anything remotely pokemon-like that releases. if anything it's more like an ark clone 😂

i highly doubt they will get sued since nintendo/pokemon doesn't own the concept of creature collecting. did they take inspiration from pokemon designs? 1000% but inspiration/derivation, even when heavy handed, isn't plagarism

edit: also probably worth noting that nintendo has DMCA'd nonprofit fan games to oblivion before they ever release if they feel it infringes on their IP rights, so if they felt there was a case against palworld being infringing, it never would've came out.

it looks really fun from the gameplay vids i've watched, but 40 dollars for an early access title is too steep for me, gonna wait for a sale.

gamefreak sadly makes so much money that this won't stop them from releasing slop again in a few years

Last edited:
hot take, but i personally think so. (maybe not complete, but definitely in terms of creature design.) i know a lot of people are enjoying claiming anyone saying that is riding pokemon/gamefreak, but i've seen some of the designs and some of them are way too similar for me to consider it "inspiration", and the creators seem super pro-AI art, which doesn't give me much if any confidence that these designs were completely human-thought either. (i've also heard they copied/borrowed from fan-made pokemon designs, too.) "pokemon games are lazy cash-grabs and need serious improvement" and "palworld heavily adopted pokemon designs to the point of arguably blatant copying and/or being a ripoff" are statements that can co-exist lol, and i've personally not seen anyone say it's a rip-off simply because it's a monster collecting game, since things like digimon and yo-kai watch etc. prove you can make a monster-collecting game/story with your own neat designs that barely resemble pokemon's, so 🤷‍♀️

I'm thrilled this exists. It shows just how bad Pokemon games are nowadays that an early access indie game works and looks better than anything Gamefreak poops out. That said, this game is more like Minecraft and Ark than Pokemon. The only thing Pokemon about it that you catch creatures. Everything else is survival, crafting and entering dungeons which are not Pokemon related. I hope the devs keep on this project cause it has lots of potential.

It definitely looks like a rip-off of Pokémon, but I'm not mad at that. I wish I had a gaming PC so I could play it!

What Pokemon/GameFreak need to realise is that they are not alone in the creature collecting business and need to stop resting on their laurels if they want to continue being on top. The recent Pokemon games are an indicator that they aren't really concerned what the fans might want. They should be. I'm glad that Palworld exists because its something new, different and will put pressure on Pokemon to hopefully step their game up. It remains to be seen if it will either be a good competitor with Pokemon or drop off like Yokai Watch.

There is already a lot of controversay online. I've been seeing some posts of some people saying that the game is AI generated which I don't know if thats true or not. Also speaking of Pokemon I see that someone made a mod skin for Palworld that basically just replaces all the sprites with Pokemon models.

Palworld is clearly a parody of Pokemon, but it's also doing something that Pokemon has failed to do for years which is create a modern and vast open world game where you can collect and battle monsters as well as build and customise a home-base. All the preachy hate for Palworld is nothing but hardcore Pokemon fans being jealous that Game Freak didn't think of this first because lets be honest Scarlet & Violet was a shallow attempt at what Palworld has managed to succeed in.

The designs were definitely intended to evoke the brand identity of Pokémon. Much of the social media buzz around the game prior to release was literally "Pokémon with guns." So it's not unfair to point out its similarities.

As to being an absolute rip-off, I suppose not. But rather than answering that, my response to that is who cares? Pokémon is the highest grossing media franchise in history. I picture once the initial wave of popularity for this game ends, they'll put out another half-hearted game and sell millions just as they always do. The people acting like this game is a threat of some sort and that it will do irreparable harm to GameFreak or Nintendo are really... really weird to me to put it one way.

I know it's probably difficult to take my opinion seriously because, you know, my name and icon - but I do get the feeling that a lot of the people talking about how Palworld will put Game Freak in their place are the same ones who completely ignored more creative monster catching games like Yo-kai Watch when they came out?

I agree that Pokémon games have kind of sucked in terms of quality in recent years, and would like to see more competition to make the creators kick themselves into gear - but I wish people would turn to the far better games out there to do that, instead of the one with some designs that are, admittedly, far too similar to some Pokémon.

Also, the black-and-white thinking that everyone who doesn't like Palworld is just a butthurt Pokémon fan is really immature tbh. Especially when, as someone else here pointed out, the creators have dabbled in AI - that shows that they have a pretty dubious amount of respect towards artists as a whole. These kinds of discussions need to be had without blanket assumptions about the people trying to express that.

Last edited:
Palworld is clearly a parody of Pokemon, but it's also doing something that Pokemon has failed to do for years which is create a modern and vast open world game where you can collect and battle monsters as well as build and customise a home-base. All the preachy hate for Palworld is nothing but hardcore Pokemon fans being jealous that Game Freak didn't think of this first because lets be honest Scarlet & Violet was a shallow attempt at what Palworld has managed to succeed in.
I don't know anything about Palworld. I literally had to look it up on Google as I haven't heard of it prior to this post, so forgive me if this isn't relevant, but I remember in the Hoenn games (Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby) being able to customize a little area in a cave(?) with plushies. I know that's a one on a customization scale since you should have been able to do so much more. I feel like Pokémon could have built on this. Instead, we haven't seen this feature since to my knowledge.

I don't know anything about Palworld. I literally had to look it up on Google as I haven't heard of it prior to this post, so forgive me if this isn't relevant, but I remember in the Hoenn games (Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby) being able to customize a little area in a cave(?) with plushies. I know that's a one on a customization scale since you should have been able to do so much more. I feel like Pokémon could have built on this. Instead, we haven't seen this feature since to my knowledge.
yup, the secret base system! it actually also existed in diamond/pearl/platinum in the underground. it made a return in omega ruby/alpha sapphire, pretty close to the original if i remember? but the remakes of diamond/pearl were super dumbed down, you could only decorate with ugly statues to increase spawn rates.

it never returned again, and i thought it was one of the more fun things in gen 3/gen 4. then again i also liked pokémon contests, so maybe most pokémon players don’t want base building.

anyways, is palworld any good from anyone who’s played it? i’ve heard so much hype but i was wondering if it was just a meme.

It seemed weird to me at first but I brushed that aside, thinking maybe this was just a game trying to make a statement by doing things a Pokemon game never would. Like maybe that's why they look like Pokemon? Especially after the latest games were coming out more and more rushed...
But then I learned about the devs being into AI art and I'm not sure anymore that a human designed those creatures... Maybe the models, but the designs? If an AI made that, it would make so much sense why they all look like "rip-offs".
I'm into Yo-Kai Watch and Digimon and they never just straight up make something that looks a Pokemon. They make their own things. They have their own style.
Palworld doesn't have a unique style and with devs into AI art, that's very suspicious.

it really seems like a rip-off, someone posted comparisons with pokemon and some are more obvious (the green cinderace looks way too similar to deny or say it was a coincidence), the possible use of AI isn’t great either

I guess it would’ve been one thing if the game was free, but they’re charging money for this

there are other games like digimon that show you can make creatures that don’t look like pokemon

it really seems like a rip-off, someone posted comparisons with pokemon and some are more obvious (the green cinderace looks way too similar to deny or say it was a coincidence), the possible use of AI isn’t great either

I guess it would’ve been one thing if the game was free, but they’re charging money for this

there are other games like digimon that show you can make creatures that don’t look like pokemon
Why in the world would anyone need a side-by-side comparison to tell you that it looks similar to Pokémon when that is the obvious joke? Under this same guidance, we might be alarmed at some strikingly similar character designs in The Simpsons.
250px-An_Anime_Among_Us%21.png
simpsonspokemon-208480-994223.jpg

Even the name "Palworld" brings to mind things like that horribly translated Vietnamese version of Crystal that became a meme a decade or so ago.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I just think it's simply mind-blowing that we seriously have people making side-by-side comparisons to demonstrate what is ostensibly the entire point of the game. The very front-and-center point of its packaging. And I sincerely don't know what more they could have done to make it clear that this game is satire. I'm also not trying to defend the game's quality or its creators. The game honestly looks like dreck to me, and there are definitely some problems with the creator that make me hesitant to support it with a purchase. But attempting to systematically prove that the game looks like Pokémon--something which we can all see with our own eyes and is also the only reason anyone is even buying this game to begin with--feels like an enormous distraction from the otherwise legitimate points.

I don't think Palworld is a ripoff of Pokemon, I think it basically achieve what Pokemon didn't touch upon. (Ex. Humans actually fighting, monsters farming, etc.) while going for the theme of "survival".

As a former Pokemon fan, the game is interesting and promising and I wish Pokemon fans didn't attack it just because it's in a monster catching genre.

It basically delivers what disappointed former Pokemon fans are expecting initially on console Pokemon games (especially Switch Pokemon games) in my opinion.

And honestly, Pokemon needed serious competition in order to improve.

And honestly, Pokemon needed serious competition in order to improve.
This is a sentiment that I agree with, but I don't know why people are under the impression that Palworld is going to be the game that will do it. I'm speculating that once the initial craze for the game comes and goes, the player rate will die off hard, because it's game that seems to live and die on its premise alone. Games like Tem Tem also promised to provide a Pokémon alternative for jaded fans of the series (or non-Nintendo players in general), but it hasn't really done anything to threaten Gamefreak's bottom line, either.

But even if we assume that momentum for this game continues to grow, I don't suspect that the people who purchase Palworld won't buy the next Pokémon game as well. The overlap in demographic is 1:1. Scarlet and VIolet were critically thrashed on release and still went onto sell comparably to Sword and Shield, which also went on to be the highest selling games in the series since Gold and Silver, despite being marred in numerous controversies. Anecdotally, I know people who bought Scarlet and Violet despite knowing they would dislike it.

I just don't picture that Pokémon is going to change much in response to this. I think the next Pokémon game will release as it normally does and it will be business as usual.

This is a sentiment that I agree with, but I don't know why people are under the impression that Palworld is going to be the game that will do it. I'm speculating that once the initial craze for the game comes and goes, the player rate will die off hard, because it's game that seems to live and die on its premise alone. Games like Tem Tem also promised to provide a Pokémon alternative for jaded fans of the series (or non-Nintendo players in general), but it hasn't really done anything to threaten Gamefreak's bottom line, either.

But even if we assume that momentum for this game continues to grow, I don't suspect that the people who purchase Palworld won't buy the next Pokémon game as well. The overlap in demographic is 1:1. Scarlet and VIolet were critically thrashed on release and still went onto sell comparably to Sword and Shield, which also went on to be the highest selling games in the series since Gold and Silver, despite being marred in numerous controversies. Anecdotally, I know people who bought Scarlet and Violet despite knowing they would dislike it.

I just don't picture that Pokémon is going to change much in response to this. I think the next Pokémon game will release as it normally does and it will be business as usual.
The part where people still buy the game regardless of the drop in quality gets me.

I don't understand the mentality of
"I dislike the game, but I'm going to still buy it regardless."

It doesn't make sense to me at all because If I know I'm going to dislike the game, I'm not going to buy the game (I didn't buy Pokemon sw/sh and scarlet/violet because of how poorly made and rushed they were). And besides, there's plenty of gameplay videos and streams on YouTube so I still don't understand the people that dislike the game but buy it anyways. It baffles me in my opinion.

Again, just my two cents and an opinion on this topic.

Oh yeah, this game won't stop Pokemon sales at all. Pokemon fans are known to be loyal to a fault and will buy anything with a Pokemon label on it, quality or not.

Having a game like Palworld (or Coromon, Nexomon, etc) is not a bad thing whatsoever and I personally welcome it. Palworld scratches that open world Pokemon game itch perfectly since Gamefreak just fails to deliver. Dunno why Pokemon fans think it'll be Pokemon's doom cause it won't be. Why play one or the other? What's wrong with playing both?

The part where people still buy the game regardless of the drop in quality gets me.

I don't understand the mentality of
"I dislike the game, but I'm going to still buy it regardless."

It doesn't make sense to me at all because If I know I'm going to dislike the game, I'm not going to buy the game (I didn't buy Pokemon sw/sh and scarlet/violet because of how poorly made and rushed they were). And besides, there's plenty of gameplay videos and streams on YouTube so I still don't understand the people that dislike the game but buy it anyways. It baffles me in my opinion.

Again, just my two cents and an opinion on this topic.
Brand loyalty is a particularly strong force in the Pokémon fandom from what I've seen. I'm not claiming that everyone who bought Scarlet/Violet were just corporate shills who just can't think for themselves; I'm fine with someone enjoying the games in spite of its myriad of flaws. We all have our comfort games, and we all have our subjective lines as to what we consider "good" and "bad." But discourse surrounding the games is extremely tiresome when any point of critique is either dismissed as a nitpick, forcibly lumped in with the pitchforks-and-knives mob mentality as a means of discrediting it, or just denied as a thing that exists in general despite the myriad of screenshots and videos to demonstrate otherwise. All that to say, I think it's just become extremely popular of late to have these brands tied intrinsically to your identity, so the quality of the games becomes irrelevant to the purchasing decisions of some groups.

As a point of comparison, the recent Suicide Squad game is currently being (rightfully!!) bombarded with negative press at the moment, and while it is a minority of people, there is a rather loud bunch who are attempting to make the argument that choosing to not spend money on a game that you do not want is an act of selfishness because of the studio's previous track record of making good games. I'm a bit outside the demographic for that particular game, but I do take issue with this kind of discourse. And I feel like we go through this with Pokémon every single time they release anything at all.

Having a game like Palworld (or Coromon, Nexomon, etc) is not a bad thing whatsoever and I personally welcome it. Palworld scratches that open world Pokemon game itch perfectly since Gamefreak just fails to deliver. Dunno why Pokemon fans think it'll be Pokemon's doom cause it won't be. Why play one or the other? What's wrong with playing both?
In my mind, even if Pokémon games weren't in a downward spiral in terms of quality, I feel like these two games deliver two very different niches. People like to use "linear" as a blanket statement for poor quality, but there is a place for linear RPG's. I don't think bigger world with more options necessarily translates to better game design. So even if Pokémon were to suddenly improve drastically or if I just didn't care about the declining quality, the two would be substantially different enough that I wouldn't feel like they fulfill the same niche.

Of course that's a losing argument anyway, now that every series is trying to reinvent themselves in the wake of open world's immense popularity as a selling point. Even games like Sonic, where the appeal is its simplicity. So what do I know?!

Back