• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

The April 23rd New Horizons UPDATE!

oh oh my GOD i am SO HYPED... I'm actually glad they decided to gradually update the game, keeps things exciting! There's so much new content and events in this update, excited for future ones! ;-;

Yeah it is definitely hard to wait! I just hope they bring back diving eventually. I’m pretty hyped to see bushes and shrubs come back though

super excited about this. out of the datamined stuff, Redd was my #1 wish so I'm really glad it's coming so soon!

OK, my thoughts on it:
  • Huh, we're getting seasonal updates rather than monthly ones. That works? Especially given we're getting SO MUCH STUFF
  • It's also a day late, which is pretty... eh, but Super Mario Maker 2 appears to have taken that spot and Nook's Cranny should be closed for remodelling if you started on March 20th. But the event spans both Earth Day and Greenery Day, so that's pretty good! Although the fact holidays seem to be pretty much the same worldwide is honestly kind of disappointing.
  • Once again, why is the EU English one using terms from the US version? Calling a shoot a start just feels wrong, pls fix it at some point, Nintendo (Spork's still called Crackle, tho, so you didn't mess that up, and although I've never stayed up that late, I prefer the NTSC test-card so I don't really care about that)
  • Redd's selling furniture again! Although it just seems to be furniture you can get at Nook's Cranny, but in different colourways to the ones you can get on your island. I feel this is what Cyrus should have done?
  • OK, griping over... HEY, THERE'S WEDDING SEASON! Harvey's got something to do! New furniture! Reece and Cyrus are married now!
  • The International Museum Day event is interesting, and it weirdly reminds me of the DLC for Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast... interested in what the rewards are going to be, though.
  • May Day, according to the Japanese update site, appears to be to do with the International Worker's Day version of May Day rather than the pagan-y one, and Rover's back, confirming my suspicion that the minor events have been majorly fleshed out, which is something Animal Crossing desperately needed to happen to it... thought he'd be back for Explorer's Day, though. Given what dates it's happening on, will we see some stuff for Children's Day as a reward?
  • The upgraded museum looks great! Thought those banners were entirely blank, was worried 4Kids entertainment came in to do some textures there... but they've actually got subtle patterns on them. Very nice.
  • BUSHES, YES... but also bush fences? Probably a DIY thing... could this also mean we get some other bush-related DIYs? And by that, I mean PLEASE GIVE ME THE BIG BUSH PILES FROM THE GAMECUBE VERSION, NINTENDO
  • Going by the amount of content they've added in in terms of events, we should probably see the next update at the start of July? I'm thinking Kapp'n, his family and Tortimer will turn up, along with diving and seafood, and *hopefully* Copper and Booker for Morning Aerobics... but I could be wrong, didn't guess Rover and the alpacas'd turn up.
  • Could there be a secret third upgrade to Nook's Cranny? Time will tell, and by time I mean "when we get to the end of June"
  • Overall, I'm pleased. Going by the amount they're adding in, I like how they're treating the game as something that evolves over time and I like the expanded events.

I screamed through the entire thing :D I absolutely love it all! I'm incredibly happy about how this game is being released in small doses, it's so exciting and new! I love the bushes and the art museum looks stunning! I love Redd's little boat and I hope Leif visits frequently too <3

I'm also very excited for the May/June events, particularly the special tours, they look like so much fun!

Mine's under construction today seeing as I started the game during the eshop's midnight release (and the game officially rolling over the next day at 5:00 AM). Funnily enough, it's as if they're taking a break to celebrate my birthday with me today, haha.

Other than that, it's kind of weird, yet convenient that they're releasing game updates two days in a row (ie. Super Mario Maker 2's big world map update tomorrow on the 22nd and ACNH's on the 23rd), but it's probably just a coincidence.
I started at midnight on eshop release as well. I guess my shop went up a day after yours did lol

Yay! They are finally adding in basic features from New Leaf that (IMO) should've been there in the first place! I guess I have a little more faith in these updates, now.

So.... is Leif only around for the event or is he going to be permanently in the visiting rotation? If he’s event only, I can see people stocking up on bushes big time.

So.... is Leif only around for the event or is he going to be permanently in the visiting rotation? If he’s event only, I can see people stocking up on bushes big time.

I imagine he's more frequent during the event, but is a weekly appearance afterwards.

Little details I've noticed from the update video:
  • Redd is selling furniture again! Unlike NL, in which he only sold art/sculptures. I'm glad he's gone back to his roots :)
  • When they show the International Museum Day part, you can see that the small gap between the two chairs in the second floor of the museum is now an entrance (where? possibly to the art section or maybe an entire floor of the museum?). This might confirm the fact that the Café and Museum Shop will be standalone buildings.

I imagine he's more frequent during the event, but is a weekly appearance afterwards.

Leif
Redd
Flick
CJ
Label
Kicks
Gulliver
Sahara

Looks like it won’t be every visitor every week since they never double up... and they don’t seem to show up on Sundays.

Leif
Redd
Flick
CJ
Label
Kicks
Gulliver
Sahara

Looks like it won’t be every visitor every week since they never double up... and they don’t seem to show up on Sundays.

I had both Saharah and Celeste last night in my town.

Back