• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The 5 best/most memorable games you wish others could play too.

MiniPocketWorld

🌺💦🏄💦🌺
Bells
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Flimsy Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Violet
Purple Violet
So, you met this person who has never seen nor experienced any video games at all in their life.
However, they have a magical machine that can play any game ever made and you would like this person to experience some of the "same" great experiences you have had with games you have played.

What 5 games would you recommend that they have to play? Share a little bit about why.

1. Pokemon Conquest

Super memorable Pokemon spin-off game that combines the elements of Pokemon and Nobunaga's Ambition. You lead your warriors and their Pokemon into battle to try and conquer other kingdoms, and there's an extensive post-game too.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles

The first game in this series is literally one of the best JRPGs ever made, with a captivating cast of characters, a heartwrenching and meaningful story, and a unique combat system. A guaranteed recommend for RPG fans.

3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

The best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game to date, it also has an interesting cast of characters, is fun to play, has a good story, and was well made for its time.

4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

One of the most recent and best Fire Emblem games, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a return to form for the Fire Emblem series, all while still adding new features and elements to the game. The amount of characters and routes is superb as well.

5. Ribbit King (the original for the GameCube)

A very fun game for its time. You use a mallet and frogs in order to try and get them over a course into a hole. It's basically golf, but with frogs. Recommended for all ages.

YEAHH LET'S GOO

1. Undertale. one of the most memorable and special games I have ever played with great humor and story and characters and it's so deep and it's honestly my Favorite video game of all time!!!! it holds a very special place to my heart

2. Everhood. its similar in a way to Undertale while also being super unique. the story is also very deep, the battles are really engaging and music based (sorta like guitar hero but you dodge the notes) and the visuals and characters are really interesting and different I highly recommend it

3. Your turn to die. very very interesting story, it's not finished yet but what has been released is extremely good. also a very unique take on using the rpg maker engine, with a visual novel style and puzzles, though this one is much darker and violent than most of the other games here

4. Ace attorney trilogy. GOD i cant recommend it enough, the plot and humor and characters are so memorable good!! figuring out everything can be hard but it's worth it!

5. Omori. another rpgmaker game, that appears cute but gets dark quick, highly recommend for people who enjoy rpgmaker games and horror games, the story is very good as well

1. Tetris
Very possibly my favorite game of all time. It's a classic and whenever I play it, I always end up wondering where the time went. It's a great way for me to destress because I can really zone out with this game.

2. Tekken
My favorite fighting game. Also, the game I was playing when I met my husband. It doesn't really matter for me which version since I've enjoyed them all. Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag are the most nostalgic for me, but I'd probably recommend anyone else to start with the newest iteration for the upgraded graphics and customization options.

3. Xenosaga
One of my favorite RPGs. I love the characters, their stories, and their fighting styles.

4. Super Mario Bros 3
I haven't played all of the Mario games, but of the ones I have played this was one of my favorites. I loved the addition of the map, the minigames, and the new power-ups/transformations. Particularly Tanuki and Frog Mario.

5. Animal Crossing
Obviously, I love Animal Crossing and I've spent a significant amount of time on this series. If I had to choose which iteration to recommend, I would either go with AC for the GameCube since that was my first and nothing quite beats it's quirky charm or New Leaf because I think it's the most well-rounded game in the series so far.

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Although somewhat dated, this was the best entry to the series in my opinion. The size, the music, the catalog was all just right. What a cozy, feel good game.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Action puzzler that also has an amazing score and doesn’t get too complicated. Great drama and really poignant. Very digestible for this genre and never a dull moment (you can skip fishing etc).

3. Skyrim
On the opposite end, a game that feels big and yet meaningful. You can immerse yourself in it through sights and sounds alone. You feel powerful, but not immortal. There’s much to do…

4. Super Mario 64
Platformers can lose scope, but I think each map is memorable and this game was so charming.

5. Final Fantasy X
A turn based game that is also beautiful and full of colorful characters. Each cinematic cutscene is a treat. The sphere grid leveling / character attribute system is more thought provoking than just investing points in different base stats. Also the most romantic (Not necessarily best) relationship in all the games I’ve played.

I didn’t leave room for a great puzzle game like Tetris or Picross, or even tactics or shooters, but I think you can get your fix for those outside of gaming, too (e.g., puzzles and chess and archery).
Not 100% analogous, but I had to cut down to my top 5. 😩

Oh man, this is a tough one! I picked my options based off giving them my favourites in specific genres so they could experience all types of different games.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
You probably saw this one coming. The music rocks, gameplay is super fun, and there's lots of stuff to do (racing, treasure hunting, shooting, kart racing (yuck though tbh lol), and the Chao Garden). Heck, you can spend hours in the Chao Garden alone.

Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Everyone needs to experience a Pokemon game. This one took the Hoenn region and brought it to life. The graphics are nice, world is fun to explore, music is catchy, and characters actually have life in them. importantly, it keeps the magic of the originals while making it modern and giving it new things.

Persona 5
More games need to be like this: excellent story, character development, voice acting, and gameplay. It's a super long game too so there's hours to put in here. I love the world they've created and it really makes you feel like you're there. I could just spend all my time socializing lol.

Animal Crossing Wild World
This isn't the most up to date Animal Crossing game but it has the most heart imo. If you want designer type games, go grab the Sims. This game is all about building a community and having bonds with your animal friends. They actually have interesting stuff to say and I absolutely adore the hourly music here.

Mario Kart Wii
Same thing with Pokemon where everyone needs to experience Mario Kart. This one has the best stages imo and I actually really liked the motion control. It made you feel like you were actually racing. Lots of fun to be had.

1. Rollercoaster Tycoon (Classic)
I remember playing this when I was really young, like 7 years old. And then coming back to it when I was around 11 or 12.. I would stay up late, chilling in the closet, playing Rollercoaster Tycoon on an old old old PC... It's a fun game, making rollercoasters, running a park, making the park look pretty, etc. The graphics have held up very well in my opinion despite being pixellated. I still play it every now and then on my iPad!

2. Fallout 3
My first Fallout game I ever played.. I started playing it in the summer when I was in college. Again, stayed up all night playing it -- and I actually paid attention to the story. I loved exploring the post-apocalyptic world while listening to real 50's/40's music (actually in the game), and fighting all kinds of mutants and creatures. My favorite part was discovering the vaults, and seeing what their messed up stories were. I also really loved Fallout 4.

3. Stardew Valley
I always feel like a hipster when I say this but I knew about SV before it got popular! In 2011 (right after I graduated high school) I remember seeing a video on Stardew Valley; it was still being developed but back then it looked so good that I never, ever forgot about it. Then I think 5 years later it finally came out, I was in my last year of college, and I spent literally all day playing the game. I always come back to SV. I love the music, I love the characters, and the story, and making a nice farm -- and a lot of money.. And I like that the game was made by just one guy. Very inspiring to me.

4. SMITE
This is kind of bittersweet. I no longer play SMITE and probably never will; but it was the first (and probably the last) MOBA I've ever played. I really liked all the different Gods and Goddesses in the game; my favorites were Medusa and Nu Wa. And while expensive, I loved all the different skins! I didn't play the typical MOBA mode; instead I would play Arena and Assault, mainly.. It was fun versing other people, and playing the game with my husband. The reason I stopped though was the toxicity; I was playing on PS4 and they eventually added full text chat, so things got extra toxic fast. RIP. I don't know why people get so salty over a video game (and it's not like I was playing ranked matches).

5. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Probably the game I remember most fondly out of any game! I've talked about it on here a lot before. I feel like I don't need to really expand on this. NL was my very first AC game; I knew nothing about the franchise (I was under the impression I could play as an animal, and I wanted to be the pink alpaca) and I looked forward to waking up in the morning, and finding out what was new in my town. I also loved taking the 3DS with me when i went walking around Savannah (where I lived at the time) and other people did the same, so my HHP plaza literally filled up with houses! It was so cool to see what other people's houses looked like, and being able to buy furniture that way. Then after a year or two I stopped playing, lost my OG cartridge, started over, and at that point no one carried around their 3DS with them anymore.. it was a sad discovery. But still, NL was so great. I love NH as well though!

1. Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS)
I LOVE NEW LEAF SO MUCH! I think everyone knows that and its been my favorite since 2013. It brings me so much joy and I still love playing it to this day! There are so many great things about New Leaf and I could never say everything!!
2. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
This was my first Pikmin game and one of my first games ever!! I LOVEEE it so much and play it all the time because its so addicting to try and get a better score and finish all fruits and a few days! The pikmins are so cute and the environments are pretty and I THINK THE TOUCH CONTROLS FOR THE GAMEPAD SCREEN ARE THE BEST AND SUPER FUN :)
3. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
I realized almost all of these are some of my first games! I enjoyed Super Paper Mario alot because there is so much to do even after the story. There are lots of cool secrets and collectibles and the different characters make it fun to replay because dialog changes!
4. Scribblenauts Unlimited (Wii U)
My mother bought me this for my birthday a few years ago and I expected to not like it but it actually became one of my favorite games after playing it! It lets you be creative and solve problems and I think its a great game for kids and adults!
5. Project Mirai 2 (3DS)
I had to put a Miku Project game on here! These Miku games are great no matter which you choose, DIVA, Mirai, or even the mobile Sekai but I like mirai because its on the 3DS and its using Nendoroid Vocaloids! It has great songs and they are longer so its harder to get full combos on the songs but its still fun! Tons to do and enjoy!
Sidenote one other game I loved was the original Dragon Quest Heroes bestie ps4!

In no special order, these are all the same special to me:

1. RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 and 2. (PC)

- Best instalments in the series, and if I would have clocked them back in the days without Steam I would easily have clocked way over 1000 hours. Great childhood nostalgia and 3 and further instalments never made the series justice.

2. Sea School (MS-DOS)

- Wonder why I list a baby educational game, on a floppy disk, here? Nostalgia. And it took me a good 20 years to find the game and its name after playing it very much as a child with my cousins. And it has a great deal of silly "cutscenes" and mini-games.

3. Sunset (PC/Steam)

- One of the best point-and-click games that has been created. Sadly it got way overshadowed by its clunky graphics, but the story and aesthetics are spot-on. You might need some interest in 1970s history/politics to fully enjoy it, but play it and you shall be rewarded.

4. Mario Kart 64. (N64)

- Easily the best instalment in this series, I had many fun times and laughters with this one. Quirky glitches, good difficulty and some of the best stages. I don't really get the hate for this one in particular but people always place this one far down their list of MK games if at all. Sadly.

5. Spyro: Season of Flame. (GBA)

- My favourite of the series, before it went downhill with A New Beginning. Colourful graphics, alright casual difficulty and some great stages, and bosses. Great GBA stuff.

Honourable mention to Year of the Dragon for being my first Spyro game, though I never really got to enjoy it cause it was definitely not a children's' games on PS1 lol.

1. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - I sank countless hours into this game. It is one of my favorite games of all time, beyond Skyrim. I just love it so much and wish I could re-experience it for the first time

2. Animal Crossing: Wild World - Another game I sank countless hours into, and I have some great memories of playing this installment of the series. This one is difficult to go back to after experiencing New Horizons, but for someone who’s never played an AC game before, I think it would be really fun for them.

3. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - One of my favorite Zelda games. I don’t really have any reasoning beyond it’s just a great game

4. Mass Effect 2 - Again, don’t really have reasoning beyond it’s a super fun, great game

5. Super Monkey Ball 2 - I was stuck between a couple choices for my 5th on this list, but I ultimately decided Super Monkey Ball because it’s such a unique game and one that I have so many great memories playing growing up.

I noticed my list is all games that are nostalgic for me, so even though playing them now is a different experience they are all games I have great memories of and wish I could play again for the first time!

I’d have trouble coming up with five, so here are my top three.

1. The Dog Island - Wii
This game is severely underrated in my opinion. For a game that is 90% side quests, it sure is a great game. The storyline tears at your heartstrings. I really stand by the soundtrack, too. If you like games where you play as animals, please trust me and give this game a try. I’d definitely replay it if I had a Wii.

2. Mario Kart Wii - Wii
This is more nostalgia for me than anything, but I invested so many hours into this game. I hacked with my small friend group and it was the first time I felt connected within the gaming community. Mario Kart is how I met my first online friends.
Racing was fun, but I honestly preferred battle mode.

3. My Sims - Wii
I’m strictly recommending the Wii version here. There is a DS version, and I’ve played both, but the handheld game doesn’t compare to the Wii version. This game has aged well despite being very old, and I honestly prefer it to Animal Crossing. I did at the time of playing it, and I think I still do.

1. Scribblenauts— Love how this game is full of puzzles and challenges you while also being cute and enjoyable.

2. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga— A classic GBA game that deserves all the love it got. Surprisingly good humor, memorable setting, and unique bosses.

3. Cooking Mama— This is nostalgic one for me, but it’s also fun and challenging! I also have Crafting Mama and Gardening Mama, but the original Cooking Mama is the best.

4. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped— My favorite game in the series, to be honest, and another nostalgia suggestion.

5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land— This may be a recent title, but I’ve really gotten into it. It’s cute, fun, and challenging— what’s not to love?

Spyro the Dragon (PS1)

Donkey Kong Country (Super Nintendo)

Disney’s Toontown Online (PC but closed, try Toontown Rewriten for the classic game or Toontown Corporate Clash for a change.)

Tomba! 2 Return of the Evil Swine (PS1)

A Bug’s Life (PS1)

1.) Pokémon Fire Red and Leaf Green
Perfect starting point to get someone interested in Pokémon.

2.) Super Mario Bros
A classic that is easy to play and understand.

3.) Kirby Star Allies
Another game easy to get the hang of and become a fan of the Kirby series

4.) Shantae (Nintendo Switch version)
Another game to introduce someone to the Shantae series. It’s a bit challenging but the dialogue is rather witty.

5.) Animal Crossing New Horizons
It’s relaxing and you can do whatever you want at your own pace.

5: Puyo POP Fever
A very fun and memorable match-4 puzzle game. The voice acting (Amitie's, Raffine's, and Accord's are highlights) is EXTREMELY well done, and I'm honestly sad this game hasn't gotten remade or remastered.

4: Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
My first PMD game, and a very fun one to boot! I'd recommend this one to new gamers and veterans alike, ESPECIALLY because of the twist ending (won't spoil it)!

3: Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
The first M&L game, and it is very fun! The dialogue is charming and witty, the characters are memorable, and the locales are well-designed. 10/10 would recommend.

2: Mario Strikers: Battle League
The newest entry in the Strikers series brings soccer together with fighting, and it works surprisingly well! I LOVE the game's gear mechanic, and the Hyper Strikes are beautifully animated.

1: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
This game is AMAZING. The worlds are beautiful, from the calm village of Breezegale, to the fun and puzzle-filled Forlock Forest, to the crystalline Moon Kingdom. The bosses are adorable yet menacing (lookin' at you, Rongo Lango!), and the music is STUNNING. Baladium's Drive, Vision 6-2, and Vision 1-1 are all highlights. The ending is on par with PMD endings in terms of sadness, and Klonoa's design is adorable. All in all, this is the game I would recommend the most (and I haven't even touched the sequel yet...)

Here are some great video games especially for "non-gamers!"
1. Minecraft. Who hasn't heard of it? It's beautifully cube-y and as simple or as complex as you want it to be. You can play any version you like, maybe the original 1.0 for simplicity, or 1.7-1.8 for combat style, or the latest for cool new features. It's fun to mindlessly farm, or go on hostile mob/animal hunting sprees in the beginning game, or even defeat the ender dragon. You can even feed pandas. What's not to love?

2. Fez. It's another cube-y game but it messes with your, well, head. You're a cube-y little guy named Gonzalez who has to save the universe from exploding by finding special crystal cubes. You find them by exploring the world. Best part is by moving the camera you can "change your perspective" which can help you reach difficult spots. Really interesting 3D game that's hard for me to explain but it's great. Go buy it.

3. Brave. Another indie game but it's so fun. Basically it's another save the princess game but you can turn back time. Soundtrack is wonderful too.

4. Animal Crossing. Honestly whichever game. Depends on that persons preference. They like coziness, interesting villagers and nostalgia, lead them to ACPG, ACWW. Enjoy traveling, quirky soundtrack, and niche roles for NPCs? ACCF. Want long term things to do, portability and relationships to build? Try ACNL. Beautiful graphics, kind neighbors, and an almost dictator-Esque control over those neighbors? ACNH is your thing.

5. Last but not least - you should try the original super mario bros game (like the one from 1985 or some time like that). It's just plain fun and if you want to get into gaming it's a classic

Welp that's pretty much it lol. These games are great once you get the hang of them even if the initial appeal isn't much. (Although I didn't really like smb when I played it first. I always died to goombas on 1-1. 🤣)

Back