Thank God for Sonic...

Tyler

Retired Staff
Bells
Cake
http://the-bell-tree.com/vg/articles/thank-god-for-sonic.php

Sonic has revolutionized our industry. End of Story. The original 2D games such as Sonic 1, Sonic and Knckles, and all of those other Sonic games were some of the best of it's time. Sonic was the fastest hedgehog on Earth, and still is. Why did Sonic ever go to 3D? I mean yea the 90s were revolutionizing the way we play games overall, but not every game is meant to be 3D and not all games are meant to be 2D. For example, will we ever see a 2D Halo? Obviously not since it's a first-person shooter.

Sonic started out as something respectable, a game where button smashing wasn't required, it was the D-Pad and a few buttons. You had to go around different stages by rushing as fast as you could to the end of the level, as the faster and more rings you collected, the higher your score at the end. On the way you had to collect different Chaos Emeralds, until you reached the final stage Act 7-1, where you than battled Dr. Robotnik and save the day.

In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, it was the same concept, same old Sonic trying to stop Robotnik from taking over the world, however Sega has Sonic meet his friend that will be with him for the next decade and beyond; Miles "Tails" Prower. So the game progresses and Sonic with the help of Tails save the day. Sonic 3 was the same thing, except it was 2 years later, and Knuckles was introduced for the 2-Player Mode. Sonic and Knuckles would be the last 2-D sonic for awhile, and things only went rye after this.

Sonic Adventure was the first 3D Sonic game to come out in 1998 in Japan, followed by the US release of 1999. I mean the game was pretty good overall, don't get me wrong; however there was one thing that drives me insane. All of the unnecessary characters that followed but I'll get to that later. Basically there are 7 Chaos Emeralds, and Dr. Robotnik has unleashed the Guardian of them "Chaos". Every time Chaos is near a Chaos Emerald, he will consume it until he gets to his ultimate for "Perfect Chaos". While that's all fine and dandy, why do we have to have so many characters? Was it to appeal to all the audiences? I really don't think so, as I don't think many people enjoy playing as an overweight cat with a pet frog.

Sonic Adventure 2 came out in 2001 and showed the world how Sonic doesn't go well with Rock music. It came out for the Gamecube as seeing Sega went to become a 3rd party company, and no longer supported the Dreamcast (unlike some guys in Japan). Also they added even more characters to the bunch that weren't anymore necessary. Seriously why did they even add them? While this wasn't the best game of the series, I must say this was the most story driven of them all, and revealed a lot about Dr. Robotnik's past.

I did loose hope in Sonic games in general and I hadn't purchased another one. Shadow the Hedgehog was a fail, as Sonic is a kid

So what do you guys think? I pmed it to Bul so hopefully it'll get on the site soon. I really hope this stirs up some good discussion. <3

tempgif2vb5.gif

I have to say, I agree with it. Though, I've played Rush, and it wasn't fun. Switching between two screens for a platformer isn't a good idea, you lose sense of control when you switch from one to another.

Odd, Sonic's theme is Live and Learn. So much for your hope.... ;_;

UltraByte said:
I have to say, I agree with it. Though, I've played Rush, and it wasn't fun. Switching between two screens for a platformer isn't a good idea, you lose sense of control when you switch from one to another.

I understand where you are coming at, it does get a little hectic, but in my mind that's what makes it fun. Sometimes the 2 screens does throw me off a little but hey, you get used to it after a while.

And Live and Learn is better than some of the other ones. :gyroidtongue:

Nice, nice I agree with you almost 100%, I actually liked Sonic Adventure 2 a lot, but the rock music just sucked.

OddCrazyMe said:
UltraByte said:

I understand where you are coming at, it does get a little hectic, but in my mind that's what makes it fun. Sometimes the 2 screens does throw me off a little but hey, you get used to it after a while.

You have to admit, the original Sonic Advance was AMAZING. though, no Sonic platformer can beat Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. <3

The instrumental songs (from in the levels of the games) are better than Live and Learn. Crush 40's singer is horrible. Though, I loooooove Julien-K (save This Machine, that song blows).

UltraByte said:
OddCrazyMe said:
UltraByte said:

You have to admit, the original Sonic Advance was AMAZING. though, no Sonic platformer can beat Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. <3

The instrumental songs (from in the levels of the games) are better than Live and Learn. Crush 40's singer is horrible. Though, I loooooove Julien-K (save This Machine, that song blows).
Agreed with you there, I still play Sonic and Knuckles on my PC. <3

@ I kinda meant live and learn the beginning before the lyrics came in D= forgot how bad they were...

Sonic+Rock= A Happy Tom

At least some of the rock anyway. And pretty decent for something I'd normally stop halfway at.

OddCrazyMe said:
UltraByte said:
OddCrazyMe said:
UltraByte said:

Agreed with you there, I still play Sonic and Knuckles on my PC. <3

@ I kinda meant live and learn the beginning before the lyrics came in D= forgot how bad they were...
Yes, I'd have to agree too, the riffs in that song are decent for a video game.

Back