• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

TBT 3.0 - Is Now Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Staff
Administrator
Site Owner
Bells
Island
Númenor
Golden Watering Can
Red Pansy
White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
Purple Violet
White Lily
TBT 3.0 - Coming March 13th Soon Is Now Here!

*New Update - March 21st 6:30 AM EDT*: Due to causing numerous delays and down times, we are postponing the update for now, as explained here. Thank you for being patient through all of this!
*Newest Update - April 3rd 2:00 AM EDT*: We have finished with the main part of the update! Expect more announcements over the next day. Please help us track any issues you may notice here

Hello everyone! We have some information this evening regarding our site update, called TBT 3.0. As announced last month, we will be moving to the XenForo forum software, which will allow us to update and add many features. This also includes a redesign of the forum, which we will show more of today.

Schedule

We will be going live with the update this Friday, March 13th in the next few days. This will gives us about a week for things to settle before New Horizons is released. We'll also have the weekend to continue working on the transition or delay it slightly if needed.

The forum's data will be converted incrementally, which means that we won't have much downtime on Friday. Instead, we'll start converting it this Tuesday and any new posts you make will be updated right before the switch is made.

One important thing to keep in mind over the next few weeks is that this transition will be a work in progress in many ways. Everything won't be running perfectly smooth right away and some things will need to be adjusted after Friday, many of them in the following week. Some may be longer. For example, the site's appearance will not change with the time of day at first, but we hope to get it finished within the first couple of weeks.

Appearance

Speaking of the site's appearance, let's take a look at what it will actually look like:

We start with the sky, which is now featuring clouds! But these might not always appear. The redesign will allow us to be even more creative with the characters, items, and environments we rotate in the banner.

The tree, grass, and wood patterns are also brand new and more detailed. The board icons are inspired by the new symbol from New Horizons.

The larger width allows us to add a sidebar, where we can feature polls, show new topics, and show other useful information. This sidebar will only appear on the main index of the forum. All other pages such as boards and threads will extend across the page as they do now.

Many aspects of the appearance are still being worked on and, like I mentioned, we will only be starting with the daytime version. More times and seasons are coming soon!

Collectibles

Collectibles are, of course, coming back. The shop system will even have some upgrades, while other parts of it may still be a work in progress.

One change that we wanted to announce ahead of time is that we will be going back to 2 rows of 5 collectibles. Since it was increased to 6, some people have mentioned that they prefer the original way. The new design also works much better with 5 per row, which is why we decided to go back to it.

While we understand that some lineups may be designed for the rows of 6, we think this looks less cluttered and more symmetrical with the rest of the user information. We have also been considering features to adjust these lineups, but this would not be until some time in the future.

It was previously mentioned that some forum add-on items like the avatar width extension will not be used on the new site due to the way the avatars work. Users who own this add-on will be compensated. Fortunately, we will be able to bring back the animated avatar add-on and it's even easier to use than before. You will no longer have to worry about resizing your image before uploading it. Other add-ons may not convert perfectly, so please be aware that they may not work right away and this is another thing that we will work on in the first week. We also have a few brand new add-ons planned that will be added to the shop in the future!

With our new shop system, we will also have a fancy new trading system. This will allow you to send an offer to a user, who can then update the trade with their side of the offer. Once both users agree the trade is completed. More information about this will be posted later in the week.

Overall, the shop and collectible interfaces will change a lot with a mix of great improvements and some elements that will continue to need adjustments.

Usernames and Usergroups

With the new design, a very small amount of the longest usernames may not fit properly or look odd. If this is true for you, we will offer a free username change.

Another change that we wanted to announce ahead of time is regarding our Sages group. As you may know, Sages are retired staff with green usernames. Throughout the years, this has caused some confusion for new members, who expect these users to be staff due to their colored names. This is why we will be removing the special color and the "Sage" name from the retired staff group ahead of the new game's release. We will be replacing it with a different way to signify their contributions as former staff members.

More Information to Come

Friday is not very far from now and a lot will be changing quickly. While it's exciting, it can also be a lot to adjust to, even for the forum staff. We hope you'll keep this in mind over the next few weeks as we transition to the new site ahead of New Horizons' release. Expect more information to be posted this week. Thank you![/B]

Last edited:
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where will I be able to access the new forums? Will I need to create a new account?
A: The new site will replace the current forums in the same place as always right here at https://www.belltreeforums.com/ on Friday. Your existing account will be transferred over and there will be no need to create a new one.

Q: Will my threads, posts, private messages, and collectibles be retained?
A: All of the content mentioned above and more will be transferred over to the new forums without loss. In the case that anything is mistakenly not transferred over, we will have backups to consult, so please do not worry about losing your posts, collectibles, or anything else.

Q: What about Blogs and Groups? You didn't mention those!
A: All of the existing blog posts from the Blog Tree on the current site will be transferred over to TBT 3.0 and made available for viewing in an archive board. They will be locked and new posting will not be allowed for those blogs. Separately, we are planning a dedicated 'blog' type board for Animal Crossing: New Horizons island journals.

Archival of content from groups is still to be determined and we will let you know soon for sure. We do not plan to bring them back outside of any archives though.

Q: What are some of the most exciting new features I can look forward to?
A: A better scaling layout for both larger screens and mobile devices, quote notifications, user mentions, a more modern design, better emoji support, improved image uploading, and new Shop / Collectible features are just some of the exciting new additions we can't wait for you to experience on TBT 3.0.

Q: Did you say new Shop / Collectible features? Like what?
A: A fully featured Trading system for transferring collectibles and bells beyond gifting will be one of the main highlights. There will be some handy improvements to managing your inventory too with collectible visuals, timestamp, and the gifter (if applicable) now displayed. We will be introducing some brand new add-ons in the near future as well. Overall, the TBT 3.0 update will allow us to update and improve on the Shop / Collectible features of the site far more easily and often than in the past.

Q: What about the existing Gifting feature? Can I still use that?
A: Yes, the collectible gifting feature on the current site will remain on TBT 3.0 as well for simpler trading.

This post is unfinished and will be filled up later with more answers to some of the most common questions asked in this thread that we can answer.

this month has been splendid so far. so excited to experience 5x2!

Last edited:
Q: What about Blogs and Groups? You didn't mention those!
A: All of the existing blog posts from the Blog Tree on the current site will be transferred over to TBT 3.0 and made available for viewing in an archive board. They will be locked and new posting will not be allowed for those blogs. Separately, we are planning a dedicated 'blog' type board for Animal Crossing: New Horizons island journals.

Bless ya for making a sub-forum dedicated to Animal Crossing Journals. The new forums are looking fantastic!

SO excited to see 5x2 again HYPE

I'm so excited! While I will miss this version of TBT I can't wait for 3.0 to come!

Ooh I love the new design, it looks so pretty and clean!

Def not psyched about going back to a 5x2 lineup, but everythin else looks really nice!

This looks great. Nice work everyone. I am very excited for the migration. What is the performance expectations of native site search? I presently use Google to find old content and am wondering if you will offer a native search or if Google will be substituting it?

It looks great! Can’t wait for this update. Hopefully my username isn’t too long, but if it is there’s a free username change so I guess it doesn’t really matter. :p

An additional question, will the mobile layout allow for user scaling (zooming)? I do this a lot so just wondering.

Last edited:
Also in case anyone is worried about 5x2, it’ll only take a little while to get used to the change!! Going from 5x2 to 6x2 was pretty shocking but now it feels so natural, so 5x2 will feel the same way very quickly

I find this change very interesting.

However, since we’re going back to 5x2 sidebars, I think my collectible quest is finished. I am happy with what collectibles I put into my sidebar.

I actually have a few questions so here's a list:

1) Would we see more teasers before friday?

2) What are the avatar sizes now?

3) What about a new horizons board, when will that be released? Is there gonna be one like the new leaf one? The category, is what i meant.

4) What about the refunds for avatar widths? Would we be getting refunds for mailboxes aswell?

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited for the changes! I actually wanted to make a big post in New Horizons about Nook Miles, but I might hold off a little to see if any formatting rules change. Can't wait to see what's new, and hopefully it goes smoothly for y'all to have more time to enjoy NH too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back