• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Super town decorators: What map layout do you prefer? *reset help needed*

lykkelille

Bells
And what criterias are you looking for/not wanting in a map?
Im gonna decorate my first town and reset for the right layout (im picky). Would really like some 0.2c and examples :) Thank you

Last edited:
I think it depends on how you play the game to be honest....A lot of people play differently and the layout reflects that.
When I pick a map, I generally don't care what my native fruit is because I'm just going to plant a majority of the fruits I want regardless. But some people care about the fruit, the grass patterns, and cosmetic things like that.
My only priority because of how I play is Re-Tail being near the pier so I can sell bugs from the island quickly.

This is my map right now:
tumblr_ognkjgXiHG1sw61bto1_1280.jpg

When resetting my second town I mainly looked for my town plaza to be in an area where I could surround it with bushes and trees. I also tried to avoid any slivers of land that would be really hard to landscape (outside of the little sliver on the top left that I use for my campground+police building). Just large areas of land. Oh and also try to only have 1-2 ponds in the layout (you will always have 1 by retail). if you want to go a step deeper you could check rock placements.

As for fruits, I refused to settle for pears. Ideal was apple or peach for me as they look the best with the perfect fruit imo

When resetting my second town I mainly looked for my town plaza to be in an area where I could surround it with bushes and trees. I also tried to avoid any slivers of land that would be really hard to landscape (outside of the little sliver on the top left that I use for my campground+police building). Just large areas of land. Oh and also try to only have 1-2 ponds in the layout (you will always have 1 by retail). if you want to go a step deeper you could check rock placements.

As for fruits, I refused to settle for pears. Ideal was apple or peach for me as they look the best with the perfect fruit imo

For me, not having too many ponds and a good river was a must. I have two small ponds in my town, not too many and not too little. Additionally, my river runs east to west with only a slight curve, which I find much easier to landscape and get around town with. Some of the town maps I've seen through island tours have rivers that are much too windy for me. Imagine how many bridges you'd have to build...

I also like that my gate, town hall, and event plaza are all relatively close together. A secret beach is nice, but I don't like it being too long.

My main town's layout is my pride and joy :)
Landia Map.jpg
It's symmetrical, with the town square right in the middle, which I LOVE. When choosing a map the most important things I look for are the shape of the river (where to put bridges), the placement of buildings in town (will it be annoying to run back and forth from re-tail? are all the buildings shoved in one corner, leaving a very aesthetically displeasing empty space?), ponds (I try to only have one so I have more PWP space), and potential spaces to put paths, character houses, and major PWPs. Sometimes the beach is make or break for me, I really like having two separate coastlines or a private section, but what works really depends on the rest of your map.

I don't care about much after that, unless the town has a lot of terribly placed rocks or the native fruit of a town I already have, since I like to trade between them.

I like towns that have a river divider and little amounts of small ponds :)

I think it depends on how you play the game to be honest....A lot of people play differently and the layout reflects that.
When I pick a map, I generally don't care what my native fruit is because I'm just going to plant a majority of the fruits I want regardless. But some people care about the fruit, the grass patterns, and cosmetic things like that.
My only priority because of how I play is Re-Tail being near the pier so I can sell bugs from the island quickly.

Just to take this post as reference: I care about native fruit just because of perfect fruit, since I only have other fruit trees for completeness. My personal favorites are probably apples, peaches and cherries, in that order, since perfect pears and oranges just look very plain.

This shows grass pattern by season, which can be important, mostly because of winter, since your default shape will change into a different shape. If you're going to have a town you keep in a certain time, for instance to have permanent cherry blossoms by keeping your town in April, it probably won't really matter to you.

Re-Tail is also a personal choice. Having it close to the beach definitely makes sense for selling bugs (I don't think I had thought of that when resetting), but you could also have it close to the train station if you plan to sell lots of turnips or invite people over to sell them, for instance.

Other things I care about are town plaza and town hall placement. My current map has a really nice town hall placement, and my previous map had the town plaza right in front of the town hall, which was a pretty awesome placement imo.

Also, make sure you have enough space for everything. I avoid small strips of land, since they're hard to landscape, and having permanent structures too close together, since that also gets in the way of landscaping. I think I avoided "secret" beaches you had to swim to, as well, since that sounds like too much of a hassle for me.

As for water, it really depends on what sort of person you are. I don't mind having a large river, but I don't want to have too many ponds since they're hard to landscape, especially if you have a ton of them. There are people who prefer smaller rivers, though, so they have more land to work with.

Additionally, I don't know how you plan your layout (or plan on planning), but I usually make an Excel sheet and map out the entire town, tile by tile, then start landscaping with that.

Part of the problem you might have, though, is that the update changed things. For instance, rocks can actually be used, so that might be something to figure into your planning - in a way, they might have gotten worse to work with, if you want to work with the fact that you can sit on them.

I look for no ponds, retail near the station, town hall and plaza aligned and circle grass mainly. The map for my 2nd town took me like 4 hours to find but I guess it's sorta worth it.

most people probably won't understand why i resetted for 10 hours but i just really wanted a very specific layout / cosmetic town features and i didn't want to "settle" this time because i always end up resetting when i do so.

for me, the grass shape and layout are what matter the most.
here was my criteria:
+ circle grass (no exceptions)
+ buildings in a row, but with space in between so i can put the police station and roost in that same row (no exception)
+ no rocks in annoying places, such as where i want to put my house or in-between shops
+ since i reset after the update, i also wanted the campgrounds to be in the same row with the rest
+ no more than 2 ponds, although i really like teardrop and lil 8 ponds so either no more than 2 or a TON
+ ANYTHING but pears i dont like pears in real life and imo they are the least pleasing lookin fruit !
+ shops in the lower half or middle of the map
things i want but will not reset for:
+ beach on the left
+ peaches specifically (i kind of did reset for these, but i would have been happy with the perfect layout + anything but pears)
+ blue train station roof
+ large wide areas of beach
+ villagers i don't dislike
+ villager houses in an interesting pattern or a straight line
here is what i ended up with:
attachment.php

Back