• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do ever follow a theme when creating towns?

eeveelovee

🔮 Pokémon Master 🔮
Bells
Island
Ashlar
Yellow Balloon
Pink Balloon
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Crystal Tree
I know a lot of people just like to play Animal Crossing willy nilly and just let things happen, and decorate as they receive items, however there are also a majority of us who follow specific themes and aesthetics, when designing and creating a new town.

For example, my first town ever, I didn't have a theme until I started playing regularly and saw inspiration online. Once I saw other towns online, I knew my town needed to be WITCH themed! I collected anything that looked witchy, and also kept my town in permanent autumn.

My second town, it was set permanently in the Cherry Blossom season, and is fairycore themed.

For my New Horizons island, it's themed as a Witch/Selkie island... a refuge for the Selkies of the ocean...I just wish there were more SEAL items!!

What about you? Do your towns stick to a theme?

Other than sometimes theming my house rooms, my towns don’t have a set theme.

My first town, Funland, is supposed to have a fairy-tale theme, complete with using fairy-tale themed public works projects.

My second town, Pastelia, was supposed to be a half-pastel, half-forest town, but after realizing how sick of pastel-themed towns I got, I ended up scrapping that idea, and I decided to just turn this town into a rustic-like forest instead.

My other town, Palmdale, doesn't have a theme.

No, but I wish I made themes for my towns. I tried following a forest/natural theme for my second New Leaf town but honestly I forgot about it later and some areas look more forest-y while others don’t.

Other than my house, my towns tend to not have a theme. The only thing I consistently do is keep my town set in the summer. I dislike the in-game snow and dislike it even more in real life, so I'd rather not see it.

My ACNL town will have a Valentine’s Day theme/color scheme along with some fairytale items. 🍫🤎🤍💖❤️🌹 Decided to name it Utopia again ^.^

My ACNH island will also have a Valentine’s Day theme along with a cherry blossom theme as well, hence its name, Sakura. 💖💕🌹🌸

I like to make my villages rustic and natural. 🍃 I never liked towns that have trees and flowers all categorized in perfect acres and neat rows. I don't like towns with an immense amount of furniture sprawled throughout for the sake of aesthetic -- often times you can't even walk around freely! 🤯 I let some weeds grow here and there. I plant trees sporadically. Even in my homes I'll scatter a book or a stationary randomly on the floor. Those are the little details that bring out the beauty in a themed interior or lush garden to me.

Nah, my towns don't have a theme. I never really know what I want and they end up a mess. Ironically my 3rd New Leaf town, named Snowdin after the town in Undertale, doesn't have anything to do with Undertale. Has a lot more to do with Splatoon... (I actually wanted to name it Inkopolis but that was too long.)
Most of my towns end up being a mess of whatever I like or simply acquired and wasn't sure what to do with. I also never finish them. There's always something wrong such as items dropped everywhere after losing all motivation to earn bells, which makes the lack of a clear theme even worse.

Nope! I like to let my towns happen naturally.

I used to work with themes to a T, but it actually took from the enjoyment of the experience. I wanted that blissful, carefree playing I had in City Folk.

Plus, when I just do whatever I want to do, it's easier to create proper memories while playing. Planning every detail makes this harder- and when mishaps happen, it's more annoying than interesting. Not always, but it can!

Yeah, I've started making season-themed towns over the past few years - my New Leaf town is an Autumn forest, and my New Horizons island is a Spring English garden. I've even already decided for my town in the next game to be a gothic Winter kingdom!

Not yet, but I want to at some point! I feel like it'd need to be on a second save file or copy of the game though; I don't like to restrict myself experiencing a new AC game past "do I like this or not". I feel like I wouldn't enjoy playing as much if I looked at some furniture item or villager I really, really liked and had to pass up on it because it wouldn't fit with my theme.
But as long as I'm getting to enjoy all that stuff on a main file, I think having a theme would be a must for additional playthroughs. Otherwise I'd probably just wind up doing the same stuff twice with minor changes and then getting bored with it 😅

In the Wild World/City Folk days, I thought of doing a city, but they didn’t really work out since all you had to work with was a road path, so instead I just had good looking towns.
In New Leaf, I didn’t think I’d give myself a theme and had a good looking neighborhood to walk around town with. Looking at it now I can see the theme as a parkcore.
Now in New Horizons I originally went with an elegantcore, but it didn’t work out, so I stayed themeless for two years until Fall 2022 where I thought I’d try the city theme I had when I was a kid incorporated into New Horizons. It’s not finished yet but what I have so far looks amazing, I’d love to see the finished results when I am officially done.

I am trying to create a zen themed town. It is called Edo. My dreamie permas are Asian inspired villagers like Drago and Tiansheng. My NL town was mythical villager inspired so I used many villagers such as Drago(again), Phoebe and Hans.

For NL and previous series, I've never had an established theme and sort of just stuck to a random forest. I was much more into the interior decorating.

Then for NH, it was my first time working with a defined theme/story and I really enjoyed creating a roadmap for my island. It helped me be organized and not feel overwhelmed at all. I think moving forward with future releases, I will stick to the themes because I find it more fun to decorate that way.

Back