• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 12)

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Snowflake Glow Wand
Festive Bell
Friday the 13th Candy
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
In case if you're wondering why I have been blogging so quickly, it's because there's nothing else to do besides participate in the TBT Fair. Also, I wanted to finish the series of SM64 remake suggestions before the fair ends. I hope you're enjoying my remake suggestions for SM64, because the next one is on DK64. I decided to not post remake suggestions for Ocarina of Time because of how the 3DS remake was good enough, even if the worlds were too small, the Biggoron's sword was more powerful than the Master Sword when the Master Sword was supposed to be more powerful, there were no camera controls in third-person view, and the ocarina songs were too repetitive (half of them are just three notes repeated). But yes, Donkey Kong 64 comes in next.

Bowser in the Sky:

This is the ultimate stage of the game. The platforming elements are more complicated than in the previous Bowser stages and the final boss battle was exciting in comparison to the rest of the game. But this level needs updating too.

1. Replace soundtrack with Bowser's Galaxy Reactor soundtrack - at this point, the traditional Bowser stage music before facing Bowser becomes stale and not as worth listening to. It was good for Bowser in the Dark World and Bowser in the Fire Sea, but not this one. A better fitting music for it (since it's in the sky) would be the same soundtrack from the final Bowser stage in Super Mario Galaxy. It sounds rather unnecessary, but these suggestions are only my opinions on how to make the game better, not what's best to the community. If you can come up with your SM64 remake suggestions, I would be glad to see it.
  2. Add long jump gaps on both sides of the rotating island - when you get to the rotating island like seen in Rainbow Ride, I prefer to add two gaps that require using the long jump. It's to add more platforming to the game.
  3. Add more see-saws to the first ferris wheel contraption - one just doesn't appear to be enough. Remember, one is the lonliest number.
  4. Add another ferris wheel contraption near the first one - the way I'm sounding like is that I like another that takes you up. Then it takes you straight.
  5. Add a platform ride to the convertable stair obstacle - nuff said. Move on.
  6. Remove the walk-up ramps and replace them with moving obstacles - I would like to see both of them gone. To be honest, they are cheap obstacles that seemed rushed. Who cares if there are more enemies or not. If you're going up, you have to jump or climb a pole, not walk.
  7. Widen the gap between the two pushers near the pole - to make it bigger and longer (and more challenging), I would suggest making the gap wider, and so are the pop-out walkways you have to go on.
  8. Add a roller and a spinner - the roller sounds like my favorite obstacle judging by the remake suggestions. The other one is basically a revolving contraption like the spinning islands, except that they are two different squares or a long rectangle that turns around.
  9. Make Bowser defeatable by five mines - this time, Bowser needs to take five hits to be defeated. It's the way to make it harder and more challenging after all these years it has became simple by today's standards.

Comments on other levels/missions:

And that's all for the main levels. So what is left to talk about in terms of remaking the game? There are 15 other stars left to go through. Of these 15 stars, three of them require collecting red coins from the Bowser stages, three of them are in the switch levels where you can unlock a new cap, three of them are awarded by the toads, two are from the same rabbit you can catch in the basement, two come from the same slide, and the other two are the separate red coin missions. Here are some improvements to go over.

1. The stars you can get from the toads are fine. They are like some of the shine sprites in Delfino Plaza from Super Mario Sunshine.
  2. Instead of chasing the rabbit, how about the rabbit creates challenges for Mario where if he can complete a challenge, he can get a secret star. One is a speed challenge, one is a survival challenge (where he has only one hit point), and one is a coin hoard challenge.
  3. While I suggesting adding a new star, the star you can get for beating the slide race in less than 21 seconds should be removed to avoid repetition.
  4. This time, the castle slide doesn't need to be any longer. It's safe the way it is.
  5. The swimming one is also safe.
  6. If you fail in Wing Mario over the Rainbow, I would prefer if he ends up in the same room in Peach's castle as the Tick-Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride levels are. Landing outside in front of Peach's castle for failing makes this challenge even more frustrating, and aside to the game aging poorly and the camera, this is the biggest flaw with the game.
  7. The red coin missions in the Bowser stages and states with unlockable hats are fine.

Coming up next...Peach's Castle improvements.

Regarding your comment on OOT, I figured they made the Ocarina songs so short because they would be easier to remember and they would take up less gameplay time. And I probably won't be able to go over your review for DK64 because I have never played and experienced it. You won't have to worry about me shooting you down anymore. :)

But now, about Bowser in the Sky...

1. They're probably not going to reuse music from an older game like SMG, but they could do a remix of Koopa's Road that includes elements of Bowser's Galaxy Reactor. Also, I think it's funny that for SMG2, the final level is called Bowser's Galaxy Generator. Seems kinda lazy.

2. That would be good if the platforms didn't spin so quickly. You would have to time the long jump just right so you don't fall down. It would be okay if, maybe, there was a platform underneath to cach you?

3. Yeah, I suppose it could be like Bowser in the Dark Workd, but it's not necessary.

4. Again, it could be like later in the level.

5. Eh.... I never liked that thing to begin with.

6. I actually played this level the other day and laughed at how you can climb an 80° slope in Bowser in thr Sky but you can't climb up a 45° hill in Bob-omb Battlefield.

7. That's a good idea.

8. Where would they go?

9. The tradition is that it takes 3 hits to hit the boss. I suppose if they bumped it up to 3 in Bowser in the Fire Sea and then to five or six, it would be okay. I said six because in a way making 5 hits pokes at my OCD. They should make the last three hits really interesting.

I only have like 9 castle secret stars. I tried to get the red coin star in Bowser in the Sky and when I missed two I just went outside to ride my skateboard... ^^"

1. Yeah. I don't know the purpose of a shine sprite, but if you get them from talking to a toad in distress then yes, they are the same thing.

2. That's not a bad idea. Either that or they should make the rabbit easier to catch. I like yours more.

3. They should let you have a race with the Princess at the end of the game or something. I think that woukd be funny.

4. Yes.

5. I love that level for the Water Land music...

6. Yeah because then you gotta walk all the way back up the spiral stairs and then all the way up the normal staircase and then all the way back into the area where the level is. They should add a sunroof in that area of the castle or something.

7. Yeah but I don't like having unlockable players. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing as Wario, but I thought it was frustrating how each person had a specific power up (ex. you have to play as Luigi to use the vanish cap). I liked it more when you just had one playable character.

You know what? They should add two-player mode! Or maybe even four-player mode! They were going to do 2-player mode with SM64 2 on the N64DD but the system failed...

Back