• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Stupid annoying hacker

honey_maple

Bells
I just started going to Club Tortimer every night for like a week or a little over. So far, I've just met nice people, and exchanged a few fcs with different people. Most of the hackers I've run into have just been either nice, do cool stuff, or give away rare items. However, just early this morning, had my first bad experience with one.
First thing he did when I got there was change my hair & eyes, stole my hat and glasses. I quickly left stupidly thinking maybe it wasn't permanent, but to my horror, it indeed was permanent and my character was still like that upon arriving back at my town. I went back the islands, ran into the same hacker and got very pissed and cursed at him to give me my stuff back. (I probably got a little madder than I should've, but I had just got said hat, Cinamoroll hat, the same day & my glasses were from GracieGrace and currently not in season). He did restore both of my items, but then proceeded to control me and the other girl there, forcing me to perform various animations. He wouldn't change my hair and eyes back correctly, so I just said I was going to go leave and sort it myself. I went into the lobby and tried to leave, but he did something else and I was stuck in some weird limbo between him still controlling me and me trying to leave. Thankfully, I was still able to move around, so I just went back into the lobby and I was *FINALLY* able to leave. I am still very pissed this even happened and I felt violated. I'm afraid of running into him again bc I didn't get a chance to block him and am too afraid to hang around too long if I do run into him again.

Just beware if any of you ever do run into a hacker called L.A. Jonny, he does not listen when you tell him to stop and someone I consider a griefer. And to people who do this kind of ****: IT'S NOT FUNNY AND YOU NEED TO ****ING STOP IT!!! WHEN SOMEONE TELLS YOU TO STOP AND LET THEM LEAVE, LET THEM ****ING GO!!

Its really no longer safe to go to Tortimer's Island. I would hope you don't go anymore to avoid these types of interactions. I recently made a post warning this!

I'm starting to notice that, too. There was one hacker that tried ruining my inventory with junk data items called "boo". They would appear any time I removed any time of clothing. Luckily none of the items corrupted my save, but I don't think I ever plan on going back to the island. It just really sucks because I was hoping to find actual legit players to just fish and play mini games.

Man that really sucks, hackers ruining everything, I can't even play for the first time anymore seeing as I just got into new leaf. Guess I won't be wasting those 40 or 50 medals though :/

Club Tortimer definitely sounds a lot worse lately. It wasn't this bad when I went there in 2019-2020 but there were still hackers at that time. I'm probably never going back there now.

This is the second thing I read about this happening. That's actually really scary so looks like I'm staying off the island.

that's such a shame that they would rather attempt to ruin peoples saves instead of working on their own or doing something better. I assume you dont plan on going to the island for a while, if at all, but if you run into a hacker trying to do something negative, try and force an error (there will be switch, with a yellow-flickering light on the side of your console, turn it off momentarily and it will "error")

When you error, a ressetti image pops up, because what you have done is basically "left without saving" in other words, as long as no one saved on the island by leaving/joining/touring, it should be like anything that happened on the island never happened at all, loosing everything that happened on the island whether it be bells, items, or even facial features they attempted to exchange on your face.

I'm not a hacker myself so I'm not certain, but they shouldn't be able to bypass the error as it litteraly just deletes all your progress from untill your last save, so as long as they didnt force a save, it should be back to normal

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you go to the island without any items or wearing anything important if you'll be safe?

Does anyone know if you go to the island without any items or wearing anything important if you'll be safe?
Hackers have the ability to take anything away from your inventory, glitch catalogs, your home storage, public works projects, encyclopedia, change your hair, name, town creation date and pretty much everything now.

that's such a shame that they would rather attempt to ruin peoples saves instead of working on their own or doing something better. I assume you dont plan on going to the island for a while, if at all, but if you run into a hacker trying to do something negative, try and force an error (there will be switch, with a yellow-flickering light on the side of your console, turn it off momentarily and it will "error")

When you error, a ressetti image pops up, because what you have done is basically "left without saving" in other words, as long as no one saved on the island by leaving/joining/touring, it should be like anything that happened on the island never happened at all, loosing everything that happened on the island whether it be bells, items, or even facial features they attempted to exchange on your face.

I'm not a hacker myself so I'm not certain, but they shouldn't be able to bypass the error as it litteraly just deletes all your progress from untill your last save, so as long as they didnt force a save, it should be back to normal ^_^
Its sad because I believe only certain systems have the yellow light as my small new 3DS only lets you turn that off in the home menu, which is blocked when on the island 😢, I know my main, old XL system has the light, that trick works really well to disable unwanted communication.

Look, I understand it's frustrating that you get hacked. I mean, Tortimer's Island is not bad. It's Club Tortimer you have to worry about. I use Tortimer's Island for the medal badge because this is the only way you can do this alone.

What frustrates me is these hackers are ruining it for all the innocent people who want to play online. So if the internet is permanently off for the hackers, now everyone, including those who've done nothing wrong gets punished too. Some games can't be completed without the internet. Even though medals badge needs no internet, players need the Dream Suite. Good going, those who wreck lives.

It's really obnoxious that this kind of thing is going on, and even more frustrating that Nintendo doesn't do anything about it. It's the same in the 3DS Pokemon games; you can't even browse the GTS anymore without hacked Pokemon freezing your system. I'm just glad that I got the Club Tortimer exclusive hot tub in the past, but that doesn't help any poor person starting a new game. It's such a shame. Online/co-op exclusive items will always leave a bad taste in my mouth for this very reason. Some day this content will no longer be available without action replay or something like that.

I know that there was a system update for the 3DS not long ago that was supposed to stop hackers from altering their consoles. I have no idea if this will stop any of these malicious hackers from messing with innocent New Leaf players, but I'm not exactly in any rush to go to Club Tortimer and find out...

Back