• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Sticking with a game until you finish it

Autumn247

Bells
Switch
5508-2335-7117
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Gastly Halloweaster Egg
Red Christmas Stocking
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Cocotryoshka
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Tasty Cake
Matryoshka Doll
Mint
Does anyone else have trouble sticking w/ a game until they finish it? It's not that I never finish games, it's just that I have so many games that I keep jumping around from game to game because I want to play them all and have a hard time picking and sticking w/ just one till I'm finished

i don't have this issue and i feel its because i like to focus on a single game at any time, maybe 2 to 3 at max. that way i dont feel overwhelmed with games to progress in and can divide decent amounts of time to each one i'm playing

Depends on how you define "finish." In most cases, it's not difficult for me to stick with a game until I finish the main story, but I rarely go back for collectables or anything. I used to do that, but it's just not worth my time anymore.

I’ve struggled with that for as long as I’ve played games. Unless a game really hooks me I typically quit playing partway through. Even when I was a kid I often gave up on games that either lost my interest or were too difficult. The solution was tracking my gaming habits. By logging every game I beat I had an incentive to finish whatever I was playing. In just two years I went from beating 5 games a year to 20.

I don't finish some of the games I play. But I'm not bothered by that fact. (Is it weird? 😅 )

With most of the games, I'd play enough to know whether I will enjoy playing it to the end or not. If the gameplay isn't engaging or if I find the difficulty level too high or too low or if it makes me nauseous after a while (I do steer clear of FPS games now), then I'm usually done with the game after 3 or so hours. I don't see the point of pushing myself for days to finish the game when I don't have fun with it. On the other hand, I've spent hundreds of hours on games that completely enthralled me. With multiple playthroughs and/or mods, I've spent over 1,000 hours on games like Divinity: Original Sin 2, Don't Starve and Stardew.

I guess it depends on what your objective is in playing a game. To beat it or to enjoy it. (Of course, you can enjoy beating it too!) For me, enjoyment comes first. I'm not an achievement hunter and I don't feel I must finish or beat every game I play.

The games I typically play can’t be beaten. I play sports games which don’t really have an ending and they’re just for fun. I played a few Mario games when I was younger, but I would stop for a bit and go to playing sports games, and then go back. It would be considered taking a break to me. I don’t really see an issue with taking breaks from a certain game. You’re not obligated to play only one game until you beat it. I think enjoyment is so much better than beating games. I enjoy games that are less competitive. Says the person that loves sports games, but I play for fun. I don’t mind losing in a game.

ive been quitting games half way through recently. i did it with botw, and now with hollow knight. these are fantastic games, i just cant seem to consistently play them, more like picking up and dropping them through out the year
Post automatically merged:

endless games like acnh, or online shooters, i tend to keep coming back to more easily

with these though, there are still ridiculously long breaks ill take from them

I’ve struggled with that for as long as I’ve played games. Unless a game really hooks me I typically quit playing partway through. Even when I was a kid I often gave up on games that either lost my interest or were too difficult. The solution was tracking my gaming habits. By logging every game I beat I had an incentive to finish whatever I was playing. In just two years I went from beating 5 games a year to 20.

I’ll have to give tracking games I beat a try! Thanks :)

In a way, I suppose. I'm typically playing through a few different games at the same time, just because what I want to play depends on my mood. Within a series, though, I just play one title at a time until I'm finished—so I guess it's less that I pick one and stick to it, and more like I pick a few and stick to them. Right now I'm mostly through both Dragon Quest XI S and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team, for example. I think it actually helps me to have a couple of options to switch between.

There's definitely some games that I don't worry about beating at all, too, either because I'm only interested in a certain aspect, or it's a life-sim style game (like AC, or Rune Factory 4 Special) and completing it isn't the focus for me. Or if I just lose interest in a game altogether, of course. Then there's also games I just play casually, like Minecraft Dungeons or Happy Home Designer, where I'm in no rush to finish them. I won't always play every route in an otome game, either—sometimes I will if I really like the story, or just want to see more of the characters, but other times I just play the routes that interest me.

There are classic games I keep replaying like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong Country (1 and 2), and sometimes Kingdom Hearts 2. They hold a special place in my heart and whenever I got bored with playing the same game that burns me out I switch to one of these games to give me the motivation to keep playing again.

Most games I don't finish are usually puzzle games or those ones where its like they expect you to figure out what you're supposed to do. This maybe shocking but I never finished Breath of the Wild. I got so lost in the game because I had trouble figuring out what you're supposed to do and I gave up around 2019 which was the last I played.

The other game was Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. As a DK fan something about this game didn't give me the same joy when I played the classic DKC games and I just wasn't that thrilled in it so I just stopped playing it. Maybe I will give it another shot, but I don't know when though.

The way I see it is as long as you are having fun, it doesn't really matter how you decide to play games :) I tend to stick to only playing a few games at a times and making small goals for myself to do when I next come back to the game. Some games, like most mobile games, even force you to not be able to rush things too much unless you invest a lot of money and other games like AC:NH and Pokemon have events that entice players to drop in and out as they have an increased limited time chance to encounter exclusive items that may not be possible or as worth it to go after outside of the event.

The only times it may matter how long it takes a person to finish a game is when he/she has decided to do a Let's Play for a Youtube channel or if he/she was planning to write a review for the game as part of a job or personal website.

Depends on how you define "finish." In most cases, it's not difficult for me to stick with a game until I finish the main story, but I rarely go back for collectables or anything. I used to do that, but it's just not worth my time anymore.
I agree with this.

I used to think 100%ing a game was important and would go back to find everything and unlock every little collectible but now I just focus on finishing the main story and any other aspect I find fun/interesting. To me, getting everything perfect and high rank just isn't important and isn't a good use of my time.

funny you ask. i used to jump from game to game a lot as a kid, often giving up on a game when it gets to a part i find difficult and then restarting it from the beginning later on. rinse and repeat.

lately, i've been trying to force myself to focus on a few games at a time, and actually play them through to the end. i've recently managed to beat professor layton and the curious village and rn am mostly focusing on dk64 and paper mario 64.

with that said, though, paper mario in particular is becoming an incredibly frustrating game to try and get through. save points often feel too spread out, it's difficult to try and use health items sparingly and random encounters can get really cheap and all it takes is one bad turn with half health for you to get a bs game over and get thrown back to the title screen. i've been tempted to restart super mario sunshine and play that to the end and i want to wait until i beat pm64 to do so but i'm honestly so tempted to just drop paper mario at this point b/c of how infuriating the game can get.

It really depends the game. There are some I have finished before starting others, and on the other hand there are plenty I have not stuck with but instead revisited later (Including many I have on the go now!). Even my favourite game series, when I replay it I'll sometimes leave the play through for months even before picking it up again. Particularly if its a newly released game I'll stick to it just so that I can avoid spoilers (I intend to do that with the upcoming life is strange!)

As for 100% completion, I don't think I could ever stick with one game until its done to 100. I like revisiting finished games every now and again to work towards my final goals.

Sometimes. If it starts getting boring I’ll usually drop it for several months. I’ve had Final Fantasy 7, Hollow Knight, and OKAMI rotting in my switch library for months now.

I only have trouble sticking with a game if I'm not enjoying it 100%.

I'll otherwise play just one game through to the end before moving onto something else. I'll have a multiplayer game on the side to play with my partner, but they're very rarely something that isn't a 'pick up and play' type game.

Currently playing Monster Hunter Stories 2. I also bought No More Heroes on sale a few weeks ago and really want to play it...But I'm still enjoying MHS2 so it'll have to wait. Deep Rock Galactic on the side.

On the other hand I was playing Bravely Default and dropped it like a hot turd when MHS2 came because I wasn't really enjoying it fully (Ringabel is the absolute worst thing ever). I'm very unlikely to return to Bravely Default and if I do, I'll probably drop it again the moment something more fun looking comes along.

I have always had this problem. I have always skipped around and played multiple games at once. The one exception would be when I would get a new kingdom hearts game. At that point everything would be on hold until I finished. Right now I am going between five games mostly because I have a lack of time. I have so many games and like you want to play them all. So right now it’s between :

Animal crossing new horizons
Zelda Breath of the wild
Hyrule warriors: age of calamity
Pokémon Snap
Sonic Mania

I also have Zelda Skyward sword that I really want to start.

Yeah I tend to bounce between different games depending on what I feel like at the time. I played FE3H, BOTW, and ACNH at the same time at one point. Now I am still trying to complete the SDV main story (the community center) and play other games at the same time. I am a casual gamer so I'm not super serious about doing every last thing in a game, I just like to enjoy playing for short periods of time and then coming back to it later.

It's less about having too many games to play and more general interest for me. I sometimes find myself disengaged partway through a game and see no value in forcing myself to complete it if I'm not enjoying it or it starts to feel like more of a chore to play. That or there will be another game that catches my attention more at the time, but that's not really a bad thing.

While I like achievement systems, I don't chain myself to them so they've never been a reason for me to complete every game I start.

Other times the game clicks right away for me and I'm always itching for the opportunity to play it and progress (Diablo 2, SMT/Fire Emblem, Rune Factory, Danganronpa, Radiant Historia, and Final Fantasy spin-offs are great examples of this.)

It depends on the game in question, stuff happening in regular life, and my level of interest.

I'd say I generally don't have an issue sticking with and finishing most games. Usually, if I stop playing something, it's because something happened in life to pull my attention away from the game. That or I just didn't like the game.

That said, I have a tendency to hyperfixate on things I'm engaged in and that's a bit of a double-edged sword. While this generally translates to me being interested enough to see games through to completion in their initial playthrough, sometimes a new game from a franchise I really like will release and pull my hyperfixation in that new direction. Could be something entirely unrelated to games too, maybe a movie or books or whatever else. Even then, I'll still go back and complete the game I dropped...most of the time. The only exceptions that come to mind are ridiculously large, open-ended open world games like Skyrim and New Vegas. I've never completed the main stories of either of those games, though I had no problems completing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Fallout 3 back in the day.

As long as I'm sufficiently enjoying a game, I do tend to complete them, whether it's all in one go or broken up by matter of circumstance.

Back