Cyan Heart Balloon
Purple Heart Balloon
Pink Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
Green Star Fragment
Blue Star Fragment
Purple Star Fragment
Available on Steam, Xbox, PS4, and Nintendo Switch

So I saw this article Why Animal Crossing & Stardew Valley Fans Should Play Spiritfarer on my phone and a few people in TBT discord have asked me about Spiritfarer and was wondering if anyone else is playing and what people make it. Spoilers should be in spoiler tags!

So I have about 350 hours in Stardew Valley and over 700 in New Horizons, Spiritfarer is more like Stardew Valley than New Horizons so far. I've only played Spiritfarer for a couple of hours. You have in game days and you can only interact with the spirits on your boat when they are awake and can only move your boat at night. It's a lot mini games and platforming. You have to keep the spirits happy by interacting and feeding them. You get to hug them and it's the cutest thing ever and I wish you can hug them all the time. They have story quests that you complete and eventually they'll leave for the afterlife.

You can play it however you like. You can take the time to explore and gather a lot of resources or you can try to do the side quests as much as possible. There's no real grinding if you can keep up with fishing and farming to keep your spirits fed and they only eat once a day. I've been taking it slow and playing a couple game days at a time.

The character designs are amazing and the dialogue is great. It's platformer like in some parts but only for short periods of time. There's no fighting so far and I don't think there will be.

As you add structures to you boats, you are free to move them around but you can't tear them down. You sell treasures and gather materials to upgrade to a bigger boat or more structures. It looks like there's a decorating section that I haven't unlocked yet.

One of the characters tells a shop keeper than people like him are the reason why we have middle fingers.

Last edited:
I sorta wish I'd gotten an additional eShop card to buy this one since I totally forgot someone on-site had mentioned it would be released soon. And then the Indie Showcase happened. . .my partner was like "oh yeah I think you'd like this game."

So, instead of Spiritfarer I got Raji: An Ancient Epic for the Switch. I feel like I'd play Spiritfarer more on PC though based on how the setup/gameplay is. It's good to know you haven't encountered any fighting thus far, as it seemed like the game wouldn't take that direction plot-wise.

Your review has further convinced me that I'd enjoy this game. {:

I've really been looking forward to this game but I was waiting for more reviews before making a decision. I definitely want to get it but I can't decide if I'd rather get it for Switch or PC. Any thoughts? I'm really indecisive with games that are available on both since I never know which will be more comfortable to play.

I've really been looking forward to this game but I was waiting for more reviews before making a decision. I definitely want to get it but I can't decide if I'd rather get it for Switch or PC. Any thoughts? I'm really indecisive with games that are available on both since I never know which will be more comfortable to play.

Disclaimer: I'm kinda uncoordinated on both controllers and keyboard when it comes to games so it takes me time to remember the controls.

I played it on the Xbox game pass on PC with the keyboard at first and then with my PS4 controller plugged in. It's fine on both for the most part. Falling though platforms is weird on both and I'm terrible at it. It is either the same buttons or buttons next to each other for falling through a platform and entering a building and it's kinda annoying.

I think it's more important to thinking about when and where you are going to play and for how long. If it's for short bursts like an hour or two, I would probably just play on my computer before switching gears to something else. It's a great game to play on the go because you can just save on the middle of the day unlike Stardew Valley if you have a switch lite.

Ah, thanks. Playing on the go is the main reason why I'd get it on Switch so I might do that. I'm fine with both keyboards and controllers so it's not a big deal for me, I just worry about the Joycons not being as comfortable to use (if that makes sense).

Saw the other day the trailer for it on YouTube, such a lovely looking game. I plan to get it for the Switch one day.

I've had an amazing time with this game so far, it has an incredible amount of things you can do, gets you attached to the characters, and a great atmosphere.

Back