• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.

So, which game do you think has more content now? New Leaf or New Horizons?

When you include the DLC, I can't think of anything that new leaf has, that new horizons does not have. (And don't say a bigger shop, as we now have multiple shops. It all being in 1 building doesn't change anything)

I can think of a few things.

1. Club LOL (I miss that way of getting reactions)

2. Some kind of stage for K.K. (I know this is minor but it still feels like he got downgraded after New Leaf for no explicit reason)

3. In-game videogames (Though, I never did play Desert Island Escape, I hear it was still a fun way to escape from the hustle and bustle of the Animal Crossing world).

4. Unbreakable gold tools (Makes them feel much less special. I'm just going to resort to keep using the "lower quality" tools at this point)

5. Club Tortimer I think is very much underrated. Playing small timed events with friends or random strangers was awesome.

6. Streetpass functionality or some way of buying furniture found in other user's houses (This was a great alternative for users who did not wish to travel to buy out-of-season furniture without needing to wait for that season to come. Now, with New Horizons I can see even greater demand for this kind of feature as there are so many different color variations of items that are really hard to find on your own island).

...just to name a few.

I still think NH is the better game but it would've been nice if at least a few of the missing features from New Leaf I mentioned were implemented.

Last edited:
Yeah but the reactions part has been repurposed.
And the club part has too.
So both functions of it are in the game. Just not in the building.
2. Some kind of stage for K.K. (I know this is minor but it still feels like he got downgraded after New Leaf for no explicit reason)
I would have liked him to have a stage in the cafe because he kinda blocks the doorway lol but it really is a tiny thing.

3. In-game videogames (Though, I never did play Desert Island Escape, I hear it was still a fun way to escape from the hustle and bustle of the Animal Crossing world).
To me the DLC is a better version as it's not a mini game but a full scale, used to be stand alone game.
Of course it comes with a price tag but meh
4. Unbreakable gold tools (Makes them feel much less special. I'm just going to resort to keep using the "lower quality" tools at this point)
I'm okay with this one.
The tools still exist. Can be seen as a pro or a con depending on person.
I enjoy tools breaking. Gives me more reasons to keep stocked up on materials, which in turn adds to the gameplay loop.

Only really an issue in my eyes when trying to move lots and lots of flowers.
I learnt my lesson that day to not let them grow that wild.
5. Club Tortimer I think is very much underrated. Playing small timed events with friends or random strangers was awesome.
Never was a fan of it.
But I'll give you this one as in new horizons the multiplayer doesn't really exist if you're not trading.
6. Streetpass functionality or some way of buying furniture found in other user's houses (This was a great alternative for users who did not wish to travel to buy out-of-season furniture without needing to wait for that season to come. Now, with New Horizons I can see even greater demand for this kind of feature as there are so many different color variations of items that are really hard to find on your own island).
Its gone but it was very dependent on passing someone who had street pass and played the game enough to have something decent.
With 2.0 giving us cyrus and the DLC letting us order any item in the game even if you never owned it, its purpose has kinda gone too.

I'm going with NH now. (Never thought I'd have the pleasure of saying so). This upgrade really helped the game. There are things about NL that I miss (the furniture, unbreakable tools) but there's just so much added compared to NL now that I wouldn't wanna go back. Feels really good! The lack of decorating outside and terraforming in NL and the dreaded PWPs are enough of a turn off now to me lol.

I can think of a few things.

...just to name a few.

I still think NH is the better game but it would've been nice if at least a few of the missing features from New Leaf I mentioned were implemented.
New leaf also has bigger houses, the rooms are bigger than in New Horizons.

Hide and seek with villagers. More varied villager requests- villagers ask for furniture, fruit and specific bugs and fish. They will ask you to bury time capsules. As you to fetch a villager for them. Invites are also more frequent.

More fruit and the perfect fruit.
More smaller festivals being acknowledged.
Working at the cafe with brewster and getting exclusive items.
Being able to customise your town hall and train station.
In NH I miss the town square and the tree, it was a nice way to show your progress.

I miss Mail coming via Pete twice a day and the police station. I miss Gracie and her sets.

Being able to create your own museum exhibits.

New Horizons feels like a fully game (and then some) now, and is definitely superior to New Leaf considering so.

New Horizons for sure, especially with the DLC.

However, I do like the events more in New Leaf, more interactive and a bit more challenging than in New Horizons.

New Leaf for me easily.

New Horizons now has cooking which is fun but I’ve very quickly realised there’s no point other than getting a boost so I can lift rocks and trees but fruit can do that. Villagers don’t ask for dishes. It’s cute, I’ll admit but i find it pointless.
l have unlocked every vendor in Harv’s island. I’ve paid off my home loans. I’m now going to have nothing to sink bells into. I’ve finished my museum. And no, I don’t time travel.

In all my New Leaf towns I am still working towards something. A fully completed Main Street, my mortgage, paying off a PwP. I still have my museums to finish. My villagers give me game play. NH has improved a wee bit in that regard but it’s still not great. I’ve had one visitor since the update and been asked to someone’s house twice. In NL you get pinged way more frequently.

If I play late at night I can go and play mini games, I can go to an island where it’s always summer which is nice in the middle of the winter and I can meet other people if I wanted too. My towns all have the late night ordinance and it’s much more effective in new leaf As the shops stay open much longer than NH.

I still think New leaf has a charm that NH doesn’t have. NH is a good game, but it’s not a good AC game in my opinion. New leaf and the games prior you are part Of a community and the villagers and you have to build relationships etc. New Horizons is focused more on aesthetics and crafting.

i play all the AC games daily and new horizons is the one I run out of stuff to do the fastest.

It's bizarre you actually run out of things faster in NH than in the previous games. Like, what did you do in WW or GCN, even? Those games had incredibly limited content and features compared to NL and NH. I don't see how NH is any different to the other games when it comes to building a community. It's literally the theme of the game. As for NL, you interactions with villagers were always limited: fetch/get me this or sell me that. Yes, you'd get ping'd a lot, but for those same reasons: buy/sell me something or get me bug/fish, lmao.

You can do all the things you mentioned in NH, except the mini game aspect.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Most people haven't been able to answer this question objectively since the game released, they toss around their opinions on which kind of content they prefer and then act as if that's something that truly defines what game has more or less content. The game already had a similar amount of content (probably a bit more tbh) before the 2.0 update, and now New Horizons has the 2.0 and a paid DLC to boost even further the content of the game.

For some, it doesn't matter what content is on New Horizons, people will keep posting a laundry list of features "missing" from past games, using numbers when they are convenient and disregarding them when they don't favor NL, etc. An easy example is how many times we've heard about the loss of tropical fruits when crops serve a similar function with even more added features and differences to them- people will go "NL has more fruits" which is indeed true, but will fail to list "NH has more crops" which brings raw numbers even. People still going about April Fool's event as sure-fire gotcha of NH missing content conveniently not listing International Museum Day, May Day and Wedding Season. The horror of Nook's Cranny having less upgrades but also not acknowledging how all other buildings have more upgrades.

This is the same for the amount of furniture, wallpapers, clothing, hairstyles, even the darn hair colors, etc. By pure numbers, NH objectively has more overall (it failed to reach NL furniture numbers by a negligible amount) but some people will still find a way to say NH lacks something because their favorite set is not on the game, their favorite furniture was reworked, their favorite clothing is missing, etc. And it's cool they prefer some things, we all have our own taste, but at the same time, that doesn't mean NH has less content- that is simply not true. Like, I get it, some people totally hate every new thing NH brought to the table and loved every thing NL offers. That's cool. That doesn't make NH an "incomplete", "barebones" or whatever edgy clickbaity word people have used since last year to refer to the game.

People adore making lists of things missing but they never make lists of all things added/improved and that won't change anytime soon- not even if Dark Nintendo announces a surprise expansion with all the things "missing from New Leaf"; people will move on to complain about missing features from WW or CF or GC and also add "this should have been since the beginning/this isn't really new" or whatever.

On the previous edition of the monthly thread of "New Leaf is better than New Horizons/New Horizons is missing so much", I said:

Numbers-wise, NH was only trailing behind NL on the unique furniture category, fruits, possible neighbors villagers, special NPC and understandably, a category like gyroids. It may also be possibly behind on total number of building upgrades/character unlocks and home upgrades/customization options.

The update rolled out and well, NH surpassed NL on almost everything lol It's still behind on home upgrades (the 3 storages weren't enough), unique furniture, fruits (thanks to crops taking that slot) and gyroids (thanks to the rework and I think, not sure only if you're comparing against the same gyroid just taller/high pitched/etc.). And this is without all the things that HHP brings to the table- such as progression unlocks, dialogue, interactions, etc.

tl;dr: I just think that at this point it's just objectively false to say New Leaf has more content than New Horizons. It may have content people personally prefer, but that doesn't mean it has more.

In terms of how much stuff there is to do NH wins it thanks to the new 2.0 update
In terms of how much upgrades to the shops are NF still wins this (Seriously I can't believe they never brought back the shop upgrades)

In all my New Leaf towns I am still working towards something. A fully completed Main Street, my mortgage, paying off a PwP. I still have my museums to finish
This part has made me curious.

Youre comparing what you have done on new horizons to new leaf and say you're done with one and not the other.

In order for this comparison to work in new leafs favour you would have needed to have played new leaf more than new horizons. Current town that is, not past towns.

But main street only takes 10 weeks to get everything apart from katrinas shop.
And that one takes 20 weeks.

And as for museum completion, new leafs museum is much easier to complete, or at least it was before the 2.0 update, as in new leaf there is an island that is always summer meaning that summer bugs and insects can be caught any time of year. And redd shows up each week with 1 piece of genuine art. Compared to new horizons where pre 2.0 it was once every 2 weeks and could bring all fakes.

So im guess I'm just wondering how this holds up, unless you're ignoring most of what new leaf has to offer and are only talking to your villagers when playing.

Because if you have been playing both for the same amount of time, and have been putting the same amount of effort in to both, new leaf should have a complete mainstreet and museum by now.

I'm okay with this one.
The tools still exist. Can be seen as a pro or a con depending on person.
I enjoy tools breaking. Gives me more reasons to keep stocked up on materials, which in turn adds to the gameplay loop.

I don't care all that much either. However, I'm thinking why would anyone go out of their way to craft the gold tools in this game since they serve no real function (aside from the watering can I guess, but I think I'd still rather use the regular watering can since for a slight drawback, it is much easier to acquire). It feels weird these tools went from "best in the game (for the most part)" to "why bother?".

I don't care all that much either. However, I'm thinking why would anyone go out of their way to craft the gold tools in this game since they serve no real function (aside from the watering can I guess, but I think I'd still rather use the regular watering can since for a slight drawback, it is much easier to acquire). It feels weird these tools went from "best in the game (for the most part)" to "why bother?".
I don't agree there is no reason to bother as I was always using golden tools before I reset my island (Rip diys)

But I do think for such a hard to get reward, their durability should have been higher.
Or at least customisable so you could do the durability cheat on them :p

I don't agree there is no reason to bother as I was always using golden tools before I reset my island (Rip diys)

But I do think for such a hard to get reward, their durability should have been higher.
Or at least customisable so you could do the durability cheat on them :p
But then how are you suppose to know when the tool is going to break? How would you know if the tool is even fresh or is about to break? This is why I was hoping for tool indicators to be added but they never did.

New Horizons definitely has more content than New Leaf now. As for which game is better that's more subjective depending on the player.

I went for a similar highly themed town in both games and I must say it's been way more fun in NH for me playing that way. I found 4 playable characters too limiting in NL while 8 in NH is more than enough. I was able to be more creative with my island name due to the name length increase. Character customizations are way more vast so I can make my characters look even more like the ones from the theme I'm going for. While favourite sets of old are missing I find the new items way more interesting and fun to incorporate into a build plus we can put things outside!

Sure there's a lack of minigames and other things that other players find important. Especially those that care more about gameplay than decorating/customization/building. Which is fine. Those types of players will likely prefer New Leaf and there's nothing wrong with that.

As someone big into themes, decorating and customization I greatly prefer New Horizons, though that's definitely not the case for everyone.

Back