Smug Villagers

I actually vastly prefer how the other personality types have mellowed out compared to previous games. In previous games, my villagers were so harsh and blunt that eventually I got to a point where I just ignored them completely and went on with my day because I couldn't be bothered to stand around and be constantly insulted by all my neighbours. Now, the snooty and cranky personalities seem to have been fleshed out a bit more, and it feels more realistic and immersive. There's more depth to their character and less emotional intensity. The smugs are the polar opposite of that; TOO much emotional intensity! I guess it's just not my preference.

I don't have one, but once I had Julian in my campsite. He kept telling me to "beat the Julian" so I killed him with an axe.

I mean come on, smugs are basically nerds with high self esteem, what's not to love. LOL.

Love my smugs, ahah, enjoy having three around in my main town .. Marshal / Julian / Colton, even if they do say the same things.. (to be dutifully repeated by Zell in my second town). Great character design though, and nice to have something new and different to the other personalities.

Love the smugs. Seriously the best personality ever. They're funny, sweet, fun to be around, and I find their flirtatiousness adorable. They're the most unique personality IMO. Plus I love most of their designs. Kyle, Marshal, Graham, Chadder, Julian, Colton, Ed, Eugene, Henry, Kidd, Jacques, and many more have awesome designs.

Smug villagers are amusing. Their comments when they're over visiting your house sort of creep me out once in a while but other than that they're pretty funny. It's also really cute how they nerd out over trains, or talk to you passionately about their prized bottle cap collection after they compliment how good you look today.

But yeah their PWPs sorta stink though. "Hey Mayor! I think our town could use a statue." Yes, I definitely think our town could use a gigantic red boot. And a sphinx, let me just work that in no problem.

Yes, I definitely think our town could use a gigantic red boot. And a sphinx, let me just work that in no problem.

Haha, yes! I forgot about the PWP...are those smug ones? Eek.
It's true though, they are cute nerds...so it's easy to feel a real friendship with them if you're kinda nerdy yourself. Which I am.

i like smugs but they make me upset because boys cant be that cute irl
plus it must be REALLY annoying to girl characters that don't like boys at all omg

i personally rank them near the higher end of the spectrum because they're cute and i love them and i wish i could hang out with julian irl

They're one of my least favorites. They sound exactly like all the guys who've tried hitting on me online. There are a few I don't mind though. I love Julian to death despite him being a smug. He seems like someone who would be really popular for his looks, but once you get to know him he's actually a lame dork. Eugene's pretty cool too, and I haven't been too bothered by Colton so far (but I also avoid talking to him much). So they manage to avoid being my absolute least favorite personality just because there are some that don't bother me. Before I got Julian I absolutely hated them though, but he changed my mind.

Smugs are my favorites! Personally, I'm a sucker for romance. It's kind of pitiful, haha. I really like their dialogue, one moment they'll be very inspirational, the next they'll be spurting cheesy dialogue to everyone. Their letters are pretty cool, too.

Pretty much this. I've been waiting for AC to become a dating sim, and smugs and the new crankies are the closest I get to it.
That being said, however, it severely cuts the smugs I'll allow in my town. I refuse to have anyone I don't want flirting with me, aka Beardo/Quillson/Rodney/etc. Because, with that factor and no ability to turn them down, I'd just feel nauseated.

I actually vastly prefer how the other personality types have mellowed out compared to previous games. In previous games, my villagers were so harsh and blunt that eventually I got to a point where I just ignored them completely and went on with my day because I couldn't be bothered to stand around and be constantly insulted by all my neighbours. Now, the snooty and cranky personalities seem to have been fleshed out a bit more, and it feels more realistic and immersive. There's more depth to their character and less emotional intensity. The smugs are the polar opposite of that; TOO much emotional intensity! I guess it's just not my preference.

If by "fleshed out" you mean "gutted beyond all repair", then okay. If by "immersive" you mean "literally everyone says the same lines", then okay. How the hell do you have depth with LESS emotional intensity? You don't. It's not immersive at all. They absolutely destroyed all traces of interesting dialogue with NL, to the point where Hamphrey used the same 3 lines 6 times in a row to try to buy my regal sofa yesterday.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh/offensive, and don't get me wrong because I DO actually like the cranky changes, but the snooties are far, FAR beyond snooty and more like whiny *****es who don't have an ounce of backbone to them, unlike their regal former selves. Crankies got a nice soft side which I like, however, but dialogue as a whole in this game is a disgrace and Nintendo should be so ashamed of themselves, but we all know they aren't.

Anyway, that's offtopic and merely my opinion. I just feel very strongly about it, lol.

Like I said previously, I really love it when certain smugs flirt with me, but since it's not actually a dating sim and they made really ugly/grody/gross smugs, it cuts down on the ones I actually want.

If by "fleshed out" you mean "gutted beyond all repair", then okay. If by "immersive" you mean "literally everyone says the same lines", then okay. How the hell do you have depth with LESS emotional intensity? You don't. It's not immersive at all. They absolutely destroyed all traces of interesting dialogue with NL, to the point where Hamphrey used the same 3 lines 6 times in a row to try to buy my regal sofa yesterday.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh/offensive, and don't get me wrong because I DO actually like the cranky changes, but the snooties are far, FAR beyond snooty and more like whiny *****es who don't have an ounce of backbone to them, unlike their regal former selves. Crankies got a nice soft side which I like, however, but dialogue as a whole in this game is a disgrace and Nintendo should be so ashamed of themselves, but we all know they aren't.

Anyway, that's offtopic and merely my opinion. I just feel very strongly about it, lol.

Like I said previously, I really love it when certain smugs flirt with me, but since it's not actually a dating sim and they made really ugly/grody/gross smugs, it cuts down on the ones I actually want.
Sounds like you and I have had very different experiences with the series! I find that there is more variation in the lines in New Leaf as opposed to the dialogue in previous games. In the gamecube specifically, all the snooty villagers were constantly degrading, insulting, harsh, cruel, judgmental, and rude. Their personality was very polarized towards that point. In New Leaf, I find that the snooties have since mellowed and are more realistic with their personality as opposed to being aggressive and unapproachable constantly. They are more self-aware of their flaws and of their pretentious nature, and I hear them talk more about their backstories and their interests in a less ego-boosting braggart kind of way. They seem more three-dimensional and dynamic to me in this game than they ever have before.

I really really like the dialogue in this game, personally! There's so much more to the villagers than I have seen in any other game. I love when they talk about their memories and their childhoods and their experiences. I never saw that in previous games.

Last edited:
Sounds like you and I have had very different experiences with the series! I find that there is more variation in the lines in New Leaf as opposed to the dialogue in previous games. In the gamecube specifically, all the snooty villagers were constantly degrading, insulting, harsh, cruel, judgmental, and rude. Their personality was very polarized towards that point. In New Leaf, I find that the snooties have since mellowed and are more realistic with their personality as opposed to being aggressive and unapproachable constantly. They are more self-aware of their flaws and of their pretentious nature, and I hear them talk more about their backstories and their interests in a less ego-boosting braggart kind of way. They seem more three-dimensional and dynamic to me in this game than they ever have before.

I really really like the dialogue in this game, personally! There's so much more to the villagers than I have seen in any other game. I love when they talk about their memories and their childhoods and their experiences. I never saw that in previous games.

Same!

Oh wait. I should probably mention I never played GC, and only played WW -- I can't actually attest to the differences there, and I don't even entirely remember what they were like in WW since it's been so long. That complaint of mine is more general, since WW makes me feel kinda sick to touch cause it lags horribly and the graphics are... Well... Uh... Too old for me now haha.

From what I remember, snooties in WW were perfect, but do keep in mind that could be nostalgia. It's very hard to recall. And yeah as I said never played GC so can't attest to that either, though I heard there's some emulators? I might go look for one to see if I could try it out...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, and memories/childhood/etc is great, but what boils my blood is the very very limited amount of dialogue. I didn't necessarily mean the quality was bad I suppose (except for snooties), I meant the quantity. Sorry, I got a little heated there 8P

Oh wait. I should probably mention I never played GC, and only played WW -- I can't actually attest to the differences there, and I don't even entirely remember what they were like in WW since it's been so long. That complaint of mine is more general, since WW makes me feel kinda sick to touch cause it lags horribly and the graphics are... Well... Uh... Too old for me now haha.

From what I remember, snooties in WW were perfect, but do keep in mind that could be nostalgia. It's very hard to recall. And yeah as I said never played GC so can't attest to that either, though I heard there's some emulators? I might go look for one to see if I could try it out...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, and memories/childhood/etc is great, but what boils my blood is the very very limited amount of dialogue. I didn't necessarily mean the quality was bad I suppose (except for snooties), I meant the quantity. Sorry, I got a little heated there 8P

Don't forget though. Quality is MUCH better than Quantity.

On the discussion at hand, I agree with Shirohibiki that the dialogue, especially for crankies, has been kind of gutted. At the same time I do think that the personalities aren't as hilariously polarized. While I do like that in some ways, I remember feeling kind of odded out. I felt like someone on the dev team just went "we need to make this game more positive and nobody should be really mean" and that's just what happened. Snooties lost their royalty and crankies lost their bite.

It's just a very weird thing to me. Actually kind of eerie for personal reasons ahaha; I do enjoy the adorable sweet side of crankies in ACNL though.

I used to dislike snooties quite a bit despite my complaint though. And on another note, I detest what they did to the normal personality in NL. They're so...meek, dreary, and I'd probably think they have some kind of special snowflake syndrome going on if I met them in real life. They were sweethearts before and my favorite female persona but I'm pretty sure they fall last in this game for me orz.

On topic, I like them because they're a good idea for a personality. I think they're cute in game 50 part cringecute 50 part just because playboys. I'm pretty sure I would slap the ever loving hell out of them if they translated to real life though, or at least be incredibly irritated at them.

Last edited:
On the discussion at hand, I agree with Shirohibiki that the dialogue, especially for crankies, has been kind of gutted. At the same time I do think that the personalities aren't as hilariously polarized. While I do like that in some ways, I remember feeling kind of odded out. I felt like someone on the dev team just went "we need to make this game more positive and nobody should be really mean" and that's just what happened. Snooties lost their royalty and crankies lost their bite.

It's just a very weird thing to me. Actually kind of eerie for personal reasons ahaha; I do enjoy the adorable sweet side of crankies in ACNL though.

I used to dislike snooties quite a bit despite my complaint though. And on another note, I detest what they did to the normal personality in NL. They're so...meek, dreary, and I'd probably think they have some kind of special snowflake syndrome going on if I met them in real life. They were sweethearts before and my favorite female persona but I'm pretty sure they fall last in this game for me orz.

On topic, I like them because they're a good idea for a personality. I think they're cute in game 50 part cringecute 50 part just because playboys. I'm pretty sure I would slap the ever loving hell out of them if they translated to real life though, or at least be incredibly irritated at them.
I agree with you about the normal personalities! They're so self-deprecating and meek in this game, it upsets me. Why is that considered a "normal" female character? Sounds a little fishy to me...

I also feel the same way about the smugs. Actually, that's probably why they make me so uncomfortable. I might be biased because I've met guys JUST like them in real life--I've heard some of the smug dialogue spoken by guys in real life word-for-word! They're SUCH a type... they can be amusing and fun as a fictional character, but that personality does not translate well to reality, at least in my experience.

The love poems they send you in the mail are hilarious. I wish I would have kept some that Eugene sent me before he moved away!

Back