Sincerely struggling with Mahi Mahi and Giant Trevally - UPDATE: CLEAN YOUR PIER

Bells
Switch
4953-3510-6903
Ruby
Sinister Lantern
Lost Star Fragment 002.AN
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Cake
^ title.

They're my last two fish. I've traded for loads of fish bait and I would've long run through it if I weren't resetting at certain intervals to save some of it.

At least with bugs you can see them directly and know if they spawned or not. But I'm losing hope quickly. ;//u//;

If anyone has any tips or well wishes....I've already been doing bait exclusively at the pier. I know they're all day fishes but is there any time windows that seem better than others?

OKAY SO BIG UPDATE-

Dug around comment sections and found that people were reporting that pier fish don't spawn if your pier is decorated. Took off all my patterns and decorations and caught both of them just now within about an hour.

Last edited:
Fish in NH don't have peak times like they did in past games. It's all down to luck, really, so you'll just have to keep trying I'm afraid ... They're both quite rare also ...

Remember, though, that sometimes the harder you look for something, the longer it takes to find !! I found the Mahi Mahi and Barreleye just by wandering by the pier randomly and spotting a shadow. Maybe, rather than standing still throwing fish bait, walk up and down the stretch of beach that you're pier is on, chasing away any shadows that are the 'wrong' size ...

And good luck !!

I’m like you the I only have the Giant Trevally left. I think I might have hooked it more than once but it always slips the hook. Idk…..there is one fish that for some reason I am too slow to hit A or too fast. I haven’t figured out what the trick is with that particular fish. I’ve caught all of the others many multiple times except that one big shadow! And it has happened that I don’t catch it over, and over. I think it’s the same one because many of the fish either have a particular nibble pattern, or a specific way they bite. For example, I alway’s know when I’ve hooked a clown fish because their bite is forceful compared to their tiny size. I’ll be watching this thread to see if anyone posts here with some magical trick!

I used to sell models, so I’ve made multiples of each fish at this point. For me what worked best for trevally and mahi was going to a Nook mile island, and just running the beach back and forth (this respawns scared off fish) checking the dock at each pass. Mahis, for me at least, we’re easy to come by doing this.

Just remember to scare off all fish that aren’t large shadows at the dock. Much like bugs, causing respawns is what helps you here.

I’d actually also suggest daytime. There are less large fish active during the day. Going at night, you’ll end up dealing with shark spawns.

OKAY SO BIG UPDATE-

Dug around comment sections and found that people were reporting that pier fish don't spawn if your pier is decorated. Took off all my patterns and decorations and caught both of them just now within about an hour.

I can't even begin to count how many hours and hundreds and hundreds of bait I wasted till just now. Hope this helps everyone else!

Also hadn't thought of Nook Mile islands, that's actually so smart. I did them for the last summer beetles (brought palm trees in my pockets and decimated the local ecosystem to encourage beetle spawns) so I'm surprised I didn't think to use the higher spawn rates for fishing too.

Glad you solved your problem!

I’ve never had my pier decorated, so I didn’t even know that could cause an issue.

I know you solved the problem, but there's an important note to make! Pier also counts as where the plane lands on mystery island tours, or where Kapp'n docks on his islands! Especially the latter, as I've gotten a bunch of pier fish from Kapp'n islands in the past by complete accident.

Fish in NH don't have peak times like they did in past games. It's all down to luck, really, so you'll just have to keep trying I'm afraid ... They're both quite rare also ...

Remember, though, that sometimes the harder you look for something, the longer it takes to find !! I found the Mahi Mahi and Barreleye just by wandering by the pier randomly and spotting a shadow. Maybe, rather than standing still throwing fish bait, walk up and down the stretch of beach that you're pier is on, chasing away any shadows that are the 'wrong' size ...

And good luck !!
There were peak times in past games?

OMG thank you so much I was struggling to get these also and kept using bait to see if I could find them but nope I just have to clean my pier.

this is so wild.... what a strange coding glitch to happen. genuinely thought i just was a badluck fishing charm 😂 thanks for the tip!

Back