• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should I get Stardew Valley on PC or Switch

Yoshisaur

Bells
I like the idea of having it portable and playing on my lunch at work or in bed BUT a lot of people really enjoy the PC mods. Any opinions?

PC! Honestly my reason for this is that on the computer you have the ability to mod the game. I love it, but once you’ve gone through it once mods can add a whole new level of replay value. I’ve installed things that help me gather crops faster, change the look of buildings and trees, change the character dialogues, etc. It’s totally worth it to have this option. Nexus Mods and SMAPii makes modding the game very easy.

PC! Honestly my reason for this is that on the computer you have the ability to mod the game. I love it, but once you’ve gone through it once mods can add a whole new level of replay value. I’ve installed things that help me gather crops faster, change the look of buildings and trees, change the character dialogues, etc. It’s totally worth it to have this option. Nexus Mods and SMAPii makes modding the game very easy.
Came here to say this, if you mod the PC all the way!

PC because it’s SOOOOO much easier to use the controls on the PC and play/chat with friends

Last edited:
I have it for both, not tried PC yet, but I do like the switch because I like having it in my hands. I've hardly played it docked, I feel like Stardew is an intimate game, and it feels more so handheld than on a big screen. I did get it for the PC though to check out the modding scene, I love Sims 4 and I wouldn't be able to play without mods, so I'm hoping that's not the case when I start playing it on PC with mods :)

i have stardew valley both on my switch and on steam. i really enjoy the portability of playing on the switch and being able to play in bed or on car trips, but if you really want mods and all that then i would recommend the pc version.

on my pc version i have mods that re-skin the pet you get (like turning it into eevee or another pet breed) among many others. it’s really up to what you value more!

edit; you can also go into the files on your computer and change the name of your character, change the layout of your farm and even go back in time.

I went with Switch as I prefer handheld games and it's easier to play than on my computer. I really like how the original game is so I am fine without the use of mods. I know many people prefer mods though so if that's important to you then get it on PC.

I've owned Stardew Valley on PC, Xbox, and Switch.

I would suggest going with whatever you are more likely to play casually.

When I played Stardew on Xbox, I didn't really play it that much...because, the Xbox is something that I consider more of an "investment" of time. If I'm turning on my Xbox (or PS4) and sitting down...then I'm more likely to play a game that suits that mentality. On the other hand, when I played Stardew on PC...it was so that I could multitask (I have dual computer monitors). In that sense, I could play a relaxing game like Stardew Valley, and also do some online stuff at the same time. This was fine...but, I ultimately bought the game a third time (for Switch)...because, that seemed like the most fitting way to play it. When I play my Switch, it's because I'm in full "relax" mode. Stardew is obviously a game that is best experienced in "relax" mode. So, that was my preference in the end.

I prefer it on Pc over switch. I think PC is better because it’s easier to play on PC. Even without modding the game, it’s much easier to maneuver around and do the mines with a mouse and keyboard than with a controller.

I play it on an iPad, which should be at least somewhat comparable to playing it on the Switch. I love that you can just play for a few minutes every now and then and I guess the Switch as a portable console is better for that. As others have mentioned, it should control better on the PC because it was originally developed for it. I guess it really depends on your play style

I think PC is best because you can mod it and honestly, there are some quality of life mods that I find totally necessary for me to be able to enjoy the game. I tried to do a second playthrough with zero mods and instantly realized how annoying it was for me to have to collect everything from chests just to be able to craft something. I love keeping things really organized so I have a lot of chests. Imagine having to find multiple items from multiple chests just to craft a few things, then have to put all those things away. Maybe some people don't mind it, but I nodded the game right away so I can access chests from a menu instead. I made it only useable on the farm though, so it isn't too much of a cheat.

I'd say for these simple QoL mods alone, the PC is the best version. And that isn't even counting all the visual mods that make the game so much prettier and add more features! The possibilities are endless :). Plus PC gets updated first, before console versions, in case being able to play the latest version as soon as possible matters to you at all!

PC! Like people say, PC can get mods. Honestly the controls for it on switch feel weird as well

I like the idea of having it portable and playing on my lunch at work or in bed BUT a lot of people really enjoy the PC mods. Any opinions?

Get it on the pc and add mods, they add more animals/recipes/seeds/towns/npcs/quests and storylines. But I own it on both pc and switch because I love my switch, so it's up to you!

Back