• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Should I buy a screen protector for WiiU?

booshoe

Bells
I just got my WiiU and I'm very happy that I can now play Wind Waker, Smash Bros, MK8, and alot of other games.
With this, I can also finally have the chance to draw properly on miiverse or maybe even in art academy if I get the chance to buy it.

I really love drawing and this is one of the reasons why I got a Wii U. If I just get a cintiq tablet(which is clearly the better choice for drawing, obviously), I won't be able to play games. So I just got the WiiU since it hits two birds with one stone. And it isn't as expensive as a cintiq I think. Also, I like drawing on paper more than digital. No hate plese (lol_

So back to the topic;
If I'm going to be drawing in my WiiU, should I invest in a screen protector or is it hard to scratch?

I hadn't realized the Wii U was a good drawing tool. I'll have to check that out. I've had bad experiences with screen protectors. They tend to force me to press harder on the screen to interact with it which obviously isn't good. If there's a good brand that doesn't interfere with touching the screen I say go for it, but otherwise I think you're good. My Gamepad doesn't have any scratches on it that I know of.

Last edited:
No. I've had my Wii U since June 2013 now and really the screen doesn't get damaged with normal use of the GamePad.

I would say it's pretty unnecessary in my opinion.

Obviously that goes with how well you look after your stuff and how hard you press onto the Wii U with the stylus but for me, I've used the touch screen quite a lot and there's not a single scratch on there.
It gets a bit dirty but what doesn't? Just clean it regularly.

I got some screen protectors with it when I bought it and I've not really used them. For the same as said above, I ended up having to push the stylus harder than I wanted to in order to get a response and I didn't like that. It felt like I was going to do more damage with pushing hard than I would just using it normally.

I hadn't realized the Wii U was a good drawing tool. I'll have to check that out.

I picked up Art Academy to properly test it out since the Wii U is the closest thing I own to a proper tablet and I wanted a tablet to draw (specifically to color things in).

I don't rate it very highly. When drawing it feels like where my stylus is drawing is a bit off from where I'm actually trying to draw (if that makes sense) which is highly annoying. The analog sticks and buttons get in the way as well, so I'll end up pushing an analog stick with my drawing hand and scrolling the picture around, or pressing one of the triggers by accident and bringing up a menu. It's a lot of effort, especially when the finished result looks like trash compared to what I can do with a pencil and some paper.

Not to mention it's lacking a lot of basic things that I expect in a digital drawing tool like a proper zoom (it zooms in once to a set distance, that's it, it's not very useful), different layers or even a proper way to just erase or color properly.

It's the best art app on the Wii U apparently (it's possibly also the only one) and I really wouldn't recommend it. It kind of tries to be 'realistic' to how you would draw/color/paint in real life and with that brings the same limitations...In fact, I find it more limiting.
I would honestly just go my old cheap route of taking pictures of my pictures with a webcam (because I don't own a scanner) and coloring it with GIMP photo editor (a free Photoshop) on my laptop. It's just so much easier in my opinion.

No. Screen protecters make you push harder. My gamepad has been chucked across teh room, and it's still alive.

I would say it's pretty unnecessary in my opinion.

Obviously that goes with how well you look after your stuff and how hard you press onto the Wii U with the stylus but for me, I've used the touch screen quite a lot and there's not a single scratch on there.
It gets a bit dirty but what doesn't? Just clean it regularly.

I got some screen protectors with it when I bought it and I've not really used them. For the same as said above, I ended up having to push the stylus harder than I wanted to in order to get a response and I didn't like that. It felt like I was going to do more damage with pushing hard than I would just using it normally.

I picked up Art Academy to properly test it out since the Wii U is the closest thing I own to a proper tablet and I wanted a tablet to draw (specifically to color things in).

I don't rate it very highly. When drawing it feels like where my stylus is drawing is a bit off from where I'm actually trying to draw (if that makes sense) which is highly annoying. The analog sticks and buttons get in the way as well, so I'll end up pushing an analog stick with my drawing hand and scrolling the picture around, or pressing one of the triggers by accident and bringing up a menu. It's a lot of effort, especially when the finished result looks like trash compared to what I can do with a pencil and some paper.

Not to mention it's lacking a lot of basic things that I expect in a digital drawing tool like a proper zoom (it zooms in once to a set distance, that's it, it's not very useful), different layers or even a proper way to just erase or color properly.

It's the best art app on the Wii U apparently (it's possibly also the only one) and I really wouldn't recommend it. It kind of tries to be 'realistic' to how you would draw/color/paint in real life and with that brings the same limitations...In fact, I find it more limiting.
I would honestly just go my old cheap route of taking pictures of my pictures with a webcam (because I don't own a scanner) and coloring it with GIMP photo editor (a free Photoshop) on my laptop. It's just so much easier in my opinion.

When you were drawing with Art Academy, did you have a screen protector on the gamepad?
Also, if not, did the gamepad get scratched?

That's basically my problem and I think I'll be drawing in miiverse more. The black and white motifs with proper toning just gets me swooning. It's kinda like manga, although pixel-y. It's really hard for me to do the toning in 3ds.

It's pretty sturdy for drawing, but my screen has a tiny, almost unnoticeable crack from dropping it, so you can if you want.

Had mine from over a year now and my Gamepad doesn't have a scratch. I've never bothered with screen protectors because they just feel like a hassle.

I guess I'll just get one. It's really a matter of "will it get scratched if I draw on it?" more than if it can get scratched in the long run if i take good care of it.

Yes because for drawing so what if it will get scratch

When you were drawing with Art Academy, did you have a screen protector on the gamepad?
Also, if not, did the gamepad get scratched?

That's basically my problem and I think I'll be drawing in miiverse more. The black and white motifs with proper toning just gets me swooning. It's kinda like manga, although pixel-y. It's really hard for me to do the toning in 3ds.

I tried it with and without. I put the screen protector on because I didn't want to scratch it but I ended up taking it off since it made it feel harder to use. The brand I had may have just been too thick, though I don't know how much difference there'll be from brand to brand.

I've had my Wii U a while now and played a few 'touch screen focused' games and there's not a single scratch on the screen and I don't use protectors.

I do like all the little black and white pictures that get uploaded on Miiverse though. Some of them are really really good and they're pretty much the reason I wanted to get Art Academy in the first place and try using the gamepad as a legit drawing tool. I just don't like using the gamepad for drawing though.

Back