• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Raymond: The Hot Topic!

Love him, like him, hate him!?

• Love him!

Votes: 74 28.6%
  • Like him!

Votes: 82 31.7%
  • Hate him!

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • No opinion on him!

Votes: 73 28.2%
  • Dislike him!

Votes: 19 7.3%

• Total voters
I had a gray tabby with heterochromia. While she was female, and her eyes were brown and blue, I just found Raymond to be an awesome close design for her, because there are no torties at all like my other cat ( which is really sad to me ). I also just have a thing for glasses on characters, and I prefer how I look in my own glasses, so Raymond just ticks all the boxes for me.

I wish people would stop making a spectacle of his auction threads, and people would stop being so ridiculously greedy and overinflating everything. It's making people hate him when before this, I'm fairly sure he would have been neutral at worst to most of the people who hate him now.

I'll probably never get him,,, because I know once his amiibo card comes out, people will inflate the prices of it like they are with the cards now already ( I saw a Marina card selling for over 50$, like ... come the heck on, now ), and I've already been to over 100 islands and TT'd day by day for 5 months with no smugs and haven't gotten him in my camp. I also refuse to pay these ridiculous prices for him, because they're incredibly unfair.

So, I guess I'll hope to one day pay homage to Pennies through Animal Crossing some other way, one day.
I'm sorry if the situation has been hard for you. One of the reasons I started the thread was because I wanted to hear from different people and see a lot of different perspectives. I can also understand why you'd want him since it means something more than just this game to you. I feel that the option in my poll for hating him might not even be there if I hadn't already seen some people say that they absolutely hate him and you are also correct that they usually hate him for that exact reason, because he's unobtainable and everywhere they seem to go on here. Perhaps for that reason this thread may also be a bit redundant and I understand that now but still do not wholly regret starting the discussion. Might I politely suggest a way for you to pay homage to your beloved Pennies. A lot of people have been making shrines for passed loved ones in game with decorations and by transferring real life pictures in game. You could try sending a picture of Pennies into the game using ACPatterns.com and turning the image into a pattern you can copy, or you could try designing your own and then display it on a sign or easel with some flowers and such. I hope things get better for you and thank you for sharing your opinion. :)
Post automatically merged:

don't worry, I get it. he is kinda ugly lol
but he is also a perf smug in terms of appearance hahaha
My partner told me that to them, he looked like a rich guy who tells people that they could be rich if they worked harder but he's only rich because of some distant relatives inheritance! LOL

Quite like his design! He's a handsome lad. But, if he came to my island, I'd unfortunately put him up for auction, since there are villagers I want more, and he's going for quite a lot. I'd only offer bells though since I'd hate to see someone with not enough tickets miss out on him. I'd probably feel bad about giving him away though if I'm being honest.

I like him a lot. I am into business chic and I like his design. What I don't understand is the hype about him being 'suuuper moe ♡☆♡☆'. He doesn't even keep the cutsy clothing because it's not his style.
Unfortunately none of my villagers keep the cute clothing I give them, for the most part. They only wear it on occasion and it makes me disappointed...

The poll seems a bit biased. There are two positive options, and one negative option. And the only negative option is quite harsh. Why is there not a "dislike him" option?

Just nitpicking here, but yeah. I have no opinion on him. He definitely didn't help with the NMT fiasco, though.
If you'd like I could add the option right now and I apologize if I made you feel excluded in any wayx the thread wasn't super well executed from the beginning, unfortunately. I'll add the option and if you still wanna vote then feel free to do so but I won't feel bad if you'd rather not now! Thanks for letting me know!

Just a quick note, I added a couple of options as we went a long because I didn't give enough for some of the people on here to properly tell us how they feel so I added those to the poll, it should be set to change your vote, so if you felt that you were left no choice but to vote for whatever was closest to your feelings but not exact, please feel free to change your vote and let me know if you have any other concerns with my poll. Will do my best to keep up, thanks!

I like him!

He was the first visitor to my campsite and therefore I had to have him move in, and I was mighty pissed at first because when I visited his tent I immediately hated him. I don't know what I was expecting but I knew I didn't want him.
But as I had no choice and I don't TT, I thought I'd just have him move out as soon as possible.

Turns out he's one of my cutest villager, always out and about, singing or sipping soda on the beach, and he's super sweet to me!
I'm glad I had to take him in because he's now one of the 5 villagers I want to keep as long as possible in my island!

Oh great, another Raymond Theard ...

Imo he has a great design and I like what they did with his two-colored eyes, but I don’t praise him as one of the best or even the best villager/s, only because he’s a Cat and he has a tuft of blond hair. There are more than enough other Villagers with unique Smug Designs, like Zell, Lionel, Pietro, Kyle, Shep, Eugene and Chadder. And I was never really a Cat Person myself (I had a Dog when I was little. Also a Hamster.)

Also because I have my own Smug-List of Villagers, I wouldn’t want him on my Island. I would not dare to kick some of them out for him. If I would encounter him on the next Island, I would probably keep him, but only until Amiibo would get fixed. Otherwise I already have Mitzi, so, sorry Raymond.

I like him!

He was the first visitor to my campsite and therefore I had to have him move in, and I was mighty pissed at first because when I visited his tent I immediately hated him. I don't know what I was expecting but I knew I didn't want him.
But as I had no choice and I don't TT, I thought I'd just have him move out as soon as possible.

Turns out he's one of my cutest villager, always out and about, singing or sipping soda on the beach, and he's super sweet to me!
I'm glad I had to take him in because he's now one of the 5 villagers I want to keep as long as possible in my island!
I get this! I actually used to think Zucker was gross and hated him in New Leaf, but I encountered him on an island and after a real glow up he is so cute to me all of a sudden and I love the revamped Lazy personality so much! I love when I greet him and he says "Hi, I'm Zucker!" Like, yes, I know, you sweet child.

I like him because of his design and I’m a cat person but I wouldn’t say he’s the best out of all though. I decided that if I ever get him, it’s either from a) getting him natural through islands or b) when his amiibo data is leaked online. I wouldn’t go out of my way to island hop for him though because I don’t think he’s worth the effort.

Not sure if I would auction him off though because tbh I don’t want people going b4tsh!t crazy and pay 2500 NMT or pay millions of bells for him. I’d probably give him away to a friend though.

Oh great, another Raymond Theard ...

Imo he has a great design and I like what they did with his two-colored eyes, but I don’t praise him as one of the best or even the best villager/s, only because he’s a Cat and he has a tuft of blond hair. There are more than enough other Villagers with unique Smug Designs, like Zell, Lionel, Pietro, Kyle, Shep, Eugene and Chadder. And I was never really a Cat Person myself (I had a Dog when I was little. Also a Hamster.)

Also because I have my own Smug-List of Villagers, I wouldn’t want him on my Island. I would not dare to kick some of them out for him. If I would encounter him on the next Island, I would probably keep him, but only until Amiibo would get fixed. Otherwise I already have Mitzi, so, sorry Raymond.
Haha yeah I expected this reaction from at least one person today! Forgive me for being redundant, but I needed something to keep me entertained during today's tourney. To be honest as much as I like him, and I have my own beloved villagers, I don't think there is really any best villager. Because aside from designs, some maybe being more clever than others, we really only have 10 personalities and while we may all have different experiences in our games, they all act the same way. Now I have some villagers that are low tier and I wish more people liked them the way that I did and they're so cute to me that I think they should be more popular but I understand why they aren't and that's okay too. Thanks for sharing, I'm enjoying all of the conversations I'm having today! P.S. While I'm not fond of chadder personally, I do appreciate the food villagers because they're unique to me. Although I find a few of them unattractive, I still appreciate the idea and design. I'd love to see an all foodie villager town at some point!

I like him because of his design and I’m a cat person but I wouldn’t say he’s the best out of all though. I decided that if I ever get him, it’s either from a) getting him natural through islands or b) when his amiibo data is leaked online. I wouldn’t go out of my way to island hop for him though because I don’t think he’s worth the effort.

Not sure if I would auction him off though because tbh I don’t want people going b4tsh!t crazy and pay 2500 NMT or pay millions of bells for him. I’d probably give him away to a friend though.
I agree. I love a lot of villagers but won't force myself to suffer for any of them. If I really want them I'll buy the amiibo or wait until I meet them randomly. I have enough stress in life as is! Lol

I really like him, but I like most of the cat villagers 😋
He has total resting b**** face and I love it lol. My friend came to my town to meet him and said he was a lot friendlier than she expected. 🤣

I think he's been over-hyped honestly but I don't really care. My girlfriend has Raymond in her town and I just don't understand the hype at all? I'm just not much of a cat person though so that's probably why, I have also never understood the Internet obsession with cats either so :v

The only thing I like about him is the heterochromia. I like many cats in AC, but Raymond surely isn't one of them. I don't like smug villagers too much, I don't like his design too much and I certainly can't stand the whole hype around him..

I really like him, but I like most of the cat villagers 😋
He has total resting b**** face and I love it lol. My friend came to my town to meet him and said he was a lot friendlier than she expected. 🤣
I am very biased because I too love a lot of the cat villagers. I only somewhat dislike one of them and they still aren't even that bad. I just love cats. Lol

I think he's been over-hyped honestly but I don't really care. My girlfriend has Raymond in her town and I just don't understand the hype at all? I'm just not much of a cat person though so that's probably why, I have also never understood the Internet obsession with cats either so :v
Even if you were a cat person there's still a chance he could have been meh, to you. I'm a cat person and I don't like or love every cat villager but I do like a lot of them. I feel like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth about it but if you see my point than I'm okay with doing that I guess lol. I like most of the cats but not all of them even though I'm a cat person haha.

The only thing I like about him is the heterochromia. I like many cats in AC, but Raymond surely isn't one of them. I don't like smug villagers too much, I don't like his design too much and I certainly can't stand the whole hype around him..
Understandable. I can't remember names nor would I share them if I did but some people I've seen on here I think said that they dislike him for being so popular but mostly due to the insane hype over him. I think some hype is okay but the Raymond hype is having some negative effects and that makes it a problem. I think he could have brought a healthy hype if more people didn't go to such lengths to own him, and others didn't ask so much for him, but I will also respect that people have different passions and priorities and that's okay by me. I just wish there weren't any unhealthy side effects like we've seen here. Thanks for sharing by the way!

Not really a fan. He seems like someone’s oc when they try to give them a bunch of special qualities so they’re unique. Tbh the smug villagers bother me in this game too :p

He’s cute, but I wouldn’t fork over my left kidney’s value in NMT for him like some people on here would.
I agree that I wouldn't do that either and I guess I wouldn't really mind others doing it so long as it wasn't negatively effecting some people, but unfortunately it may have. I don't have proof handy of course and that's only my opinion but yeah. It is a bit crazy isn't it? The general situation I mean. I also find it interesting though, because I guess I never expected to see something like this. It feels even crazier than back when New Leaf Welcome Amiibo released.

Not really a fan. He seems like someone’s oc when they try to give them a bunch of special qualities so they’re unique. Tbh the smug villagers bother me in this game too :p
Lol that's a humorous way to look at it! It does feel like that, especially the different colored eyes! I do like the smugs though, but probably about as much as every other personality. I just love having the diversity in town.

I like him! My favourite smug is still Marshal by a long shot, but I'd be happy to have Raymond in my town for a while, especially because I really don't like most of the other smugs.

I like him! My favourite smug is still Marshal by a long shot, but I'd be happy to have Raymond in my town for a while, especially because I really don't like most of the other smugs.
I'm actually okay with a good number of the smugs but as a cat person who wears glasses I'm biased towards Raymond so I am pretty fond of him. Marshall is cute too and I don't care if liking him makes me look like I'm part of a crowd. Cleo is still my favorite villager tho. I also really like Snooty's and I have a history with her lol

I love him, then again I love the smug personality completely. It’s favourite for me even above lazy villagers. I love that he lives in a little office, I love his cute little glasses and his different coloured eyes. I just find him adorable. I hadn’t really expected everybody else to feel the exact same haha so when I wanted to get him I just island hopped for 400+ islands before I found him. I also have Marshal and honestly I’m considering sending my beloved Chief away so I can get Julian too. I just loved the smugs in new leaf and I love them even more this game :)

i like him & most cat villagers! he has a cool classy design. i did try to do some island hopping to find him, but picked up other cute villagers along the way instead haha. i'd like to have him on my island eventually

I have a cat with heterochromia in real life so you'd think I should go bonkers for him but I really couldn't care less.
I also had/have the same feelings about Marshal but, if anything, I think Marshal is probably cuter.
Raymond just looks too grumpy in my opinion. I suppose he fits the aesthetic of "business cat" pretty well but not for me.
If I were ever to encounter him, I'd only get him to trade him for other items/TMT or bells.

Back