• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Rating the changes: GameCube Version vs Wild World (Part 2)

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Yesterday’s entry was about the changes between the GameCube Version and Wild World. Although I came to a conclusion that Wild World is better than the GameCube Version, it’s not much better. I liked how we can experience weather changes and see the sky, I do not like having a smaller town at one level of elevation or having no dock at the big lake. I like having new themes, but the lack of holiday items is unforgivable. I like having more character customization, but the lack of holidays is a major flaw with the game.

Today’s entry is about the stuff that stayed the same, the similarities between the GameCube Version and Wild World. While we had a few changes due to data limitation in cartridges and portable devices, there are some stuff that have not changed. Although I do appreciate that Nintendo didn’t remove my favorite features, some of the flaws with the GameCube Version need fixing. Since I rated 50 changes, I’ll do 25 similarities, and I’ll give a summary of what I think of each issue.

• Time Traveling: Honestly, if that feature had to be removed, I would think Animal Crossing would be ruined. Unless if you don’t have to wait the next day to build new structures. But it’s not possible to remove the feature, because even if you can’t do it before loading your game, you can still change the system’s settings. The negative consequences of time traveling still remain, but the fact that they kept this saved Wild World from being such a bad game. Score: +2
  • Resetti: Despite changes in dialogue and music, Resetti still appears in the game if you don’t save your game. Although I don’t want him removed back in the day, I wished Resetti was nicer, and even if he isn’t, you should explain why you reset your game. Score: -2
  • Visiting Other Towns: Even if they changed the system, I still liked that you can visit other towns. If you can’t, how will you get new fruits? Or how would Nookway remodel? Score: +2
  • Working at Nook’s as tutorials: Having tutorials on how to play a video game is a good idea, even in Animal Crossing. And I like how it ties in with working at his store (like changing to uniform = how to change clothes). Even if you do some jobs wrong, you still get Bells removed from your debt. The only problem is that you’re being forced to do it. Score: +1
  • Character Creation Questionnaire: Although Happy Home Designer shows that this needs to change, I was fine with it back then. The one thing they did right was that they removed a question that if you answer it one way, it randomizes the eyes. But that’s taken out. Score: 0
  • Seasons: The only Animal Crossing games as of now that do not have the same seasonal pattern the GameCube Version had are New Leaf and Happy Home Designer. While I didn’t care at the time, New Leaf’s at least was natural, and anything before New Leaf was unnatural. Score: -1
  • All towns are valleys: I get that we need a barrier, but cliffs aren’t the best. I don’t like the idea of valleys. I think fences or oceans are better. Score: -2
  • Biomes: One thing that stayed the same in all Animal Crossing games that I seek a change in is choosing your town’s biome. Not that it’s bad, it’s something I want. Score: -2
  • Weeds: I hate weeds. I hate them, but removing this feature wouldn’t be good for Animal Crossing. It really wouldn’t. There needs to be some challenge, but I would be fine if they did remove them. Score: +1
  • Fruits: What they are right about? Keeping the five fruits we know. What are they wrong about? Not adding new fruits. Score: -2
  • Character Body Customization: The good news is that we can now customize the heads of the characters, including hairstyles and faces. But the rest, that needs to be changed. I didn’t like how the pattern to the front side of the shirt also applied to the other sides of the shirt. Thankfully, New Leaf took care of that. Score: -2
  • Interior Design: This definitely needs to stay. The reason why I played Animal Crossing in the first place is because I like interior designing, as well as collecting furniture. If they take that feature out, then what’s the point of playing Animal Crossing? Score: +2
  • HRA: While I like a scoring guide, I do not like how we’re forced to be part of them. Nook won’t take no as an answer. The latter two games in the main series made this better. Score: -2
  • Backyards: I’m happy with the way we have the house, but I wish my house had a back yard and a front yard. While the house remodeling feature and house design features get better and better, this is something that remained missing. And there’s no basement. Score: -2
  • Furniture Series and Themes: Although my favorite furniture series are holiday themes and themes not introduced in the GameCube Version such as the Gorgeous Series and Astro Series, my favorite furniture series when I was a teenager were the Green Series, Blue Series, Cabin Series, Ranch Series, and the Modern Series. Since they were in both games, the score is good. Score: +2
  • Ordering from the Catalog: Another thing I liked about Animal Crossing is ordering from Tom Nook’s Store. It’s fun at the time. Now it’s like a everyday tool. Score: +2
  • Nookington’s Remodeling Restriction: The biggest flaw that stayed in both the GameCube Version and Wild World is that in order to unlock Nookington’s, you need a shopper from another town to buy from your town’s store. This was a problem in the GameCube Version, but it’s worse in Wild World because of the hair salon. Adding insult to injury, Nookway is my least favorite Nook’s Store expansion. Score: -2
  • Designing Patterns: Since I can redesign my patterns anywhere in City Folk and New Leaf while having Pro Designs, I would not like to go back to this. But since I’m rating it by my opinion at the time, it’s not as low. Score: 0
  • Exhibit Designs: A few days ago, I talked about how bad they looked in the GameCube Version and Wild World. Do I need to say anything here? Score: -1
  • Additional Exhibits: One thing that stayed the same in all Animal Crossing games that I would like to see a change in is more exhibits. I certainly have no use for gyroids, a botanical exhibit would be nice as this would encourage flower breeding, I like seeing minerals on display, and an exhibit on town models would be amazing. Score: -2
  • Money Rocks: While the shiny grounds with hidden bells are gone, one thing that stayed is money rocks. I wonder what Animal Crossing be like without them? Score: +2
  • Shaking Trees: Because you may never know what’s inside a fruitless tree, I would be scared to shake trees. If they displayed the beehives outside like in Desert Island Escape, this would be a major improvement. Score: -2
  • Golden Tools: While they added the golden slingshot and golden watering can, I like how you can still earn golden tools in the game. And I also like what’s cool about each golden tool (like that the golden axe never breaks). Score: +2
  • Fireworks Festival and Fishing Tourney: While many holidays were cut out, I’m glad that the Fireworks Festival and Fishing Tourney remains. While the Fireworks Festival isn’t as good as it is in the GameCube Version, the Fishing Tourney improved. Score: +2
  • Special Visitors: I’m not necessarily a fan of them, but we would need them. They’re fine the way they are, but I would suggest some changes in them. Score: 0
  • Final Score: -0.160
While it needs improving, it doesn’t need much. While I’m glad that my favorite features are present, some needs to change, either because I want more, or because it’s a serious problem.

Anyway, that’s one full week of Old School Animal Crossing blogs. Since I have nothing else to say, that’s all I have here. Happy Old School Animal Crossing Week!

Back