• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I would love to experience a modern 'classic' Animal Crossing experience

Ryzon

Godfather
Bells
I only got into AC during new leaf and so I have only ever had experience with the more modern vision of what Animal Crossing is nowadays. But I would love to experience the more laid back Animal Crossings such as the gamecube version or Wild World edition. I want to just be a villager, living in this world with the other animals and feeling like a resident myself as opposed to being the mayor/god of the place.

Am I crazy? Were those versions just sucky and we're glad those days are gone, or would a remake of the GC or DS version go down well?

I know I could go and play the GC version or DS version now, but I mean what I say when I want a more modern classic, IE, a more graphically pleasing game with modern controller support.

Last edited:
Id love a modern wild world experience with some qol tweaks to it. Yeah it was a simple game, but I feel like that was the point. It also felt much slower than new leaf and new horizon. But it's dialog felt better though on paper, it was less varied. Maybe it was just balanced better? On paper new horizons has more varied dialog, but in game it doesn't feel that way at all.
I doubt Nintendo would remaster older ones, with how successful new horizons was and how it has a lot more content and what not.
Maybe eventually an indie dev may make a game similar to older ac games with a little improvement or a little more to it.

I don't think you're crazy at all ;_; I think it would be great if we could play these games on new systems... like the Wii U version of Wild World removes the online requirement, and if we were to get a version like that with better controls, maybe other things like an indication for watered flowers, it would be close to perfect. I don't see these older games as outdated or lacking in things to do at all either, since there's unique holidays and NPCs

I would LOVE some remastered versions of the first Animal Crossing games such as the GC version and Wild World. For New Leaf I would like a remake with new features etc., instead for the first AC and WW or City Folk I think a simple remastered with a great better graphic would be ideal to preserve the essence of these games without distorting them with the new features that came later.
(And then I like the vintage atmospheres)
No stress of decorating the town/island, no pressure, just a way to disconnect from the routine of real life to relax that hour with your villagers and their funny conversations

I'm not sure I want a 'classic minimal' Animal Crossing in HD graphics. But I do want the next game to feel slower and more relaxing, where things take longer to get unlocked and upgraded.

More specifically, I'd rather make sure each day has something interesting to look forward to. In past games, they made each day feel quite different in some kind of manner - differing tasks for villagers, changes in dialog, and something new hiding to be discovered. New Horizons lacks this element quite a lot compared to other titles, and progression is stagnant due to too much getting unlocked at once.

The reason animal crossing titles start to wear down over time is that the tasks and such become too repetitive and monotonous - You already have an idea of what will happen, and thus it will start to get boring. If there was a way to keep the interest going at a steady pace, you wouldn't feel so pressured or stressed to play just for the sake of it - and instead play because the game makes you want to play it for the comforting vibes.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH I WANT REMAKES OF THE OLDER GAMES! Especially GC, WW, and CF.

I can play all five, and they are still fun to play to this day. However, it would be an absolute dream to play improved versions of this games. Plus, it would be a massive help to bridge the gap between NH and the 6th mainline game (or between 6th and 7th, but that's too far away). These games should remain the same for the most part, but with better graphics, new features, and a bigger variety of dialogue.

I would also LOVE some features to be added that were not in the original counterparts, such as villager pictures (GC and City Folk), other rewards for befriending villagers, sickness (GC), traditional holidays (WW), etc.

I also think Amiibo functionality is a must, and it would be awesome to see NL and NH debutants in these games <333

@Shawna Have you considered trying Doubutsu no Mori e+? 👀 That's the Gamecube version of Animal Crossing with all the bells and whistles! Villagers get sick, 🤒 if you're good friends with them they call out to you when you're walking around, 👋 you can hold flowers in your hand, 🌹 you can take screenshots, 📸 the island is unlocked right away ⛵ and I believe you get to choose what color statue you want of yourself when you pay off your mortgage. 🤑

I have the physical game, but I think there exists a fan-made version in English on the internet somewhere. Perhaps look into that if you haven't tried it. Or if you have played it, whaddya think? Pretty cool, huh? 😁 You can even enter Tom Nook's shop after hours! 🚫🦝💤🚫

you're definitely not alone! it's so sad how nintendo hasn't done ANY remastered version of the gamecube version, and there's really no legal way of playing the older games if you don't physically have them. I hope for the next game they do what they did for pikmin; release remastered versions of the older games so new fans can still experience them! I've played all the games except gamecube, it's the one I wanna try the most.. pls nintendo let us play it!😫

I don't think you're crazy at all. Most that grew up playing the original or Wild World, or City Folk, etc should play a modern remaster. Pokémon does it every once in a while (some are better than others). However, for me personally, I probably wouldn't play it. I started with New Leaf and its still relatively new and many of my favourite villagers were introduced in New Leaf so playing an AC game without Drago or Phoebe, etc would make me feel sad and strange. To each their own though and I say Nintendo should at least try with one game, preferably the original Animal Crossing game.

I've played all the games except gamecube
Bruh, ain't no way you've played Dòngwù Sēnlín on the iQue Player. 🤯 The closest I've come to that is owning the Japanese N64 Animal Crossing, which is kinda like the Gamecube one. 🤔 Sooo... there's always that option for anyone out there unable to obtain the Gamecube version, I suppose... 😅

Bruh, ain't no way you've played Dòngwù Sēnlín on the iQue Player. 🤯 The closest I've come to that is owning the Japanese N64 Animal Crossing, which is kinda like the Gamecube one. 🤔 Sooo... there's always that option for anyone out there unable to obtain the Gamecube version, I suppose... 😅
lmaoo okay not every game! but unfortunately i've never owned an n64 either so it would probably be more difficult for me to get the japanese version, and the fact that i know like no japanese haha

Would I actually like to see a modern classic Animal Crossing?
Honestly, I've got pretty complicated feelings about it.

On one hand, Animal Crossing as a series turned 23 on the 14th of April, with the Japanese release of NL increasingly near the middle of it (looked it up, that date's on the third of June, which is in about 6 weeks time). If the next AC game's announced around then and it's more customisation-based it'll have been customisation-focussed longer than it's been about moving into a new town and just living in it... and that's honestly kind of depressing. Don't get me wrong, I like being able to put stuff out! I like being able to choose specific villagers! I like not having to endlessly reset for specific things (at the cost of me actually playing the damn thing). I just also think that the amount of control over the village this requires has ultimately been a bad thing in some ways. There isn't much in the way of friendship progression, because when you're essentially in charge of the damn place, they pretty much have to give you respect automatically. The world increasingly doesn't feel like it exists outside of you, it feels like it exists around your specific whims. It exists to be convenient for you. It exists to be a blank canvas to turn into whatever makes people on the internet go "ooh, look what this player's made", which is good for the interpersonal communication part of Animal Crossing, but bad for the idea of Animal Crossing As A World Of Its Own. It often ends up as something full of The Same Top-Tier Villagers As Everyone Else, and something that’s cute, sure… but it isn’t a forest village full of animals. I just want to wake up early on a summer morning and go do some aerobics with Copper. I just want to boot the game up on one random Saturday in September and you've got villagers competing in a sports fair (and on top of that, I want to actually compete in it!). I want to see villagers actually having picnics during Cherry Blossom season, or making igloos in the winter. I want campers to visit just for the fun of it during the summer, not because they're considering moving in! I want holiday events where the acquisition of event items hasn't been largely moved to the days beforehand, so the actual event can be completed in 15 minutes, then Never Again. I want something like sending money to Boondox, where it's clearly just a scam but hey, I can get some exclusive items out of it... or at the very least, something like turning on the lighthouse when Tortimer's on holiday. I want to trade items with NPCs to get a golden axe rather than "hey, you did thing x times, have a golden axe". And if I’m being honest, I would rather have this than “hey, you’re in charge of this place, cut every tree down and turn it into a theme park if you want, don't worry if you can't play every day because They're Not Going To Do Anything Without Your Permission", even if I'm also partially to blame for this shift in some small way.

On the other hand, is now specifically a good time to move back to the classic formula? Given NH has proven both successful and controversial in equal measure, feel as if right now specifically feels like an overcorrection to NH being so different it makes NL feel like a classic AC game in comparison, and in general it just feels like grovelling as opposed to the AC devs feeling emboldened by the success of NH, or them moving back to that formula because they actually want to do that, not to mention a big "screw you" to whoever started with NH that actually likes the damn thing (and although I’ve got mixed feelings about the thing, yeah, I like it a lot). It feels like it's playing it safe, especially if there's no big theme to glue it together like WW, NL and NH have. Even if it's trying to be a bigger, better version of WW (a game where the big overarching theme is "get to know the people in this crazy wild world we live in")... sure, it's been long enough since this was last done that it has the potential to feel fresh again, but it's been done. Is there a brand-new angle you can approach classic Animal Crossing from? Are there enough new angles that you can approach "move into a town" Animal Crossing from that it's feasible in the long term to continue doing this? If not, what's the point in making it aside from just "enough people got angry about NH that it's time for the series to go back to its roots"? The idea that Animal Crossing's somehow going to go even further into wild exotic locales and even more customisation's terrifying on its own merits, but the idea that Animal Crossing has to essentially tread water and make the same game forever, and can't do anything bold and interesting to shake things up's equally terrifying imo.

It's an alright idea- I can understand why somebody would want it, especially if Nintendo continues to steer the series in a more design-focused direction. I've really enjoyed city folk and dobutsu no mori e+, but I'd much rather get a new game that includes their features. I think it'd be a better idea for Nintendo to localize and release dobutsu no mori e+ as a virtual console / eshop game, and once players are more familiar with it then its unique features and villagers could be added into a newer game.

I would love a remake of the original Animal Crossing for this reason! Plus showing a new demographic what made the original so special.

If OP wants to try a good-looking "classic" experience I would say City Folk on the Wii is still very nice aesthetically! Despite not being super HD I think it's like Zelda: The Wind Waker in that the cartoony style helps it age better. I know people have their complaints about City Folk compared to the other games on (I can't comment since I haven't played the game for any extended period of time in over a decade), but it's still an Animal Crossing game!

I wholeheartedly agree with this, I'd really love the "classic" AC experience with a modern system, maybe with some QoL updates we've gotten more recently or the modern graphics.

Back