• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Project Café — CONFIRMED BY NINTENDO!

Tyeforce

Bells
With all the rumors of Nintendo's next console floating around, it's hard to keep track of everything, so I figured I'd make a thread that puts everything in one place. The following has been reported from various sources:

The Console
  • Codename is Project Caf?
  • Nintendo is considering naming the console "Stream", among other possible names
  • Built on revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture
  • Will out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor
  • CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset
  • Clocking speeds will be faster
  • RAM should be at least 512 Mb
  • 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well
  • Overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360
  • Likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Backwards compatible with Wii games and accessories
  • May also be backwards compatible with GameCube games
  • Will support Blu-ray discs
  • No Friend Codes

The Controller
  • Primary controller features a 6.2-inch capacitive touch screen display
  • Also has at least 8 buttons and dual analog control sticks
  • These include 2 shoulder buttons, 2 trigger buttons, and more, in addition to a D-pad
  • Mirrors GameCube controller in general function but not in specific form
  • Built-in camera
  • Supports streaming content from the console
  • Contains IR technology similar to the Wii Sensor Bar
  • Higher fidelity motion controls, though this may be referring to a separate, Wii Remote-like controller
  • Primary controller is no replacement for the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, which will also be fully supported
  • There may or may not be a new, updated Wii Remote-like controller in addition to the primary controller

General Information
  • To be released in 2012, sometime after April
  • Will be unveiled at this year's E3 with a playable demo
  • Retail cost possibly between $350 and $400
  • Will supposedly ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October
  • Third-party developers already have dev kits and are currently working on games for launch
  • This includes Square Enix, Capcom, Sega, Konami, Activision, Rockstar/Take Two, Electronic Arts, Namco and Ubisoft
  • Retro Studios was one of the first developers to receive a dev kit, and are working on "a project everyone wants [them] to do"
  • Grand Theft Auto 5 may be a launch title
  • Pikmin 3 may be pushed to the new system, possibly a launch title
  • Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid games are also in the works
  • A new Star Fox game is also in production
  • An engineer who was responsible for the PS3's Cell CPU and RSX GPU is working with Nintendo on the new system
  • Nintendo is researching tracking systems and head-mounted stereoscopic displays, though this doesn't mean that such technologies are going to be used in Nintendo's new console
  • Nintendo is looking to hire a new engineer to improve the online functionality of their systems, likely to revamp their online system for the new console

Bolded information has been confirmed by Nintendo.

Last edited:
IGN has reported that they can confirm the 6-inch touch screen, and also that the controller will mirror the GameCube controller in general function but not in specific form. I gotta see this controller... I can't even imagine what it would look like now!

B|

Yipee. Another console for me to wish I had bought instead of the Wii I had bought and don't use.

Thank you Tye, thank you.

Sounds like the controller itself is going to cost a lot. :/

That's a pretty good point actually.

A 6-inch touch screen is going to be a battery killer. If it is wireless, for the love god Nintendo, include your own form of charging this time x_x

This.
No Double A's and no making us buy our own chargers. >.>

That's a pretty good point actually.

A 6-inch touch screen is going to be a battery killer. If it is wireless, for the love god Nintendo, include your own form of charging this time x_x
That's just common sense. Of course Nintendo would include a rechargeable battery, probably with a charging dock as well, or at the very least make it be able to plug into the system and charge like the PS3.

I want wireless and wired controllers.

Wired controllers for when you forget to charge the wireless one and for games like Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart.

I want wireless and wired controllers.

Wired controllers for when you forget to charge the wireless one and for games like Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart.
Or just have a wireless controller that can also be plugged into the system directly to charge.

Hey guys, I heard the Wii successor can cure cancer and can create portals.

That's just common sense. Of course Nintendo would include a rechargeable battery, probably with a charging dock as well, or at the very least make it be able to plug into the system and charge like the PS3.
oh right, they just forgot to do that with the wii remote.

makes sense.

Back