• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Pokémon Versions - What determines which one you get?

What primarily determines which version you pick up?

• Character design (ex: Purple school uniform in Violet)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Version exclusives / Legendaries

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • The color associate with each version

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Minor changes to the plot line in each version

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I get the version opposite of a friend (ex: Ex: Friend gets Moon, I get Sun)

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I end up getting both versions eventually, so these things don’t matter.

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
I usually went with whatever name and legendary I liked better. Nowadays, I'll still do that but also check version exclusives since I don't know many people who play Pokemon much to trade with me anymore. I can always trade online but I found that harder for some reason since most people wanted more than what I could give.

The color! 💕 I wanted the pink Pokémon game so I got pearl (the switch remaster)! Still haven’t had a chance to play it though….

Usually the mascot legendary and such. I mean sure you can probably get a genned on from Surprise/wonder trade etc. but yeah mainly that. And if there are exclusives I really like, I might go for that version too.

I pick the one with the version exclusives and Legendary Pokemon I prefer. I normally get both versions of the games to obtain version exclusives for completing the Pokedex, but now that most Pokemon games on the Switch are 60 bucks, I likely will not buy the second versions. The main series games don't have significant differences in plot, though I pick the one with the theme I like better. For instance, I chose Scarlet over Violet because of the past theme and the orange uniform color appealed to me. There are also some miscellaneous differences that might influence my choice, like I bought Sword instead of Shield because I liked the version-exclusive Gym Leaders in that game better.

I really dislike how they always made two versions and seperated the Pokemon. Even thought they are marketed as the same game most people think they are different games sooo I never liked the excuse. I always just choose which one I like better colorwise. lets go though I chose Eevee cause he my baby!

I always look at the exclusive Pokemon and whatever version has the more liked selection for me, I get.
However the last game I bought was shield. I don't foresee myself buying another pokemon game tbh.

I actually like to plan my teams beforehand getting the games, I might change plans while actually playing but the exclusives are what seals the deal for me, that's also why I don't mind getting the Dex spoiled (in fact I do want to know each Mon as soon as I can)

I first got Red and ever since then I just chose the version that is always listed first in each set (Gold, Ruby, Diamond, etc.). In Gen VIII I changed this up because Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash were Shield exclusives. This pained me because Zacian is my favorite legendary, but...Galarian Rapidash is my favorite Pokemon altogether, so it overrode that. lol

In Gen IX I had no strong opinions and just went with Scarlet like I traditionally have.

I started off with Diamond and then just chose the default version of every game until Black 2 then I stopped playing for a while. Picked up Sword last year and now moving forward I think it's a combination of the box legendary and the color of the game. I picked up Violet cause of Miraidon and also cause its ourple

I think in general the games are often a blue color vs a red color (except black and white), so I just go with the blue schemed ones as they turn out to always be my favorite ones.

Typically the legendary/box art is what does it for me. Or the theme of the game. Originally I thought it was the colour scheme of the game as I usually always picked the cool coloured games like blues and purples but gen 9 made me realize it’s more so the overall theme and the legendary.

For gen 9 I actually chose the warm coloured game Scarlet as I adore Kodridon. Miraidon is ok but I don’t understand why so many people like it more than Koraidon. I also love the past theme more so than the future one of Violet.

For gen 5 I remember choosing Black/Black2 over White/White2. It wasn’t really for the legendary as you got one in the first game and the opposite one in the sequel, but I thought the heavier city theme in black made more sense than the more rural theming of white. Normally I’d prefer a rural setting as I’m not a city person but gen 5 just felt so city like so I felt the couple areas that were more rural themed in white didn’t fit as well personally. I also found it weird that you had a “city” in white that was actually a forest instead even if people argue it’s better than black city.

It tends to be a mix of the version exclusives and the mascot legendary for me. If I’m not too fussed on the former, then the legendary tends to dictate where I go. A example of that would be Sun and Moon-I prefer Lunala a little over Solgaleo, but 90% of my preffered exclusives were in Sun, so I chose that version.

Usually works out like this for all of them. Except Omega Ruby-It wasn’t in stock when my parent went to buy it, so I received Alpha Sapphire instead. I didn’t really mind anyway.~

It's usually the "color" or "thing" associated with it because I always have a way to trade for the exclusives.

Usually I get whatever the first one in the name is, like Gold or X

version exclusives but also i get so annoyed when o can't have the other ones not in the version i buy, so is this the best thing to care a lot about? 🤣 not a clue

As a kid I would coordinate which game I got with my Dad. As an adult I coordinated with an ex-girlfriend. In both cases I almost always got the one with the colder colour artwork.

The exception was Scarlet. The game was bought for me as a gift, but they knew which version I was after. That primarily came down to preferring the more prehistoric look to futuristic.

Almost always the blue-ish one, just by virtue of my sister preferring reds/pinks while I prefer blues!
The exception was Ruby/Sapphire, wherein my sister like Kyogre more (and I think generally just "Sapphires" more) and as the younger sibling sometimes you get second pick. cough. but its fine i like ruby

I typically have friends I can trade with to get the version exclusives I want, so those don't tend to play into my decision.

Version exclusives and legendaries are usually the deciding factor for me. If one version has an exclusive Pokémon that I really like, then I'll definitely choose that version

Back