• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Pokémon Versions - What determines which one you get?

What primarily determines which version you pick up?

• Character design (ex: Purple school uniform in Violet)

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Version exclusives / Legendaries

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • The color associate with each version

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Minor changes to the plot line in each version

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I get the version opposite of a friend (ex: Ex: Friend gets Moon, I get Sun)

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I end up getting both versions eventually, so these things don’t matter.

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
In order of importance as a deciding factor:

1. Name
2. Color
3. How much I like the cover legendary

I’ve gotten pretty lucky with the version I pick usually having the exclusives I really want (except for Pearl having no Stunky. sad). If there was an exclusive I just *had* to have for my playthrough it might sway me to pick the other version but it hasn’t happened yet.
Post automatically merged:

Also shoutout to Sun and Moon for making clothing colors version exclusive. 😑 RIP all the pink stuff being in Sun…

I've been out of the Pokemon scene for quite some time now, but I traditionally bought both games. For my "main" game, usually I pick whichever game has the version exclusives that I want to use for my personal in-game team. By this point, I've felt kind of meh towards the series, so if I ever buy another game, it'll probably just be based on exclusives.

Normally, I just get whichever version my uncle doesn't get. He got Moon, so I got Sun. He got Sword, so I got Shield. Although we both wound up getting Scarlet, so there's that.

Tbh the cover legendary is the main thing because u see it every time u boot the game

you can trade easily for everything else, except menu ui and outfits (and the time switch in gen 7), but those aren’t a part of my favorite gens anyway. Except oras switching the evil teams, but honestly with oras i would be really happy with either version (i still went sapphire for the record).

It really bothers me how much i prefer black kyurem, but prefer the w2 reversal mountain (it adds a much more unique biome for the region and fits heatran better)

The colors associated with the version. Normally in the past I would choose whatever version that sounded best to me, but now I kinda choose the version that is blue. Sword, Violet, Ultra Moon, etc. etc.

Typically I go by version exclusives, with a higher bias towards the legendaries cuz I can usually trade the other mons pretty easily. SwSh was tough cuz I like Zacian the most, but LOVED eiscue and galarian corsola/cursola.

Version exclusives but I feel like I unintentionally get swayed by what most other people are picking and end up regretting it

Version exclusive pokes, the legendary, sometimes the vibe itself (lol), I was weighed towards Violet because of the outfits even

Mainly whichever one has more version-exclusive Pokémon that I like more, but I'll also take some thematic elements into account when I choose too. White/White 2 were my Gen 5 picks largely because I prefer rustic/forest-y locations to futuristic cities—and while I haven't gotten Scarlet yet, it's the version I plan to get because I much prefer the past theme over Violet's future theme.

Oddly, this usually winds up going against my preferred colors. I love blues, purples, and cool tones, but I almost always wind up choosing the warm/red Pokémon version. I think the only exception to that so far is Pokémon X.

Version exclusives and legendaries play a big part in my decision but I’ve also grown up playing the games with my oldest brother so we try and pick opposite games - generally he leans towards the ‘red’ ones and I prefer the ‘blue’, except sun and moon where we both somehow ended up getting sun

It's pretty much just the legendaries for me. Version exclusives I tend not to even pay attention to until I'm completing the dex, but I feel attached to the legendary in the game I choose and not ones I trade for. I also tend to (not on purpose mind you) choose the less popular version.

With Scarlet and Violet though, this did make a big impact - I felt pretty equal about the legendaries at first, and like a lot of people I liked Violet for Miraidon, but when I saw all the past forms vs. the future forms, I hopped over to Scarlet. Super glad I did since I think Koraidon's characterisation as this legendary dinosaur you have throughout the whole game works a lot better than Miraidon.

Back