• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on Marijuana: Are you for or against? A user yourself?

I've only tried tobacco (nasty af) but I've never tried weed and I have nothing against using it if used for medicinal or recreational use. I am however against this mentality of people who just talk about their smoking habits, like no one cares my dude. The smell of it isn't really nice either, plus its illegal here although I did read an article yesterday on the BBC that medical cannabis is available on prescription.

Last edited:
it smells SO BAD and my boyfriend’s room REEKS of it because of the guy who lives next door

I don't smoke myself, but if other people want to, then by all means, they should be allowed to. I fully support the legalization of marijuana, as it's not like other drugs. The whole stigma against marijuana was created by people way back in the day, most of which are now dead, and times have changed since then.

I've used it myself many times, I was raised around people using it for medical reasons and so it was normalized for me for that reason. I primarily use it for anxiety management, and it genuinely helps with that. The stigma around it really sucks, although I live in Canada and the stigma is less common here than I think it is for some countries.

Obviously if I use it, I'm for it. While there are definitely some downsides (mostly chronic cough being the big one), I wouldn't say they're any worse than the ones associated with alcohol, and they are certainly less bad than the ones associated with cigarettes, so I don't think it should be illegal. I also don't think it should be illegal because I think people getting arrested just for having drugs and choosing to take them themselves, regardless of if they're dangerous or not, is anti-body autonomy.

I've smoked marijuana recreationally and looking for relief from chronic pain. It isn't the THC that helps the pain, it's the CBD, so I've stopped smoking THC-heavy marijuana and I've started using CBD oil and gummies. It doesn't make me high because of the lack of THC but sometimes it helps me sleep a little better. My mom won't let me smoke hemp cigs in the house so I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Medical marijuana is still so expensive. The recreational stuff loaded with THC is still fun sometimes though. I've smoked it with my boyfriend and we've played video games and watched Doctor Who while 'blitzed'. It causes no harm and leaves behind no hangover or anything. The only potential problem is if you have asthma - it could irritate your bronchial tubes and make you cough/choke (but apparently, the more you cough, the higher you get).

I’m completely for the legalization of it, medically or recreationally. I haven’t and would never try it in any form though.

I grew up in the projects where everyone smoked anything, and I’ve dealt with the people who do nothing but talk about weed, had tons of friends who couldn’t take care of their animals or pay rent, but always had weed money. Where I lived people barely even differentiate between synthetic and real marijuana, I have no idea what’s banned on this forum, but obviously there is nothing similar between spice and weed. Knew people who raided houses when people got arrested by the cops, or when ambulances were called. Dealt with people asking me all the time to smoke with them, money beggars, etc etc. And straight up the two worst smells in life are cat p*** and weed.

I know that’s not the majority of users, and the people I grew up around were mixing weed with way worse substances, but man, I hate the atmosphere. I don’t even like being friends with people who smoke at this point, but they should be allowed to smoke all they want !

I would never use it and I hate the smell but really it's not my business if other people are going to use it or not. Especially for medical reasons.

As long as you aren't getting high everyday and doing nothing with your life or driving high or something, I don't care what you do.

I'm not a big user myself but I have vaped weed before and it's a decently enjoyable time. Not something I'm heavily into though.

Definitely NOT! I don't see why people think it's good for medical purposes. Too many people have gotten into car accidents with the stuff. I'm staying CLEAR away from it. >:c

I have nothing against smoking it in moderation and I don’t think people should have a criminal record for smoking/eating it.
I personally have not done it. While it does help with anxiety, pain and other benefits just like other drugs may, they are often addictive and cause health issues (psychosis, lung cancer). There’s also a reason why people try to quit drugs (including smoking and alcohol) to develop healthier coping skill. So yeah I’m ok with it to an extent but like everything, moderation is the key

This thread was definitely not made by an undercover cop

omg i was still funny two years ago

anyway my actual opinion; i don't smoke it and have no interest since i have trauma related to my lungs/breathing, but i believe it should be decriminalized and i believe everyone imprisoned for possession should be released and have it wiped from their record.

Definitely NOT! I don't see why people think it's good for medical purposes. Too many people have gotten into car accidents with the stuff. I'm staying CLEAR away from it. >:c

you're not supposed to drive while under the influence, it's the same with alcohol. as for medical purposes, it can be a pain reliever and help with anxiety.

you're not supposed to drive while under the influence, it's the same with alcohol. as for medical purposes, it can be a pain reliever and help with anxiety.

Right... but I still rather not use it... :/

I've used before, partially have quit due to as quoted by Cheech "Responsibility is a heavy responsibility." But it was never anything that I've ever been against. If there was a petition to have it legalized at least in part of medicinal I would sign easy. The only gripe I have on part with it is to some it's a gateway to much worser things, but despite that it's one that I still favor amongst them completely. It helps you sleep, it satiates any stress, and it all around I feel is more medicinal as is even now after I've quit.

I have never and will never use it, but I have known others who have and it has been a big help to them in dealing with mental health issues. I view it as no different from tobacco or alcohol. Yes, it is a drug. Yes, it can impair you and should be used in moderation. Yes, it should be properly regulated if legalized to make sure that people are not a danger to themselves or others. But if tobacco and alcohol are legal, I see no reason why marijuana shouldn't be legal as well.

i'd argue affordable access to legal green would cut down on experimental street drug use and curtail people taking risks with more potent things not meant for recreation like benzodiazepines and opiods.

i require narcotics for pain, so it'd be nice to shunt psychonauts to plants so they stop making it more difficult for those of us with terminal illness and severe pain conditions to obtain hospital grade pain relief.

Last edited:
I have nothing against smoking it in moderation and I don’t think people should have a criminal record for smoking/eating it.
I personally have not done it. While it does help with anxiety, pain and other benefits just like other drugs may, they are often addictive and cause health issues (psychosis, lung cancer). There’s also a reason why people try to quit drugs (including smoking and alcohol) to develop healthier coping skill. So yeah I’m ok with it to an extent but like everything, moderation is the key

Hi! I just wanted to say that it's important to remember that it's good to fact-check before you make claims on how marijuana effects health. While I will say that there is some link between marijuana and psychosis, the research about marijuana and lung cancer isn't really at a point where you can definitively say that marijuana use increases the risk of lung cancer. That's not to say there aren't other ways to damage the lungs with smoking or vaping marijuana, but lung cancer specifically hasn't really been proven, at least not from the scientific articles and papers I've been able to find. (I also think this is a good time to mention that marijuana can be consumed through ways that don't require inhalation, like edibles, meaning that if someone wanted to use it but didn't want the potential for lung damage, avoiding marijuana entirely wouldn't be necessary)

Not trying to be nit-picky or start arguments, it's just that because of the stigma of marijuana, I think it's important to make sure to fact-check any claims about it to make sure we don't accidentally add stigma where there doesn't need to be.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I definitely think that driving high is a big issue, but can I ask what reasons you have against medical use besides driving? In my case, I use it medicinally and I don't have a car, so my chances of driving high are 0.

Hi! I just wanted to say that it's important to remember that it's good to fact-check before you make claims on how marijuana effects health. While I will say that there is some link between marijuana and psychosis, the research about marijuana and lung cancer isn't really at a point where you can definitively say that marijuana use increases the risk of lung cancer. That's not to say there aren't other ways to damage the lungs with smoking or vaping marijuana, but lung cancer specifically hasn't really been proven, at least not from the scientific articles and papers I've been able to find. (I also think this is a good time to mention that marijuana can be consumed through ways that don't require inhalation, like edibles, meaning that if someone wanted to use it but didn't want the potential for lung damage, avoiding marijuana entirely wouldn't be necessary)

Not trying to be nit-picky or start arguments, it's just that because of the stigma of marijuana, I think it's important to make sure to fact-check any claims about it to make sure we don't accidentally add stigma where there doesn't need to be.

Right thank you for pointing that out. I do think that edibles are a safer alternative to smoking which is why I should have talked about smoking in particular. As for fact checking, I think the reviews are mixed. Some resources say the research found a link, others think it doesn’t cause lung cancer but might lead to other respiratory diseases. I’d be interested in reading about your resources as well. I’m personally sceptical that it does not have any negative respiratory effect seeing how a few of the chronic cannabis smokers I know have a really bad cough.

As for psychosis I some people in this thread have mentioned having hallucinations while using it themselves

I think smoking is pretty nasty but marijuana itself doesn't really have any bad side effects so go off i guess. I'd maybe try it if it isn't in a smoking form

Last edited:
Back