• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Opinion on people begging Nintendo for more custom design slots

I personally think they should add more. I think if they doubles it to 80 spots that would be great! With the popularity of ACNH, there are tons of great custom designs, and some can take up to 9 spots or more! I think adding more would allow players to customize their island even more!

I really want more slots... I had to give up a volleyball sand court design (about 8 slots if I remember correctly) so I could create more windows for my Italian look! I'm going to have to try and create my own court now, without the use of custom design slots. No idea if its even possible lol

But yeah, OP was incredibly rude, there is nothing wrong with wanting something more from a game that you payed a lot for

I personally think they should add more. I think if they doubles it to 80 spots that would be great! With the popularity of ACNH, there are tons of great custom designs, and some can take up to 9 spots or more! I think adding more would allow players to customize their island even more!

I was so excited about using my old qr codes from HHD and NL, but when I found out that I needed a subscription to download them, not to mention I can’t hang up mine or any old design at able’s (unless original designer recreated them in NH) for my villagees to wear, I was really ticked off (thankfully I had a gift card that covered rhe subscription otherwise I’d have to wait until Christmas probably since i can’t get a job). Now, more so realizing (now that I’ve been using more designs) how few slots we were given. I haven’t used all of my slots yet, but I plan on to eventually when I have more ideas. Regardless, I understand and agree with people wanting more. As everyone else said, people can get so creative with the way they use designs (regardless if they made them themselves or not). It’s a shame to not let people to expand on the ideas in this game since to me being creative and seeing other people’s designs is what makes this game so fun (I love decorating even if I’m not the best at it).

So, I saw a reply on Nintendo telling them they want more custom design slots.

To me, I find it completely dumb. Why would someone ever beg Nintendo for more custom design slots?

Before any of you yelling at me for disagreeing, I never played New Horizons and I mostly play older games (PG, WW, and NL).

In Population Growing, Wild World, and City Folk, there are only eight slots.

And in New Leaf, there are ten.

Usually in New Leaf whenever they ran out of custom design slots being used, they make a placeholder human player for one purpose: More design slots. And that totally is a waste of time.

Not only that, if Nintendo DID gave you more custom design slots, like say, 200-600ish, chances are, you're probably looking for that one design you made or have, and wasted some time. Heck, you can't even search in an entire pool of designs that you made or scanned.

One even made a petition of unlimited custom design slots, which is physically impossible. There's gonna be a limitation of some kind anyway, like, say, using Google Drive or MediaFire. Even though the space is real big, there's gotta be limits.

And in New Horizons, you don't even have to create another human islander for more custom designs, because each human islander is given 50 custom design slots. That is five times the custom design slots you could only have in New Leaf, so there is no such need to waste time to make an entirely new player and get more designs.

Now, I understand you wanted to use custom designs just to make your island stand out of the crowd, but they did gave you a built-in path feature, so use it, because using the built-in path feature will conserve more design slots, and you don't need to use the custom design paths, because some paths are seperated into different parts, which will take up too much space.

So, in short, begging Nintendo for extra custom design slots is pretty dumb because it can waste time and space.

Overall, even though I didn't play New Horizons, I think 50 is a good number, and it does actually saves time from the embarassment of making another player for the sake of custom design slots.

So remember that if you're complaining about the custom design space, be grateful that you're given 50 design slots, which is a lot more than just eight.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

To be honest your entire argument is uninformed. You haven't played the and yet you somehow know 50 slots is enough. Okay, the give you parth already. They look like garbage so if you want to get custom edges to over on one type of path you need 14 slots to be able to put trim around ONE type of path. You might be fine with your paths looking unfinished and a sucky aesthetic but some people like their islands to not look exactly like everyone else. Also how is it a waste of time to have more custom slots. Who's time is it wasting? Basically your argument is "DON'T ASK FOR MORE CUSTOM SLOTS. JUST MAKE EVERYONE'S ISLANDS HOMOGENOUS." Also you don't get another 50 slot for a second islander.

So, I saw a reply on Nintendo telling them they want more custom design slots.

To me, I find it completely dumb. Why would someone ever beg Nintendo for more custom design slots?

Before any of you yelling at me for disagreeing, I never played New Horizons and I mostly play older games (PG, WW, and NL).

In Population Growing, Wild World, and City Folk, there are only eight slots.

And in New Leaf, there are ten.

Usually in New Leaf whenever they ran out of custom design slots being used, they make a placeholder human player

be grateful that you're given 50 design slots, which is a lot more than just eight.

Now, you know what is really dumb? Talking about a game as if you know why people are disappointed without even playing it.

I don’t care if there are only 8-10 slots in older games where you can only design your house instead of an whole island, sorry but you are comparing apples with pears here.

Take one Path for example, I use one that „only“uses up 12 slots from my 50, before I used one that I really loved, but it used up 24 of the provided slots and with a game that is kinda one of the more expansive games, you shouldn‘t have to make such a compromise. Why I need those pathes? Let me guess, like all the animal crossing new horizons players I am just spoiled right? No, the existing pathes are not well designed and their transition into the grass is hard and doesn’t look good.

See, if you had read into the topic a bit before writing about it, you would have known, that you‘ll share your design slots with other players on your island, so nothing like a placeholding human player.

Again this „well we only had 10... we had it harder!“ congrats, but that has nothing to do with anything? So everybody who is disappointed because a game has ugly and/or outdated graphics isn’t allowed to say something because people had minesweeper and Dosgames before? So because before there was only snake as a mobilephone game people aren’t allowed to speak out because a game only works with in app purchases nowadays? You get it right?

There is so much wrong in Animal Crossing new Horizons like „hey we‘ll make a game that updates over and over so there will always be new stuff“ just that the „new stuff“ is allready in their older games.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy animal crossing new horizons but it is far from a perfect game and more on the „most income for less work“ side then on the „fanservice“ side of games and I don’t think we should always let the companies get away with stuff like that. Heck when, let’s say 80% of the customers say they desperately need more slots, then there is a reason for that.

Last edited:
I am fine with the current amount of design slots that we have but I can understand why someone would want more. I see no problem with suggesting to Nintendo about adding more design slots especially if it would be something simple to do and haven't other gaming companies fixed something the players found annoying?

while i agree more slots would be beneficial i dont see any reason to raise the slots. New Leaf only offered a fraction of what new horizons has and people were complaining back then which was reasonable. Now they added more, people are still complaining. Humans are greedy and not easily satisfied really.

I think just adding the same amount of slots per character would solve a lot of complaining. Honestly the main problem is, what if you share an island with 4 people, you’d all barely get a handful
and if other characters had the same amount of slots people could make pattern mules again

I'm okay with the current amount of available slots actually, but that's because I barely use any custom designs. I do understand people however who would like to have more, I just doubt that Nintendo will add any more slots to be honest.

me being someone who very often makes custom designs and such, would definitely love some more custom design slots. ive played previous games as well, and im completely grateful for all the current design slots in NH, much rather than a measly 8-10 slots, but in all honesty it was really hard for anyone to use all the custom designs they wanted without having to create a new character on previous games. some people didn’t want to have to make extra characters, but there were so little custom design slots that that’s all we could depend on doing. it’s especially worse when one path alone takes up all 10 slots or more (referring to NL) and then we didn’t even have room for any other design slots that we would’ve wanted for our town. NH offers much more, but in the end with all the island space, and the creativity that is the design world, it still isn’t enough. what you would call a “single path” could probably take up a 5th of all the current custom design slots or more, not taking in to account all the other “single paths” or just designs in general you’d want to add on your island. not to mention making another character wouldnt help, since they all share the same amount of design slots. taking in the creativity that NH has to offer, especially when it comes to the leisure and overall better graphics for custom designs, leaves more room for new ideas that couldn’t have been done in previous games due to the limitations. all these new ideas can fill up the design slots very easily, and yet it still won’t be enough to fully design your island with if you plan on doing some complex, and making pretty much every area different. the ones they already made for us are nice, but they don’t fit everyone’s overall theme, nor do they express any individuality or differences if everyone were to use them on their island. everybody wants their island to look different, to stand out among the rest, to express themselves. ive been to countless islands, and i can’t say that any of them resemble each other at all. people enjoy the custom creativity that they’re free to show on their island. some extra design slots to achieve this couldn’t hurt. im not forcing them nor am i even telling them to make more custom design slots, but im sure that myself and everyone else who’s big on decorating and filling their island with custom designs would appreciate it.

i completely forgot about this thread LOL but looks like the begging worked after all. 😉

This thread is amazing to read back now lol

I'm at least very glad we have more slots nowadays!

tbh even as a pixel artist who exclusively uses ONLY patterns I drew myself, I've already almost maxed out the new outfit slots lmao.

honestly if there was a paid dlc to unlock even more, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That, or if we could save designs to an sd card or something to store old designs we don't need in the game (such as out-of-season clothes), but don't want to delete completely :unsure:

I love having custom design slots because it gives more freedom with what I want to do with my island. Some custom paths require over sixteen design slots and that’s including the borders. Luckily, I’ve been using the sand path for my island which has a tropical resort theme, so it doesn’t use up any custom pattern slots.

I've ran out of design slots so I want more... again lol.

Custom designs can very easily be used in this game. And its a great thing because it means we can all make our islands how we like them.

Seems strange that anyone would say people shouldn't want more if they've ran out.

Glad nintendo listened and gave them to us.
It made a huge difference to my island.

I've ran out of design slots so I want more... again lol.

Custom designs can very easily be used in this game. And its a great thing because it means we can all make our islands how we like them.

Seems strange that anyone would say people shouldn't want more if they've ran out.

Glad nintendo listened and gave them to us.
It made a huge difference to my island.

i ran out of slots, too... it'd be great if we got EVEN more :3

Back