• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Opinion on people begging Nintendo for more custom design slots

why is this a debate, people are allowed to request for a game to be improved. new horizons is great, but it has a LOT of room for improvement, not just with this

This. Interesting random essay and I don't know about others, but for me money has value especially when I worked my ass off for it. If I feel like I didn't quite get my money's worth when I buy something, I have every right to complain. As do others. It hasn't reached Pokémon levels of criticism for me, but I still think Nintendo can and should do better, listening to the fans, in particular when New Horizons was such a massive success in sales. Defending having less content and fewer options in a video game will only hurt its franchise's evolution in the long run and you as the player.

As for the actual custom design slots, I'm not a big buff on those but I have started to try some designs as paths and I can see why people want more space. A single set of designs for one path style takes up multiple slots and you can run out fast, around 3 path sets at most. I prefer to use the in-game paths mostly because they have sound effects, but they don't look nearly as nice as some custom ones and there's only so much you can do with them. I also refuse to use the dirt ones as paths because flowers can spread onto them and pulling out weeds is already enough of a chore.

That's my two cents.

I don't mind the number of custom design slots that are available. What does bother me is the fact that they removed the ability to store designs. So you essentially have less space to store designs in NH than you do in the previous games.

Is there some pushback to requests for more design slots? Why? The design slots are a great feature, people really enjoy them, expanding the slots would allow people to use the feature to its full potential and it would hardly break the memory bank.

Last edited:
Well this entire post just sounds super judgmental. I don't know why anyone would be so passionately against people wanting more design slots. Just cuz it's more than what we had before, doesn't mean it's enough. Why is it dumb for people to want custom designs instead of using pre-existing paths? Why is it dumb for people to want to make an extra character? Why is it dumb for people to make a request for things they like. Why dictate how others should feel about a game you don't even play? Some people don't need this many design slots, and others do. I think it's pointless to call people dumb just because you feel there's no need for certain features. Let people want what they want and play how they want. We don't really need more judgment in this world, especially for a game.

I don't think people who want more from the game are "vilified," but I do think that there is a tendency on gaming forums for there to be posters who don't really know how to word their critiques in a way that doesn't put other people down, usually in a passive aggressive way. It's almost as if for every one poster of thoughtful, constructive criticism or feature request there seems to be five bitter, relentlessly negative and, yes, whiny posters who only seem to want to make other players as miserable as they are. I moderated a very large gaming forum for six years and the mod team referred to these posters as "threadcrappers." They routinely derailed conversations to bring topics around to whatever their personal hobbyhorse was and generally contributed nothing of value. When that kind of poster is loud enough or prolific enough, it heightens sensitivity to critical discussion and actually causes folks to drown it out by posting in the opposing direction: toxic positivity, where criticism is scarcely tolerated at all. Interesting, discussion-generating critical posts do still occur here but the situation I described is something I see here every day.

...Also, we're all stuck indoors and failing to take into account how hypersensitive and unhappy we've all become as a result of having fewer outlets for self-expression/tension release. So when the newest installment of a beloved game doesn't somehow meet, to say nothing of exceed, all expectations, the responses can be disproportionate to the stimulus. IMO, anyway.

I do find your reply quite thoughtful and informative, I couldn't agree with you more and I'm sorry that you'd have to go through that on the daily with modding! I can see where the expression of toxic positivity comes from, and it's true, as it doesn't provide anything of value to the conversation and if anything, it completely overshadows it. I personally think it's enjoyable if anything to see how people feel about the game and what they'd like to change because truly, nothing is perfect. The live service nature of the game just makes up for the perfect opportunity of discussion, which is something that should be welcomed but of course, never in a negative or sensitive manner. But I can see how it could be difficult to word things properly, especially in the situation we are right now! We all have one goal after all! And that's seeing Animal Crossing become the best it can be!

I have lots of custom pictures of plants & mushrooms on the walls of my house and they take up so many spaces in my custom designs. And I still need space for my paths so it's become tricky picking & choosing which designs to erase.

I'm sure they will slowly add more spots to everything, just like Pocket Camp. People just want more options to be creative :giggle:

I ran out of custom design space pretty quickly and I would love some more, but it's not an absolute necessity. It's definitely a huge step up from previous games, so I'm super happy about that. As for home storage, I have plenty of it, I definitely don't need any more.

You said you think 50 slots is enough for you and that is great, but surely it wont have any negative impact on you if they added more for those who need them. Dont forget that these 50 slots are shared between all 8 players so it is not that much even if it is more than nl.

You say having many slots would waste time while you are looking for one particular design, but i don't think the solution is to not have more, or to have as little as possible. Maybe they can implement a better searching mechanism instead? To be honest, i dont use custom designs so i dont know how that works. I use the default paths but not every one likes them, and why would players even need to limit themselves in such a way in a game that is about customization. I hope i am not coming across as if i am bashing you, because i promise that is not my intention, so forgive me if it did sound like that.

I majorly disagree. I love custom designs, and there are already so many great ones that i'd love to use but can't. I also don't understand the counterargument - if I'm willing to spend hours upon hours saving designs on twitter/instagram/tumblr/whatever that I might never be able to use, I'm willing to spend a few seconds or even minutes searching for my saved designs in my nookphone.

Do I think it's super likely that Nintendo will add more slots (or even acknowledge that people want more)? Nope, I'm not holding my breath But it would be nice, and I see absolutely no downsides. And lots of people's favorite part of the game is creating designs like these for other people to use, so it's absolutely reasonable for them to want more slots.

Eventhough more custom design slots are always welcome, I actually don't mind creating another character for the custom design slots as I'm using the extra house itself as a building anyways. Custom designs for me at least, are so much more than just laying down paths. You can put up cool shop signs, pictures for your bedroom, doormats for villagers, the list goes on. I think we're certainly not entitled to more slots as it is an upgrade from previous games but either way if nintendo chooses not to add more or does add more, I'm okay with how things are

I always wonder why people complain about people wanting things out of New Horizons? Are people not allowed to want more out of it? People can feel like the game is bare-bones, which it is since it's just the bare game and we've only gotten two updates. People can feel like there's little storage, which there is considering if someone is a hoarder, you won't be able to put everything there. People can feel like there are little custom design slots, which there are. I'm running out of slots myself because I like to beautify everything.

So really, why are people that want more out of this game vilified? It's always like this in so many threads. People can have their personal opinions and can provide feedback, which is how things grow and advance after all. Let people have opinions, please. Providing feedback is not "being ungrateful", which gets thrown around a lot.
I guess some people think Nintendo is perfect or something or hate when others talk bad about Animal Crossing (not directing this at OP) so all they can come up with is "just love it no matter what." And it's like, no, if it sucks, it sucks. I'm not ignoring things or giving stuff a pass because it's Nintendo or because it's Animal Crossing. People are allowed to have gripes with stuff they purchased.

I don't know if Nintendo is aware but most path designs come with 8 slots which is crazy if you have more than one of those types of designs. The slots get filled up rather quick. I'm happy they gave us a bit more slots but it's still not enough for a game that's fully about island customization.
Post automatically merged:

This. Interesting random essay and I don't know about others, but for me money has value especially when I worked my ass off for it. If I feel like I didn't quite get my money's worth when I buy something, I have every right to complain. As do others. It hasn't reached Pokémon levels of criticism for me, but I still think Nintendo can and should do better, listening to the fans, in particular when New Horizons was such a massive success in sales. Defending having less content and fewer options in a video game will only hurt its franchise's evolution in the long run and you as the player.

As for the actual custom design slots, I'm not a big buff on those but I have started to try some designs as paths and I can see why people want more space. A single set of designs for one path style takes up multiple slots and you can run out fast, around 3 path sets at most. I prefer to use the in-game paths mostly because they have sound effects, but they don't look nearly as nice as some custom ones and there's only so much you can do with them. I also refuse to use the dirt ones as paths because flowers can spread onto them and pulling out weeds is already enough of a chore.

That's my two cents.

I fully agree! Couldn't have said it better myself! I want the game to be better. If nobody says anything, we're just going to continue getting the bare minimum and I personally am not okay with that, especially with how expensive video games are now.

Last edited:
I personally find it strange that the limit is 50 slots on the Switch, not per player. When you could have a whole family playing, with multiple members with multiple interests, each player should really be able to have a good amount of custom designs for their own, not to share with the family. While I understand that there are technical limits Nintendo must deal with, leaving families to share custom design spots really doesn't make too much sense to me game-play wise.

With such a focus on design, my main gripe with the way AC:NH handles designs is that creators can't create unlimited numbers of designs to share. With New Leaf, even if a creator removed a QR code design from their game, the QR code was still usable by others so long as they had access to the code. With New Horizons, if a creator removes a creator code from their profile, it's no longer accessible by the public. Especially with new online functionalities added to the creator code system, why couldn't Nintendo have kept a slot limit but allowed for unlimited shared designs by creators, even if they delete the original design?

I feel like that would have been the best way to deal with the custom design slots.

I think having infinite amount of custom designs is absurd, but I disagree. I feel like we need more custom slots in ACNH! In NL, we were limited because we didn’t have all the new updates like placing furniture outside. Also, another big update is that we get to customize! Some of my custom design slots are for simple panels and stalls, and since there weren’t anything to customize in NL, ofcourse we would need more slots in NH than in NL.

We pay for the game and if we want custom designs we pay for online too. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and people do this will all games; fortnite, call of duty etc. Unsure if Nintendo will ever actually act on something they’ve read on social media but if enough people complain maybe they’ll do something about it. I personally haven’t filled my custom slots but I think that’s because I use most of the paths given..

but I do understand the need for other people, if I could be bothered I would do path outlines etc but I’m honestly I’m a very lazy decorater aaaand I love to keep thinks kinda minimalistic!

I'm so confused by this argument. You say it's dumb that people want more custom design slots but you haven't played NH, thereby you're missing out on the experiences/challenges which prompt people to want more slots. That's like saying it's dumb that people want multiple pets when you've personally never owned a pet yourself.
The people who I've seen request for more slots generally are designers/creators who upload their creations online for the community to use. A standard path can take up to 8 tiles when accounting for middle pieces and corner pieces, meaning that a creator can only share 5-6 paths at a time. As many other people have said, it also hurts literally nobody.

Now, I understand you wanted to use custom designs just to make your island stand out of the crowd, but they did gave you a built-in path feature, so use it, because using the built-in path feature will conserve more design slots, and you don't need to use the custom design paths, because some paths are seperated into different parts, which will take up too much space.
But...the point is custom paths are custom...they allow you to work beyond what the game has given you.

So remember that if you're complaining about the custom design space, be grateful that you're given 50 design slots, which is a lot more than just eight.
People are allowed to be grateful and ask for positive change at the same time. You can spin this sentence to be "Nintendo should be grateful that we are giving them money."

i totally get why people would want more custom slots. it gives so much creative freedom and i don’t think it’s wrong to ask nintendo for that! personally, i don’t find the amount of custom slots to be too little, but maybe i’m just too accustomed to the 10 (?) slots we got in new leaf. i’m having no trouble managing mine aha

Back