Opinion on Employees Wearing Masks?

Opinion on Employees Wearing Masks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly feel more comfortable and safe in a store if the employees are wearing masks. There is still a pandemic going on. It's getting better I think (I hope things are getting better anyways), but people are still dying from this.

I think everyone should keep something in mind: we wont be having to wear masks forever. But the longer people dig in their heels and refuse to get vaccinated or refuse to wear a mask, the longer this illness will keep spreading around. =(

I see people doing the equivalent of burying their heads in the sand. They say the virus isnt real or think it wont effect them, and that doing so will just magically make all of this go away. The most dangerous thing that happened was people in power turning this deadly virus into a matter of politics. We all have to keep doing our best for each other!

Others wearing a mask or not wearing a mask isn't my business because others' health simply isn't my business. If I have a concern, I mask or take extra care with germs or stay home. Just like pre 2020 flu seasons.

I live in Asia where covid is still pretty much a big problem, so I expect staff to wear masks (and they legally have to!) I once bought hamburgers from someone who didn't have a mask on and it made me anxious as hell, I didn't end up eating it but I did pay them ><

Well, i don't know how to answer since on my country, we need to use mask whenever we go out, because the covid here is really high lol. So yes, i choose use mask, because at situation like this Its creepy. (Im Asian)

idk... im pretty sure the whole "can't wear mask due to health condition" thing is entirely made up.......
I can't entirely verify this but whenever I hear someone say that I do get somewhat confused considering how many people I know with underlying health conditions such as severe asthma who are able to wear a mask for multiple hours of the day and have absolutely no issue, but I digress

I can't entirely verify this but whenever I hear someone say that I do get somewhat confused considering how many people I know with underlying health conditions such as severe asthma who are able to wear a mask for multiple hours of the day and have absolutely no issue, but I digress
100%. Not to be a douche, but I always get the feeling that it's bull when people say this. lol

My mom (who I’m not particularly close to at all, but that’s not the point) does have a medical note written from the doctor that it’s recommended to not wear a mask — emphasis on recommended because it doesn’t say she can’t, but she’s recommended not to. Her place of employment does excuse this. I’m just mentioning this because typically it’s not that people physically can’t, but it’s highly recommended they don’t.

My mom (who I’m not particularly close to at all, but that’s not the point) does have a medical note written from the doctor that it’s recommended to not wear a mask — emphasis on recommended because it doesn’t say she can’t, but she’s recommended not to. Her place of employment does excuse this. I’m just mentioning this because typically it’s not that people physically can’t, but it’s highly recommended they don’t.

the thing about people who have medical conditions that make it difficult to wear masks is that they are the most harmed of all by anti-maskers. They are the people who need to rely on the personal responsibility of others to protect them, or risk their lives because of the selfishness of others. This is the same as with anti-vaxxers. The people they harm the most are the people who can’t get the shot.

I have a co-worker with an auto-immune disease. Her condition causes her to get repeated infections and tumors in her sinuses. Because of this condition she would be very vulnerable to covid. It also means that the mask actually does increase her infections, she has had 2 or 3 in the last year. Where we work we had to return to the office but mask throughout the day. She could probably have gotten a medical waiver. She does not because - 1. She cannot count on others in society to behave in a responsible and moral way to protect her, a fellow member of society. (She’s a lovely person, but really it shouldn’t matter if she is or not, she’s a person) 2. She still feels it is more important to do her part to combat the pandemic, despite the fact that for her masking is a bit more than a tiny nuisance.

so for people who are anti-maskers to co-opt the sympathy for people who have legitimate trouble masking (I imagine in most cases the risk is still outweighed by the risk from covid) is particularly awful. Those are the people they are most actively and purposefully harming through their choices.

And frankly, though being judged doesn’t come into it (and I don’t get why that is somehow worse than 5 mil people worldwide dying, children being orphaned, long term health effects, continued societal upheaval, but yeah ‘both sides are uncivil’ I guess) - the only reason she would face judgement for not masking is that what should be a public health matter has been co-opted by a political faction making an uninformed political statement.

Unfortunately, people continue to risk the lives of other people over something trivial.

the perspective of anti-maskers/ anti-vaxxers seems to be that it is a personal decision, and therefore it is okay if immune compromised people, the very young, or the old die as a result, as long as they do not have to be very very slightly uncomfortable. Personally, I do not consider elderly people and people with health conditions or disabilities to be expendable, but apparently not everyone shares that belief.

idk... im pretty sure the whole "can't wear mask due to health condition" thing is entirely made up.......i know people love make up illnesses to use an excuse but i think it's very disrespectful..... like this is a more xtreme example but ive met people online who fake cancer for sympathy. which is disgusting. so something like pretending you cant wear a mask due to a "health condition" is more minor but a very realistic situation
100% agree.

I remember when it became compulsory to wear masks last year and suddenly a lot of people were finding excuses not to wear them. Aside from those with serious lung conditions such as COPD or IPF it was completely understandable alongside those with severe mental handicaps that they couldn’t wear masks.

I also know quite a few people who have asthma both mild and severe and they continued to wear masks with no problem whatsoever. I’ve also seen the extreme lengths some will go to in their excuses by saying it’s bad for us to breathe in our own carbon dioxide because of wearing a mask which will lead to lung damage later on in life.

I guess they forgot that medical professionals such surgeons and dentists have been wearing masks for years and they’re long term health hasn’t been affected by face masks. 🤦🏼‍♀️

[edited cause im RUDE AF]

but also, if the doctor wrote that she is specifically recommended NOT to wear the mask, the doctor is a terrible doctor and shouldn';t be in practice. That is super unethical

1636545095027.png

There's actually this list, you can take a look at it. most people (i don't want to say most, but i'm sure everyone knows the kinds of people i'm referring to. i probably should have been more specific in my other posts rather than being intentionally rude) trying to get exemptions* most likely don't have anything listed here. I would say for people who definitely don't have any physical condition, the issue is psychiatric, if the person requesting an exemption has no rational medical explanation for why they find masks uncomfortable, and is honest (as in they're not going out of their way to lie), it's most likely a symptom they actually feel because it's psychosomatic, but still u have to consider if it's ethical or not bc by telling them they dont have to wear a mask youre not upholding the responsibility for public health and safety and u have to WEIGH the risks and benefits or something like that. it's either that or they r full of it and just want the exemption

i did read a good article tho on how they can be bothersome to the elderly, which is unfortunate cause theyre really at risk. It was mainly about how it interferes with vision and hearing aids, but i think the vision thing is more extreme cases. at any rate, if a physician very specifically wrote, and nothing else, "you are recommended to NOT wear a mask" i would definitely raise an eyebrow... it's very different from "you're not recommended to wear a mask." idk, i can probably get some better sources after my exam, there are like 2 people in my family who aren't doctors so we just kinda find a lot of this bizarre, and sometimes it's very easy to spot people who have an agenda who aren't honest

Last edited:
Personally I think It's very in-humane to wear masks for a long period of time. Mainly because it causes carbon dioxide poising, but it's a choice at the end of the day.

People who are saying it's putting others at risk not to wear a mask are idiots.

I think people love being virtue signaling victims, why else are people sharing otherwise personal information for clout or status? But hey these same people are probably suffering from long term oxygen deficiency. The shortness of breath and headaches is probably a new covid strain, better take my 5th shot and wear 3 masks. Look at me everyone look at how morally good I am. I feel super safe. Why don't others do the same? . ;)

Personally I think It's very in-humane to wear masks for a long period of time. Mainly because it causes carbon dioxide poising, but it's a choice at the end of the day.

People who are saying it's putting others at risk not to wear a mask are idiots.

I think people love being virtue signaling victims, why else are people sharing otherwise personal information for clout or status? But hey these same people are probably suffering from long term oxygen deficiency. The shortness of breath and headaches is probably a new covid strain, better take my 5th shot and wear 3 masks. Look at me everyone look at how morally good I am. I feel super safe. Why don't others do the same? . ;)
i think some people just want to try their best to help reduce the illness and death as a result of covid and find it surprising and upsetting that there are people who simply dont care. not sure how that makes people idiots.

humanity has progressed so far due to cooperation (although in my opinion the society i live in is not cooperative enough), and i think its not in the best interest for everyone long term to live as every person for themselves.

i dont feel like a superior lifeform because i care about other people enough to wear a mask (maybe some people do), but its really confusing and sad to me (and sometimes i even feel mad) that some people just dont care about others (not just about masks).

of course choosing to prioritize your own survival over others and whether or not it is immoral is a big philosophical discussion, but ultimately, i dont think most people would survive well without cooperation. i hope that people in the future will feel more compassion towards other creatures (not just humans), but i cant control anything aside from my own actions, although i hope to be a positive influence.

at the same time as i realize there is a debate to be had over whats truly moral and if morality exists, it just feels right to me to care about others and i dont agree with those who are willing to enjoy the benefits of society without going out of their way to protect others. of course wearing a mask is not the only way to help others, but it seems like a pretty simple and straightforward way to me.

theres plenty of things id like to improve in myself to be more courteous and loving towards others (and myself bc self care is important), im not a saint by any means, but im trying and thats what i hope everyone would do. of course, at the end of the day i cant control anyones actions but my own. it is upsetting to me though that others dont feel the same way, but thats just life i guess.

even though you disagree with me on what is the "right" thing to do, i still would wear a mask to help keep you safe and i hope eventually you would do the same for others too. again, not saying that you dont do anything for others, i just think the mask situation is a fairly simple way to support the rest of humanity. of course if people dont want to support others, thats how they feel and i just dont like that or agree

What a load of rubbish.

Wearing a mask doesn’t cause carbon dioxide poisoning. If that were the cast we’d have had medical professionals dropping like flies long before COVID arrived on the scene. They’ve all been wearing masks without a problem for decades. So the only idiot right now is you and your dangerous views and ridiculous opinions which are definitely not backed up by the medical profession in any way, shape or form.

In fact it’s people like yourself that have caused so much conflict throughout this pandemic without any true reason. You’re clearly too afraid to face the fact that Covid is real and that vaccines and masks are a BIG help in controlling the spread of the virus. Without any of that alongside sanitisation and social distancing we’d still be stuck in the endless cycle of lockdowns and a high number death rates.

So I suggest you grow up, stop making up excuses to ease your fears and actually realise you are risking not only the lives of those around you but your own too. Do you think your loved ones will be happy if you do catch Covid and end up in hospital on a ventilator? Can you also honestly tell me that you’d not feel guilty for spreading the virus to those who might not be so lucky in the long run?

If you have no shame or guilt about the virus because of your opinions then you are a very selfish person right now.

Last edited:
Following this after giving my feeling earlier and finding the different views interesting. I'm in the "meh" category, feels like being a fence sitter without a side lol. But I am curious whether people's views are affected somewhat by their environment.

So as example, in my (very small) town, we don't have mandates and things have been very open for quite some time. Mask rate is probably about 60/40, with more not masking. Our latest case rate was 0. As in zero new cases for the week I looked at it. People live on large lots (on my street, anywhere from 6 to 150 acres). The stores are never crowded (like, really, never). I can walk in my store, do my shopping seeing maybe 4 other customers, never having to get within even 10 feet of anyone, if that, and use the self checkout (which yes, my paranoid arse disinfects first, lol, because I disinfectant wipe everything...), and there is never a line. Sometimes I'm the only one there when I go early enough! Zero interaction with employees, who are very far away.

I imagine this is very different from other people's experiences, and yes, it definitely affects my view. Masked employees don't really matter to me, because it doesn't really affect me. I might have a different feeling if I were in a crowded place, forced into interacting closely with employees, in an area with high case rates. Dunno. Just was wondering how much this may affect people's feelings.

[Side note- Some good news (at least, so far), couple of treatments (pills) have demonstrated good results for covid, no bad side effects reported, may be out in 2022. Just thought I'd mention for folks who hadn't heard, lol.]

Everyone should be wearing a mask. It's just safer right now, especially as people wait for booster shoots or may not be vaccinated yet. Not to mention people who are immunocompromised, for example, this pandemic has been dangerous enough for them and this will only make it worse.

If a mask mandate is optional and a business does that anyway, that shows they're going the extra mile to keep their employees and costumers safe. I wouldn't shop at a place that banned masks, that would raise a lot of red flags about the respect the owners have for other people.
Post automatically merged:

She could probably have gotten a medical waiver. She does not because - 1. She cannot count on others in society to behave in a responsible and moral way to protect her, a fellow member of society. (She’s a lovely person, but really it shouldn’t matter if she is or not, she’s a person) 2. She still feels it is more important to do her part to combat the pandemic, despite the fact that for her masking is a bit more than a tiny nuisance.

Yeah. Unfortunately in the (rare) cases when people have a very hard time wearing masks, it's just not safe. Ideally, everyone who CAN wear masks would wear them to make things a bit easier for people like your co-worker.

"Personal choice" only really floats for me if it's something that doesn't affect anyone else. Wearing a mask isn't like that, it's something that can make things harder for other people so it's a matter of responsibility and remembering we live in a society so our actions can help or hurt other people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back