• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

"Only Take One" Signs!

Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • N/A

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

Snowesque

Bells
Pink Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
White Rose
Do you/have you really only take one piece of candy if the sign says “only take one” when tick-or-treating?

I usually would take one, but if it's a candy I really like I'd be tempted to take another... 😶

yes ofc! i used to be a little **** that would take multiple, until i was like 10 and saw some kids dumping an entire bowl into their bag, and then i complained to my grandma about how unfair it was and then got a lecture about taking only what you're instructed to. so i've only ever taken as many as the sign says.

however when it comes to handing out candy, my sister always says to hand out 1-2 and no more, but we never get a lot of trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood so i usually give them by the handful. 1-2 handfuls, anyways LOL

I usually followed it when I went trick-or-treating years ago. The people I was with though... not so much. 😅

I always took one or whatever the sign said.

I imagine someone looking through the windows at the bucket stating to only take one, just to see if people are honest. Weird thought, but it would be nice to confront those kids to see why they didn't listen. It'll be an interesting social experiment. /joking

I haven't gone trick-or-treating in a couple decades at this point, but I live in a neighborhood with some serious Halloween enthusiasts so up until 3 years ago I would set candy on my porch for kids to take, only because the constant doorbell ringing would scare my cats and I'm not the biggest fan of talking to people in the first place. I'd throw together a cute little set-up with one of my zombie gnomes and a sign saying to "take 1-2 pieces" and most people would respect this. However, the last time I did this I had one rude kid dump the entire bucket into his bag and laugh about it, so I haven't put out candy since. I have security cameras at home with a live feed so also got to hear him make a rude remark about the sign, which I won't repeat here. Some may say I shouldn't let one kid ruin it for everyone else but honestly, it's my house, my money, and it's already difficult for me anxiety-wise to have people repeatedly coming up to my door, even if I don't have to speak to anyone.

The situation with trick-or-treating was better when I first purchased the house because nearly all the trick-or-treaters would consist of the neighborhood kids, but over the past years there's been an influx of people driving in from other neighborhoods, lining the roads, leaving trash all over the place, and being disrespectful like in the situation mentioned above. It went from maybe 20-30 people stopping by to over 100, and that's just a bit much for me.

Of course! I don't go trick-or-treating anymore, but when I did I always followed any instructions that were left out. If there wasn't a sign with instructions anywhere, just a bowl left out, after double-checking to make sure I wasn't just missing where the instructions were, I'd take a handful or two tops. If there wasn't much left then I'd just go for one or two pieces.

We unfortunately haven't gotten trick-or-treaters in a few years now, but when we did we usually handed out candy directly. Since there were never very many kids coming by, they usually got quite a lot from our house. Hopefully after we move we'll start seeing trick-or-treaters again.

I voted N/A since I never saw any of those signs when I went trick-or-treating as a kid. Hypothetically I'd only take one, though, since it is an honor system and I wouldn't want to ruin it for everybody else by taking too many. Plus, I'm sure my parents wouldn't have let me get away with taking multiple as a kid anyways.

Why yes, I was a good and loyal kid, and I'm still good and loyal today!

Today, we do allow only kids to take one or two, but since I'm always outside handing candy I don't have any signs up.
I always found it a bit sad seeing a plain candy bowl saying to only take one where they're either away or don't care about Halloween but still want to hand out candy.
Just imagine that one greedy kid taking more than one, or worse, the whole shebang!

I haven't had trick-or-treaters for a long time:( I was living in an area that wasn't great for pedestrians. I remember when I moved to that part of the state, wondering why there were no sidewalks. Anyway, that and Covid probably meant no one came around. Which is a shame because it's my favorite holidays and I love seeing kids of all ages and their costumes! So the last few years I've been dressed up ready to give out candy and ended up with a whole bowl of candy (which I usually would bring to work th next day and then feed all the big kids there!)

Now I've moved to a gated apartment complex but I'll have to see if any kids in the complex come around. I hope they do:)

So I haven't ever really been in a situation where I've left a bowl outside because I or someone in the house has thankfully been home. But my job also requires night shifts sometimes, so maybe we'll get there in the future...

Actually, I should get one of my engineering friends to build a candy dispenser or something. Like facial recognition software so the same kid can't come twice in a night, but maybe when you pushed the button, it would send a piece of candy down the chute or something:)

I would only take one if that's what the sign said. There are other houses and I always ended up with more than enough back when I went trick-or-treating. I never had the opportunity, though. Every time I saw a bowl outside like that it was already empty. 😒

When I gave out candy, I always did so in person because I loved to see the kids' costumes. I would give out a small handful to each kid or let them take what they could eat if they had dietary restrictions. I would try to buy a good variety so hopefully everyone got something they liked.

i haven’t gone trick-or-treating since 2017, but i always abided by the “only take one” signs. i almost always went trick-or-treating with my parents, so i didn’t really have the chance to misbehave anyways lol, but i wouldn’t have even if i did. i have too much of a sensitive conscience and anxiety/guilt to do stuff like that, and the last thing i would want to do is deprive someone else of getting candy from an “only take one” bowl because i took more than i was supposed to.

there was plenty of candy to go around from other houses, so i never saw the point in not abiding by any instructions that certain houses had.

Yeah I would take one, I don't want other kids to not get candy because I was greedy. But you should be able to take like 2-3 candies, 1 seems stingy and like they just didn't buy enough candy.

technically, if I take the whole bucket, it's still taking only one

one bucket of candy

not my fault they weren't clear

But what if, and just hear me out...

They had a whole garden full of buckets of candy with a "take one" sign... would you still only take one bucket in that case? 👀

I'm too much of a 'goody-two shoes', so I would end up taking one. It's been years since I went trick or treating.

However, when I pass out candy for the treaters the candy would be in small sandwich bags. So they get more than one piece of candy.

Six or seven pieces of candy in one bag each.

Everybody where I live give bags, there are maybe 5 pieces per bag, so it's one bag each and most of people respect that. Once I had to leave the house for some errands and left the bowl outside with the sign "one bag each", when I came back ,kids where queuing in front of my house taking one bag each but then a father with his very young son, said "Hey! there is nobody let's take everything " and the little kid was saying "we can't do that, it's unfair for others" father was like : who cares? Just when he was about to empty the bowl in his son's bag, I took my bowl back glaring at him and went inside "no candies for you" I was so mad.

Back