• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Online Ruined?...Again

Zyphent said:
Looks like you had a nice business going.

If we had a few businesses running like that for City Folk I think it'd be a fun place.
yea, or even like searching for an item, if someone wanted an item, and they could send it to the auctioneer and the could look for an auction with that description...

technically I am pretty sure there must be a way to edit save file by pluging the SD card into your computer... so I think there will be plenty of ways to cheat, the thing it boils down to is whether you associate with them or not.

Sporge27 said:
technically I am pretty sure there must be a way to edit save file by pluging the SD card into your computer... so I think there will be plenty of ways to cheat, the thing it boils down to is whether you associate with them or not.
Well I know there is ways to cheat via Twilight Hack.

However associating with them or not is hard, as once hacked items leak into the community, they'll just spread around untill you never know whos legit or not, whos got a hacker friend giving them items/bells, etc.

itll be safe for a little while, but then that sort of thing will probably pick up again.

Not to mention seeding...

Zephent said:
Sporge27 said:
Well I know there is ways to cheat via Twilight Hack.

However associating with them or not is hard, as once hacked items leak into the community, they'll just spread around untill you never know whos legit or not, whos got a hacker friend giving them items/bells, etc.

itll be safe for a little while, but then that sort of thing will probably pick up again.

Not to mention seeding...
well at first, they wont have it, people will have to get used to the game and create the codes for it...

honestly whether an object is legit or not, so long as you get yours in a legit way I don't think there will be a problem. Honestly I think having some items impossible to get in the game is unfair like the Mario series things... so in that respect I see hackers as a balancing force. My theory when playing has always been just play it for a while and then as the game gets older, why not go and get the stuff nearly impossible to get from someone else who hacks and is kind enough to help you. :p

That's just me though, I don't have time to be on everyday, and really I have trouble getting my Wii online at school...

You brought up a good point there Sporge with the "special event" items. I think that maybe, if say they give out something like a Santa Clause hat for about two weeks around Christmas, and theres no way you can make it, "hacking" a few and giving them to a few friends and maybe selling two or three online is OK.

But, when people go overboard and sell out thousands of an item that was supposed to be extremely rare and valuable, that bothers me. I'll admit, I used my AR for Gamecube quiet a few times, but it was mostly for minor things or things that I couldn't have done otherwise, such as hacking myself onto AC Island. It's definetly something that needs balanced, but it's a very delicate balance.

I think maybe, to keep it safe and hack-free, they could create an "Antique Shop" in the city. About a month or so after the release of a "special event item", the shop could randomly pick it up, but have a limited stock of maybe five or so of each item, and a relatively high (but not unreasonably) price tag. Also, just as a fun way to interact with friends, some shops could only get some items while other shops get others.

Example:

For Thanksgiving this year, they release a six peice furniture set, including a bed, table, couch, chair, closet, and TV. For Christmas, they give out a Santa Clause Hat. Also, in between to celebrate the lead developer's birthday, they gave out a cool Nintendo shirt. That leaves us with 8 "special event items" that will appear in the Antique Shop by Christmas.

Now, Bob and Joe are friends. They both have City Folks. In Bob's store, the Thanksgiving bed, table, closet, and chair, and the Nintendo Shirt go up for sale. In Joe's store, they stock the Thanksgiving chair, TV, couch, and bed, and the Santa Cluase hat.

That's just an idea I came up with while reading this thread. I kinda made parts up as I went along. This system will help to deter hackers without making items impossible to get, and encourage interaction with other players.

May you keep in mind that nintendo can update the game so that the codes dont work

Plooky said:
May you keep in mind that nintendo can update the game so that the codes dont work
or find a way to have the updates be some sort of virus that bricks the hacking device. One of our computers bricked and destroyed my old ar because it saw it as a hacking device, which is what it is.

Bacon Boy said:
Plooky said:
or find a way to have the updates be some sort of virus that bricks the hacking device. One of our computers bricked and destroyed my old ar because it saw it as a hacking device, which is what it is.
Well, yeah, but what hacker is stupid enough to install the updates themself?
Think about it, they already tried that stuff with Wii 3.3.

I know im not going to update, and the only reason i would EVER hack AC is for bells, simply because it takes weeks to pay nook, and i only want to pay him about 5,000 bells every week.
Yeah, i have the homebrew channel.

Back