• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

On the Hunt for Shiny Absol

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Purple Hybrid Rose
Blue Hybrid Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Rose
White Rose
On the Hunt for a Shiny Absol

Part 1: Intro

My desire to find a shiny Absol started with a dream I had a few months ago. It was a dream of me playing Sapphire and, of course, finding a shiny Absol. It was one of the best dreams I'd ever had, because I had never caught a shiny Pokemon before, and I had reached a new milestone in my life as a gamer.
The funny thing is, at first I didn't know it was shiny. It was simply a red and white Absol that I caught in the game because it was differently colored. When I woke up, I immediately went to the internet to see that what I saw in my dream actually was a shiny. That surprised me a lot, since I had never thought before about having a shiny Absol so I didn't think I knew what it looked like.

This dream, in my interpretation, was a calling. I was certain that I was destined to have a shiny Absol. From that day on, I swore that I would find one.

Part 2: Planning
I decided, on that day, that I would need to find my copy of Sapphire so I could start hunting for a shiny Absol. I dreamed that it would be a female and that I would name her "Ruby". I was very excited to start looking--the last time I had gone shiny hunting, I was looking for a shiny Swablu, but that was 5 years ago and I didn't have any luck--but there was only one problem: the odds of finding a shiny are 1/8192 in earlier generations. Despite this, I still had determination.

I talked to my friend about it, who is an expert on competitive Pokemon and the TCG, and he told me it's not worth looking for a shiny in Sapphire, since Absol was so rare and the odds were so low. I wanted to have a shred of faith, but after coming to my senses, I realized it would be nearly impossible to find a shiny Absol on Sapphire without a ton of luck. I would have an easier time catching 10 shiny Linoones in a row!

This tore me up. I was very much excited to find a shiny Absol, and the only game I had in which I could do that was Sapphire. My friend assured me that I would have a much easier time finding one in Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire, but I didn't have those games at the time!

I knew that I would have to play the waiting game, and get a copy of Omega Ruby as quickly as I could.

Part 3: Hope
On the day of my birthday, after a few months of bargain hunting, I managed to pick up a copy of Omega Ruby for $25. At this point I had kind of forgotten about finding a shiny Absol, and I was more interested in replaying my favorite generation of Pokemon with a fresh new look and feel.
See, I started playing Sapphire version in 2012. That game left a huge impact on me as a young gamer; I had a little experience with Pokemon games, but this game helped me dive right into the series and develop the love that I now have for it. Sapphire is definitely my favorite game in the series, though it wasn't my first; I started with Fire Red, and though it still holds a place in my heart, Sapphire was truly the best.

Playing Omega Ruby for the first time was a truly magical experience. After playing through the Hoenn region on the 32-bit Game Boy Advance for so many years, seeing the region, in all its glory and in 3D, flooded my heart with nostalgia. I loved seeing all my favorite towns and routes, almost exactly as I remembered them. It didn't take me long to play through the game, about 20 hours. But those 20 hours were definitely not wasted.

After taking a walk through Route 120 near Fortree, I was suddenly reminded of the main reason why I got the game: to hunt for shiny Absol! You know, the one I was destined to catch?
I didn't hesitate to start doing research on shiny hunting in ORAS. That's when I discovered the "DexNav Method", which essentially states that DexNav chaining (encountering hidden Pokemon and continuously catching/fainting them creates a chain) can increase the odds of encountering a shiny Pokemon for each encounter, effectively bringing the chance of finding a shiny up to 50% by the 130th chained encounter. This made me very excited and hopeful! So after completing the main game and the Delta episode, I went straight to work.

Part 4: Hunting
After a day or so, I had already spent a solid 18 hours hunting for a shiny Absol on Route 120. I made many chains of 40-50, but they were all broken, one way or another. I got to a point where I actually built up a chain of 130, and I was beyond happy! I was that much closer to achieving my dream! Unfortunately, that chain was broken after an accidental encounter with a trainer who wanted a rematch. I was devastated, but I knew that if I kept working at it, I would eventually get back up to that point.

After many days of DexNav hunting, I was unsuccessful in finding a shiny Absol. After more research, I learned that DexNav chaining for a shiny Pokemon only exists in the XY games, which rendered my efforts completely useless... almost. With this new discovery, I also found that, though it's not confirmed, the odds of finding a shiny while using the DexNav to find hidden Pokemon is fixed at 1/512. This was enough to keep me going, but I had to accept the harsh reality that 1/512 is a very small probability...

Part 5: Losing Hope...
After 2 or 3 weeks of hunting a shiny Absol, I was still coming up with nothing. I had caught and traded many Absols with 3+ IVs, egg moves, hidden abilities, and high levels; I even managed to get my search level up to over 400, but none of them were shiny. I didn't fully give up, but I no longer felt like wasting my time on a hopeless cause.
I went to a PokeCenter, collected some of my lower level Pokemon that need leveled up, and headed over to Victory Road to do some level grinding. When I got there, I entered the cave, surfed across the small body of water, and proceeded to the next cave entrance. Right away, I encountered a wild Pokemon, but something completely unexpected happened: it was a shiny Golbat! A shiny Golbat! My first ever shiny Pokemon! I immediately threw a quick ball and caught him. I was so excited to finally find a shiny Pokemon after 7 years of playing!

Now on the surface I was happy, but deep inside, I was very angry. I spent hours upon hours hunting for shiny Absol, had a search level of about 470, and once I did find a shiny, it wasn't what I wanted. As a matter of fact, I hate Golbat (but I do love Crobat so that made it reasonable). I felt a lot of mixed, overwhelming emotions all at once. At that point, I wanted to completely give up on finding shiny Absol. It was completely hopeless for me.

Part 6: Victory!
I spend the next couple days raising the shiny Golbat, whom I named Ajax, as part of my team so that he would evolve into Crobat. My emotions had settled down, and I was very grateful to have found my first shiny Pokemon.
But there was still a voice in my head... a voice, telling me to go back to Route 120. Something inside of me knew that if I worked hard enough, searched long enough, and believed strong enough, that I would finally find a shiny Absol. I just needed some faith...

So alongside my usual activities of level grinding, breeding Pokemon, and wonder trading, I would go back to that route to shiny hunt. It was becoming very tedious at this point; my search level was up to 550. I had doubts that I would ever find a shiny Absol, since I'm not known for my patience, but reading others' success stories and how long they spent to get a shiny, I wasn't about to give up. I had been envisioning myself with a shiny Absol in my party... Ruby...

I got to the point where I would casually encounter wild Absols while doing something else; I learned that DexNav hunting didn't require a lot of attention, since all I had to do was search, sneak, faint, repeat. I was doing it out of boredom, and it was becoming increasingly tedious. I felt like there were better things I could've been doing, but I just couldn't stop hunting. I knew that shiny Absol was out there, waiting for me, and once my search level got up to 564, a miracle happened...

I found a level 40, female Absol... and she was red and white!

At that instant, I was on the verge of hyperventilating. My heart was beating out of my chest, and tears flowed from my eyes like silent waterfalls. I was in hysterics! I absolutely could not believe what I was seeing! Could it have been, that all those days and nights spent hunting and hunting... finally paid off? Was this real? Even now I feel like I'm living a dream. I feel like I'm simply having a fantastic dream, and I'll wake up. But oh no, this is very real. My dream is real!

I threw a quick ball at her, but she broke out of it. This made me utterly terrified, and I switched to using an ultra ball. I knew she might be difficult to catch; she was level 40 and I didn't want to do any damage in fear of fainting her. Luckily, the ultra ball worked without fail. Shiny Absol was finally mine!
I proceeded to name her Ruby, just as I had planned. After she was transferred to the PC, I had to take a few minutes to collect myself. I was crying uncontrollably, tears of ecstasy. I had spent months dreaming of her, and weeks hunting for her. And she finally came to me.

Part 7: Epilogue
Ruby is now a happy member of my new party in Omega Ruby, along with some of my other favorites. I have spent my day playing with her in Pokemon Amie, and every time I look at her, I can't help but weep. I am so deeply happy that I've found her; words cannot even begin to describe the joy I have. My friend had always reassured me, that shiny hunting is hard, but when it's all over it would be worth it. I do not regret a single minute I spent DexNav hunting. It was worth it....

Sorry for the really long blog entry yall (I actually passed the character limit by 55 characters, but it's all good now), but I just had to share this story. This is definitely the highlight of my Summer vacation so far. Hope you enjoy!! :D

Back