• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

official share recipes thread

Oh man, this thread has given me a lot of ideas to work with! I love cooking so much omg

I'm trying to decide which of my recipes I should share ahaha

All of them?
Just kidding
This thread gave me loads of ideas too. I made the Zebra cake that Pepper posted and it turned out well.

OMG
I found this delicious video and I can't seem to find it YouTube
But found it facebook
So weird

- - - Post Merge - - -

OMG
I found this delicious video and I can't seem to find it YouTube
But found it facebook
So weird

I just made a big batch of this Japanese-style curry today and wanted to share since it's super customizable and a great comfort food, plus it freezes really well. I've actually made it so many times that I don't measure anything and had to fish out the recipe card I had written it down on to copy from, so needless to say it gets a lot of use. I only wish I could remember where I originally found it.

For curry:
Enough oil (I use olive) to coat pan
2 large cloves garlic, grated or chopped
2 teaspoons powdered ginger (or chopped fresh ginger)
3 tablespoons curry powder or garam masala
1 bay leaf
2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
1.5 cups stock (chicken, beef, vegetable, etc.)
2 large onions, sliced sliced thin (2 large onions)
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 - 3 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes, cut into chunks (peeled or unpeeled, doesn't matter)
1/2 cup green peas
1 small apple, peeled and grated, OR 1/4 cup applesauce
Salt and pepper to taste

For roux:
2 tablespoons butter (or other fat - peanut oil, vegetabel oil, olive oil, lard, bacon fat, etc.)
2 tablespoons flour

1. Coat pan evenly with oil. Turn heat to medium-low and add ginger and garlic. Carefully fry until evenly brown but not dark.
2. Add onions and stir to coat evenly. Add more oil in very small increments if pan is too dry. Reduce heat to low, cover pan with lid, and let the onions steam cook until they're translucent and very limp.
3. Remove lid and increase heat to medium high. Continue frying onion mixture, stirring constantly, until volume has reduced significantly and you're left with a caramel-brown paste. (If onion sticks while cooking, add a small amount of water to the area and loosen with a spatula.)
4. Add curry powder or garam masala to paste. Saute just until the mixture is very fragrant.
5. Add stock, carrots, grated apple or applesauce, tomato paste, and bay leaf, mixing well to help the tomato paste blend with the stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the potatoes. Replace lid and simmer for another 15 minutes or so, or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
7. While the curry is simmering, make a roux in a small separate pan. Over medium-low heat, heat butter until just melted. Add flour and stir constantly until the roux is no longer bubbly, is light to medium brown in color, and smells like baking bread.
8. Add green peas to curry, then add the roux, starting with half at first. Increase heat to bring the curry back up to a boil, stirring constantly until the roux has completely blended in. The curry should thicken as you do so. Keep adding roux until the consistency is to your liking. (I like to use the full amount most of the time.)
9. Taste to make sure veggies are tender and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like an even sweeter curry, add more tomato paste or some honey or brown sugar.

It seems like more work than it actually is, plus there's lots of ways to take shortcuts - I don't always make the onions into a paste for example, and instead just fry them until translucent and lightly browned (the little bits of onion in the sauce taste fantastic), and I usually use frozen veggies so my simmering time is a little longer but it saves me the trouble of peeling and chopping everything. This is very different from traditional Indian curries (which I also love!!) but delicious in its own right and you can do pretty much whatever you want with it, like add in meat or other veggies (personally I love cauliflower and chickpeas in place of the carrots and green peas once in a while).

These are easy to make & taste so much better than store bought marshmallows

Homemade Marshmallows

Ingredients :

3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 cup ice cold water, divided
12 ounces granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Nonstick spray
I made homemade marshmallows for the first time a few weeks ago and they were absolutely amazing!! There's really no comparing homemade and store bought, they're so much more rich and indulgent. I didn't have corn syrup so I made an equal amount of simple syrup (sugar + water) instead and I don't think it hurt the flavor at all. Ugh, I need more...

Last edited:
I just made a big batch of this Japanese-style curry today and wanted to share since it's super customizable and a great comfort food, plus it freezes really well. I've actually made it so many times that I don't measure anything and had to fish out the recipe card I had written it down on to copy from, so needless to say it gets a lot of use. I only wish I could remember where I originally found it.

For curry:
Enough oil (I use olive) to coat pan
2 large cloves garlic, grated or chopped
2 teaspoons powdered ginger (or chopped fresh ginger)
3 tablespoons curry powder or garam masala
1 bay leaf
2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
1.5 cups stock (chicken, beef, vegetable, etc.)
2 large onions, sliced sliced thin (2 large onions)
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 - 3 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes, cut into chunks (peeled or unpeeled, doesn't matter)
1/2 cup green peas
1 small apple, peeled and grated, OR 1/4 cup applesauce
Salt and pepper to taste

For roux:
2 tablespoons butter (or other fat - peanut oil, vegetabel oil, olive oil, lard, bacon fat, etc.)
2 tablespoons flour

1. Coat pan evenly with oil. Turn heat to medium-low and add ginger and garlic. Carefully fry until evenly brown but not dark.
2. Add onions and stir to coat evenly. Add more oil in very small increments if pan is too dry. Reduce heat to low, cover pan with lid, and let the onions steam cook until they're translucent and very limp.
3. Remove lid and increase heat to medium high. Continue frying onion mixture, stirring constantly, until volume has reduced significantly and you're left with a caramel-brown paste. (If onion sticks while cooking, add a small amount of water to the area and loosen with a spatula.)
4. Add curry powder or garam masala to paste. Saute just until the mixture is very fragrant.
5. Add stock, carrots, grated apple or applesauce, tomato paste, and bay leaf, mixing well to help the tomato paste blend with the stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the potatoes. Replace lid and simmer for another 15 minutes or so, or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
7. While the curry is simmering, make a roux in a small separate pan. Over medium-low heat, heat butter until just melted. Add flour and stir constantly until the roux is no longer bubbly, is light to medium brown in color, and smells like baking bread.
8. Add green peas to curry, then add the roux, starting with half at first. Increase heat to bring the curry back up to a boil, stirring constantly until the roux has completely blended in. The curry should thicken as you do so. Keep adding roux until the consistency is to your liking. (I like to use the full amount most of the time.)
9. Taste to make sure veggies are tender and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like an even sweeter curry, add more tomato paste or some honey or brown sugar.

It seems like more work than it actually is, plus there's lots of ways to take shortcuts - I don't always make the onions into a paste for example, and instead just fry them until translucent and lightly browned (the little bits of onion in the sauce taste fantastic), and I usually use frozen veggies so my simmering time is a little longer but it saves me the trouble of peeling and chopping everything. This is very different from traditional Indian curries (which I also love!!) but delicious in its own right and you can do pretty much whatever you want with it, like add in meat or other veggies (personally I love cauliflower and chickpeas in place of the carrots and green peas once in a while).

I made homemade marshmallows for the first time a few weeks ago and they were absolutely amazing!! There's really no comparing homemade and store bought, they're so much more rich and indulgent. I didn't have corn syrup so I made an equal amount of simple syrup (sugar + water) instead and I don't think it hurt the flavor at all. Ugh, I need more...

oh wow, Japanese curry completely from scratch! I always use the S&B Golden Curry boxed roux and I would add garlic, ginger, more curry powder, ketchup, soy sauce & tonkatsu.

and nice to know that you can sub simple syrup in the marshmallow recipe!

I saw that my grocery had a big nice tub of miso today and it made me really want to make some yummy stuff with miso in them, especially miso soup. Does anybody have any good recipes with miso in them?

i found the recipe i been wanting to find
and i actaully did it on friday
and man was it good :p
my parents wanted more

Last edited:
This is the only way I'll make hot chocolate now, it's so much better than any cocoa power mix

Real Hot Chocolate

6 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped 

1/4 cup water, room temperature

3 tablespoons hot water 

3 cups hot milk or half & half, divided 

Sugar to taste 

In a double boiler over low heat, combine chocolate and 1/4 cup water until melted, stirring occasionally; stir until smooth.
Remove top of double boiler pan from. Whisk in 3 tablespoons hot water. Pour into pitcher or divide among individual 4 mugs. Either stir 3/4 cup hot milk into each mug or serve milk in a separate pitcher. Pass sugar and whipped cream in separate bowls; add to taste.
Makes 4 servings.

short cut version, put all the ingredients in a pot and simmer very low, stirring constantly till the chocolate is melted. sometimes I'll steep a cinnamon stick in the pot as well.

Ridiculously easy panna cotta recipe I made for dessert after our father's day dinner. This was one of the first desserts I learned how to make on my own, because it's so hard to screw up. (': My dad is the most boring eater in the world (basically meat and potatoes and not much else) so if he likes something it boosts my confidence a little...

Not my picture, but if anyone is unfamiliar with it here's what it looks like:
pannacotta.jpg

2 1/2 cups cold heavy cream*
1/3 cup cold half and half*
1/2 cup white sugar
0.25 oz unflavored gelatin, usually 1 packet
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (or whatever you want I guess)
*You can replace either of these with other types of real milk - whole milk, reduced fat, skim, use all half and half or all heavy cream, etc. Not sure how it would go with milk substitutes like almond or soy.

1. Pour half and half into a bowl and stir in gelatin powder. Set aside.
2. Stir together heavy cream and sugar in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a full boil, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn the cream or let it foam up out of the pot.
3. Quickly add the half and half/gelatin mixture. Stir until completely dissolved.
4. Cook for an additional 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and nestle pot into a larger saucepan or bowl filled with ice. Stir frequently until mixture has cooled to about room temperature.
5. Once cooled, pour mixture into ramekins or serving bowls. *Optional: Place a fine mesh strainer over the bowls while pouring to catch any stray lumps of gelatin that may have not dissolved fully.
6. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to set in fridge for 4 hours - overnight.
7. If desired, turn out panna cotta onto dessert plates before serving and top however you'd like. If it's hard to loosen from the ramekins, place them in a shallow bowl filled with hot water just until you're able to turn them out.

Since this is so rich when made with heavy cream+half and half I like to make it with fruit. Today I put in fresh chopped cherries and then served it topped with a warm, lightly sweetened cherry sauce. Here's the recipe for that too, it's even easier.

2 cups pitted cherries, halved
2 Tbsp white sugar
2 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp cold water
2 tsp cornstarch
Pinch of cinnamon

1. Combine cherries, white sugar, butter, and 3 Tbsp water over medium heat.
2. While mixture is heating, stir cornstarch into remaining 1 Tbsp of water to make a thin slurry (cornstarch should be completely dissolved and water will be murky white). Add to cherry mixture and stir.
3. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring often. Add water in 1 tsp amounts if sticking or burning start to occur.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for an additional 3 - 5 minutes, until it reaches your preferred consistency. Add more water if you want it thinner.
5. Remove from heat and sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon.

If using it as a filling I think it should be sweeter (and at least doubled), but panna cotta is plenty sweet on its own if you add sugar. I've heard some more traditional Italian recipes don't add any and let the sweetness come from the topping instead.

Looking for good baked potato recipes pls
Hmmm, have you tried a twice baked potato with your favorite toppings? Or if you're looking for something other than the usual "loaded baked potato" stuff, try one with a generous amount of olive oil, minced garlic, crumbled Parmesan cheese, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and a little oregano (and of course salt and pepper). Tastes best with red potatoes in my opinion, but I'm sure you could use whatever you prefer or have on hand.

oh wow, Japanese curry completely from scratch! I always use the S&B Golden Curry boxed roux and I would add garlic, ginger, more curry powder, ketchup, soy sauce & tonkatsu.

and nice to know that you can sub simple syrup in the marshmallow recipe!
I have to admit...I've never actually used one of the infamous blocks... //shame They always look yummy when I see Youtube videos using them, but the Japanese-style curry I got used to is from a little place near my school that's mainly a ramen house. I got addicted and needed to learn how to make something similar lol.

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite recipes is a sandwich. It involves two breads and some ingredients. You put the latter in between the formers and then you are good to go!

I'm going to try to make these recipe here, they look great and pretty easy. I wish i had my own recipes to share but i really can't cook

c.jpg

I have to admit...I've never actually used one of the infamous blocks... //shame They always look yummy when I see Youtube videos using them, but the Japanese-style curry I got used to is from a little place near my school that's mainly a ramen house. I got addicted and needed to learn how to make something similar lol.

you gotta buy some and try it (amazon has it if you don't have a shop near by that carries it), most Japanese restaurants that make curry use the boxed rue - it's really good and is usually better when you make it at home since you add a bunch of other seasonings and veggies

Here's a recipe for Oreo salad! It's really easy and really good- we always have it on special occasions :)

1 small box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup milk
1 8 oz container cool whip
1 can mandarin oranges
approx 20 oreo cookies broken into pieces

Mix vanilla pudding and milk together until smooth. Add mandarin oranges
and oreos. Fold in cool whip.

(it tastes best when you refrigerate it overnight)

I remember sharing this recipe to the recipe thread in 2014 (? Maybe '15), and funny enough I made it the other day ☻

Deep-Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie for One
Source: http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/deep-dish-chocolate-chip-cookie-for-one/
tumblr_ma3yrcIqGa1qf0j2no4_500.jpg

Ingredients (1 serving):

1 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
? Tbsp unrefined granulated sugar, such as evaporated cane juice
? Tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp beaten egg, preferably organic (cover & chill remaining beaten egg for tomorrow?s cookie cup? you will be making another one!)
Tiny splash pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour (can substitute with 3:1 of cake flour and all purpose flour)
1/8 tsp baking soda
Tiny pinch salt
Heaping 1 Tbsp grain-sweetened chocolate chips, such as Sunspire

Instructions
In a small ramekin or microwavable cup, combine softened butter and both sugars; stir well with a spoon.
Stir in beaten egg and vanilla extract.
Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt just until combined.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Microwave on high for 35-40 seconds.
Let cookie rest at room temperature for about 10 seconds before devouring.
(SUPER good with ice cream c:)

Nutritional Information:
253.2 calories, 13.8 grams fat, 8.4 grams saturated fat, 2.9 grams fiber, 17.5 grams sugars, 2.4 grams protein

Back