Official Laptop Recommendation Thread

I got a question can any of you recommend me a good cooling fan for laptops cause I do not wanna buy me a cheap one at least just want a decent one that will last long and that will work. Also on laptop how many years you think you gotta wait before replacing the hard drive by any chance ?.

Last edited:
I got a question can any of you recommend me a good cooling fan for laptops cause I do not wanna buy me a cheap one at least just want a decent one that will last long and that will work. Also on laptop how many years you think you gotta wait before replacing the hard drive by any chance ?.

Do you mean you want to buy an external cooling fan? I'd suggest just getting a laptop that you want and is recommended with good reviews and the stock fan would work well. Also, unless it's a Solid State Drive (HDDs are more common), you probably will not ever have to replace it. SDD's depend - it's probably around 4+ years with moderate use.

to whoever was asking about sims -

sims 4 ran well on my ****ty laptop. just have graphics set to medium or something. and dont download a **** ton of cc (but that applies to any computer)

sims 3 runs like **** on everything so i wouldnt bother about it tbh. sims 4 is a lot easier to run because of how many people complained about how god awful sims 3 was for computers. sims 4 should run fine on most computers tho.

guys theres a great deal apple is selling the new macbook 12" screen with an intel m processor and 8 gbs of ram

ONLY $1800 good deal yes

I just noticed this thread was here. I'll go ahead and make a list of things.

Lenovo's a pretty solid brand. This has a dedicated GPU, but it's considered Low End because of the price and fact that it's going to run hot with AMD as your graphics unit. This specific laptop boasts an impressive Quad-Core processor, but only running at 2.00 GHZ. If you're looking to play runescape, some small steam games, word process, or run photoshop in short bursts, this laptop will work for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319445&leaderboard=1

If you're looking for something artsy that you can detach the screen from and use as a tablet, I recomend this one. It's excessively low end, so I really only recomend this for the occasional photo manip.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9164838&CatId=219

On the flip side of that, for 800 dollars you can get the good version of this setup. This computer boasts a dual core i7 clocking at 2.4 GHZ. Perfect for most small activities and basic gaming such as Guild Wars, Starcraft, and many Indie Steam titles.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9618828&CatId=219

Let's say you're looking for an actual gaming system. I always recomend desktops for this, but if you absolutely have to get a laptop the N550JK is a good buy for the money it costs. It boasts a GTX 850M Nvidia Graphics card, 15" screen, 5.1 surround speakers, and a 2.4 GHZ i7 Quad. The battery is a little lackluster at only 4 cells, but for 800 dollars this is a deal. You'll probably be able to play Skyrim on high.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9095406&CatId=3998

So let's say you have a budget of about a thousand dollars. This is where you'll throw down the real money for a system that can play some current-gen games. Whether you're using this one for LOL/DOTA, or getting down in the dirt with Phantom Pain, this laptop will run your games solidly. This computer is a 2.6GHZ i7 Quad with auto turbo boost to 3.6GHZ, GTX 960M Nvidia Graphics, 16GB of DDR3 Ram, and packaged in a very attractive shell.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9637334&CatId=3998

On the flip side, if you're willing to drop a bit more.. maybe around the 1.5k range, then you're going to have the closest thing to a desktop replacement you can get. This machine is very similar to the last one, except it has a 17.3" display, 24GB of ram, and being in the Asus ROG family, you're gaurenteed great cooling, hardware, and display. This machine is HEAVY, as it's meant to replace a desktop.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9514707&CatId=3998

So what if you have more than 2000 dollars to spend? Well look no further I have the perfect solution. Buy a desktop. Seriously. My current build is a 6 core processor, GTX980TI, 32 GB of DDR4 Ram, and a wonderful case for 1,700 dollars. Your best bet after 1500 is just to focus on a floor unit that can be upgraded and kept in with the times.

Thanks so much for the laptop recommendations! I don't have as much as a knowledge as you do so it's nice to have someone who knows more.

Thanks so much for the laptop recommendations! I don't have as much as a knowledge as you do so it's nice to have someone who knows more.

Honestly it's super simple stuff :) Asus is a very respected brand for laptops and hardware. I really wouldn't touch any other company.

Honestly it's super simple stuff :) Asus is a very respected brand for laptops and hardware. I really wouldn't touch any other company.

I've actually started to lose respect for Lenovo. They are loading a lot of crap onto the laptops and are having a lot of flaws. I'd only buy a ThinkPad from them at this point but I do know ASUS is a great brand. I've been recommending my sister ASUS laptops because she's looking at getting one.

I've actually started to lose respect for Lenovo. They are loading a lot of crap onto the laptops and are having a lot of flaws. I'd only buy a ThinkPad from them at this point but I do know ASUS is a great brand. I've been recommending my sister ASUS laptops because she's looking at getting one.

Lenovo is like Toshiba. They have one or two products that are worth the cost vs utilization ratio. Namely the ThinkPad as you said, and the A8 series, which is a more souped up ThinkPad. I was given a Lenovo from work on the condition I could fix it, and once the computer was up and running it surprised me how well the Haswell mobile works on the units. Very little heat with very high production value.

As for Toshiba, there's always a Toshiba Satellite. They've been exceptional since 2002, and they only got better with the Ivybridge MOBO's back in 2012/13. The only downside to getting one of the Lenovo's or a Satellite is the fact you're probably going to be stuck with an integrated graphics unit. In the defense of the laptops however, the newer integrated haswell cards are absolutely delightful.

With your sister I'd definitely do Asus, Dell, and Toshiba. Stay far away from Alienware (It's just a dell with the alien brand) and if she needs to stretch her funds a little thin I'd go refurbished or even MSI. Just make sure she gets a warranty.

Lenovo is like Toshiba. They have one or two products that are worth the cost vs utilization ratio. Namely the ThinkPad as you said, and the A8 series, which is a more souped up ThinkPad. I was given a Lenovo from work on the condition I could fix it, and once the computer was up and running it surprised me how well the Haswell mobile works on the units. Very little heat with very high production value.

As for Toshiba, there's always a Toshiba Satellite. They've been exceptional since 2002, and they only got better with the Ivybridge MOBO's back in 2012/13. The only downside to getting one of the Lenovo's or a Satellite is the fact you're probably going to be stuck with an integrated graphics unit. In the defense of the laptops however, the newer integrated haswell cards are absolutely delightful.

With your sister I'd definitely do Asus, Dell, and Toshiba. Stay far away from Alienware (It's just a dell with the alien brand) and if she needs to stretch her funds a little thin I'd go refurbished or even MSI. Just make sure she gets a warranty.

She is really just getting the laptop for web browsing and Photoshop, so I'm thinking under $500 I could find something that fits them well at great performance.

She is really just getting the laptop for web browsing and Photoshop, so I'm thinking under $500 I could find something that fits them well at great performance.

Oh! Well in that case this is your bread and butter right here, especially since it has a dedicated GPU. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9611695&CatId=4935 It's cheaper than your budget of 500, but that's not a bad thing.

General
Product Type: Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition / Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Edition downgrade
Preinstalled OS: Windows 7

Processor / Chipset
CPU: AMD A series A6-7000 / 2.2 GHz
Max Turbo Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Cores: Dual-Core
Cache: L2 - 1 MB
64-bit Computing: Yes
Chipset: AMD A76M FCH
Features: Integrated memory controller, AMD Turbo CORE technology

Memory
RAM: 4 GB ( 1 x 4 GB )
Max RAM Supported: 16 GB
Technology: DDR3L SDRAM
Speed: 1600 MHz / PC3L-12800
Form Factor: SO DIMM 204-pin
Slots Qty: 2
Empty Slots: 1

Storage
Main Storage: 500 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s
Optical Drive: DVD-Writer - fixed

Display
Type: 15.6"
LCD Backlight Technology: LED backlight
Resolution: 1366 x 768 ( HD )
Widescreen: Yes
Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Features: Anti-glare

Audio & Video
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon R4
Camera: Integrated webcam
Resolution: 720p
Sound: Stereo speakers , two microphones
Codec: CX20751
Compliant Standards: Dolby Advanced Audio v4

Input
Type: Keyboard, TrackPoint, UltraNav
Features: Built-in numeric keyboard, spill-resistant, multi-touch touchpad

Communications
Wireless: 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0
Wireless Controller: Realtek RTL8723BE - M.2 Card
Network Interface: Gigabit Ethernet
Ethernet Controller: Realtek RTL8111GUS

Battery
Technology: 6-cell lithium ion
Capacity: 48 Wh
Run Time: Up to 6.3 hours

AC Adapter
Input: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Output: 45 Watt

Connections & Expansion
Interfaces: 2 x USB 3.0 ? USB 2.0 ? VGA ? HDMI ? LAN ? Headphone/microphone combo jack ? OneLink connector
Memory Card Reader: 4 in 1 ( SD Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Card, SDXC Card )

Plenty of USB slots, HDMI output if she wants to watch a movie, memory card reader if she takes pictures, plus it's 15" which is a good size for Photoshop.

Edit:

Also look at this one. You can buy a separate stylus and she wouldn't have to waste USB ports with a tablet, it's all multitouch and built in. This one has one of the newer i3 Haswell processors, so it's raring to go for a few years at the minimum.

The only concern would be the integrated graphics card, but if you take a look at this list of playable games (this would be with recomended or higher settings) you're actually getting a fine deal for your money. I wouldn't pass it up.

Last edited:
Oh! Well in that case this is your bread and butter right here, especially since it has a dedicated GPU. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9611695&CatId=4935 It's cheaper than your budget of 500, but that's not a bad thing.

General
Product Type: Notebook
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition / Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Edition downgrade
Preinstalled OS: Windows 7

Processor / Chipset
CPU: AMD A series A6-7000 / 2.2 GHz
Max Turbo Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Cores: Dual-Core
Cache: L2 - 1 MB
64-bit Computing: Yes
Chipset: AMD A76M FCH
Features: Integrated memory controller, AMD Turbo CORE technology

Memory
RAM: 4 GB ( 1 x 4 GB )
Max RAM Supported: 16 GB
Technology: DDR3L SDRAM
Speed: 1600 MHz / PC3L-12800
Form Factor: SO DIMM 204-pin
Slots Qty: 2
Empty Slots: 1

Storage
Main Storage: 500 GB HDD / 5400 rpm
Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s
Optical Drive: DVD-Writer - fixed

Display
Type: 15.6"
LCD Backlight Technology: LED backlight
Resolution: 1366 x 768 ( HD )
Widescreen: Yes
Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Features: Anti-glare

Audio & Video
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon R4
Camera: Integrated webcam
Resolution: 720p
Sound: Stereo speakers , two microphones
Codec: CX20751
Compliant Standards: Dolby Advanced Audio v4

Input
Type: Keyboard, TrackPoint, UltraNav
Features: Built-in numeric keyboard, spill-resistant, multi-touch touchpad

Communications
Wireless: 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0
Wireless Controller: Realtek RTL8723BE - M.2 Card
Network Interface: Gigabit Ethernet
Ethernet Controller: Realtek RTL8111GUS

Battery
Technology: 6-cell lithium ion
Capacity: 48 Wh
Run Time: Up to 6.3 hours

AC Adapter
Input: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Output: 45 Watt

Connections & Expansion
Interfaces: 2 x USB 3.0 ? USB 2.0 ? VGA ? HDMI ? LAN ? Headphone/microphone combo jack ? OneLink connector
Memory Card Reader: 4 in 1 ( SD Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Card, SDXC Card )

Plenty of USB slots, HDMI output if she wants to watch a movie, memory card reader if she takes pictures, plus it's 15" which is a good size for Photoshop.

Edit:

Also look at this one. You can buy a separate stylus and she wouldn't have to waste USB ports with a tablet, it's all multitouch and built in. This one has one of the newer i3 Haswell processors, so it's raring to go for a few years at the minimum.

The only concern would be the integrated graphics card, but if you take a look at this list of playable games (this would be with recomended or higher settings) you're actually getting a fine deal for your money. I wouldn't pass it up.

Shoot... Do you happen to have a Canadian equivalent? The same site lists it at $700 CND for some reason. The same price range would be ideal though.

Last edited:
I use a Lenovo laptop, it's really not that bad. I've had it for 3 years and it's still running fine.

How good are those chromebooks for school i think my school will be giving them to us soon in a year or two but. I remember using one and it didnt have the ****ing caps lock key so i hated it so much. Please tell me theres a chromebook with the caps lock key (i use caps lock rather than shift)

Back