Official Laptop Recommendation Thread

I'm pretty much useless here, but I just got a Dell XPS 13 Touchscreen with 256GB and 8GB RAM. Definitely not the "best" laptop, but it's very reliable, fast, and compact. I would normally go for a 15" screen instead of 13", but it's virtually has no border, so it appears bigger. I just wanted something compact and reliable for college next semester :)

The Dell XPS 13 is one of the best rated laptops for it's price, and rightly so. The only hold back is the quite poor graphics card. If you're a student and do not wish to game at all (except for maybe Old School Runescape), this is a great laptop. I do believe there are better options though.

Nice thread! :)
I'm pretty satisfied with my Lenovo T500. It's sufficient for browsing the internet, writing, watching anime and playing Sims 4 and some other games :'D
I might get a T530 soon though. Do you happen to know if there's much of a difference?

Last edited:
Nice thread! :)
I'm pretty satisfied with my Lenovo T500. It's sufficient for browsing the internet, writing, watching anime and playing Sims 4 and some other games :'D
I might get a T530 soon though. Do you happen to know if there's much of a difference?

The T500 is a pretty good laptop. In general, Lenovo ThinkPads are some of the best and reliable laptops out there. Also, I'm not sure they sell T530s from their site anymore - but a T550 is a good upgrade if yours is getting old and you feel you need the upgrade. In general, I think the T500 would still be good unless you just have the money and want an upgrade.

Hey I was wondering if some one can tell me which is a good decent laptop to buy for gaming under $ 600 cause my current laptop is crap and its about to break c.c...

So I am looking into a gaming laptop that would work well under 600 bucks or so. I can't go up no more then $ 600 so if any one know of any good laptop around that price that can run decent games please let me know I don't care much to run games on the highest settings I just want them to be playable at least. So if any one here knows of a decent gaming laptop for 600 bucks or under please let me know thank you x3..

Hey I was wondering if some one can tell me which is a good decent laptop to buy for gaming under $ 600 cause my current laptop is crap and its about to break c.c...

So I am looking into a gaming laptop that would work well under 600 bucks or so. I can't go up no more then $ 600 so if any one know of any good laptop around that price that can run decent games please let me know I don't care much to run games on the highest settings I just want them to be playable at least. So if any one here knows of a decent gaming laptop for 600 bucks or under please let me know thank you x3..

Examples of games you want to run? Also, do you have any preferred battery life, specs, etc.?

The T500 is a pretty good laptop. In general, Lenovo ThinkPads are some of the best and reliable laptops out there. Also, I'm not sure they sell T530s from their site anymore - but a T550 is a good upgrade if yours is getting old and you feel you need the upgrade. In general, I think the T500 would still be good unless you just have the money and want an upgrade.

I don't have money, but I get Lenovo laptops for free through my father. I think he's still got some 530s but I'll ask for a T550 if that would be better.

I don't have money, but I get Lenovo laptops for free through my father. I think he's still got some 530s but I'll ask for a T550 if that would be better.

That's so awesome!

The Dell XPS 13 is one of the best rated laptops for it's price, and rightly so. The only hold back is the quite poor graphics card. If you're a student and do not wish to game at all (except for maybe Old School Runescape), this is a great laptop. I do believe there are better options though.
I'm a lowly console scrub who doesn't like to play games on computers, so it's not that much of a deal breaker for me. As for the price, it wasn't cheap. It was $1500, but I guess that beats getting less bang for your buck by buying a MacBook instead.

What would be the cheapest laptop I could get that's still decent? As long as it can run league, the sims, ect. I'll be good

I want a decent gaming computer that can run new games that are out today cause I am trying to get a computer that can run Mortal Kombat X and Street Fighter 5 at least. And also looking to play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

I want a decent gaming computer that can run new games that are out today cause I am trying to get a computer that can run Mortal Kombat X and Street Fighter 5 at least. And also looking to play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Under $600... It'll be pretty tight. I suggest saving up more money so you can get something that will perform well.

- - - Post Merge - - -

What would be the cheapest laptop I could get that's still decent? As long as it can run league, the sims, ect. I'll be good

I suggest the $600 version Lenovo Z40 (the one that has an i5). You would definitely be able to run League and Sims. Also @Applelicious, this might be your best bet. The version with the 2.00GHz is also worth the extra $30.

The only thing about this laptop is that is has a mediocre screen and battery life. You probably wouldn't notice the screen difference though unless you have a 4k monitor right beside you.

Thanks for the recommendation I might consider in purchasing this laptop you mention after I look up some more information about it. Also a quick question about Lenovo Z40 is this a good computer to use for video editing as well I know this question might sound noobish and all. But I was hoping if this laptop will be good for it cause I am planning on making a YouTube channel next year for sprite animation and I was just wondering if its good for video editing etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation I might consider in purchasing this laptop you mention after I look up some more information about it. Also a quick question about Lenovo Z40 is this a good computer to use for video editing as well I know this question might sound noobish and all. But I was hoping if this laptop will be good for it cause I am planning on making a YouTube channel next year for sprite animation and I was just wondering if its good for video editing etc.

Depends on the program, but with the i5 @ 2.00 GHz and making sure you don't have a ton of things open at once, you should be fine.

I'm thinking about getting a MacBook Air.

I'm starting university next month and I want something that covers the following:

1. Lightweight, so I can easily take it in my bag on the walk to my campus (half an hour walk).
2. Good to do essays on.
3. Good for playing The Sims 3&4.
4. Good for streaming.

Will a MacBook Air do the job? I'd get the smallest one.

I'm thinking about getting a MacBook Air.

I'm starting university next month and I want something that covers the following:

1. Lightweight, so I can easily take it in my bag on the walk to my campus (half an hour walk).
2. Good to do essays on.
3. Good for playing The Sims 3&4.
4. Good for streaming.

Will a MacBook Air do the job? I'd get the smallest one.

It's hard to say how well it will run The Sims, but it will be lightweight. Any laptop that runs word and has a decent keyboard is good for writing essays. I'm not so sure about streaming - I'd have to see the specs. Also, what would you be streaming?

Good buy for those going into a university with Comp. Sci and Physics/Chem/Math labs on budget: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-x555la

Asus X555LA is 15.6" and very sturdy. Only has an i3 (possibly able to buy with i5, not sure) and does fairly well on benchmarks compared to other laptops around the same price.

You can't run Runescape on a Macbook Pro without messing around with some things first !!11!!!1

You can't run Runescape on a Macbook Pro without messing around with some things first !!11!!!1

Uhh... You need to install Java in most cases. You don't need to "mess" with anything as far as I know.

I got my Macbook Pro 15-inch a year ago before I started freshmen year of high school. (going to be a junior now.) Works great for simple things like assignments & watching youtube videos.
I use Sony Vegas to edit videos, though, and I split the disc on my Mac and purchased Windows 8 so now I have dual operating systems. Sadly, the computer cannot handle dual systems or the demand of Sony Vegas. I'm planning on keeping this Macbook and possibly getting another computer with windows for video editing and art.

Back