Official Laptop Recommendation Thread

Hi guys, I was looking for a laptop under a $500 budget for general use, really. Browsing the internet, playing a few games which do not require too much, I guess. I don't want it to be all slow though, hanging often and stuff.

What do you guys think?

How good are those chromebooks for school i think my school will be giving them to us soon in a year or two but. I remember using one and it didnt have the ****ing caps lock key so i hated it so much. Please tell me theres a chromebook with the caps lock key (i use caps lock rather than shift)

Depends on the brand. Different brands have different builds.

Hi guys, I was looking for a laptop under a $500 budget for general use, really. Browsing the internet, playing a few games which do not require too much, I guess. I don't want it to be all slow though, hanging often and stuff.

What do you guys think?

You can get something like this that has been refurbished to suit your needs well enough. I still stress to stay away from Acer, HP, and Dell, which is the majority of what you're going to find at that price range.

The only two good laptops i've owned are HPs. They're stable and really easy to get used to. My last HP lasted me about 4 years, it became really slow due to the amount of content I had previously loaded onto it, but it was an old version anyway. The HP i have now is a HP pavillion and it's amazing. It's never slow but it is always good to buy a software to protect your computer from viruses. BUT yeah HP's are really good, from personal experience definitely stay away form Acers. Those laptops are the work of Lucifer.

8gb is the max you need.
Don't buy a laptop with 16gb it'll just build more heat. Most things don't exceed 8gb.
For light use, I'd say you don't even need an i5. I get away with amd e300 apu for light use with Windows 10 and is brilliant...at 1.3ghz dual core.

yeah stay away from Acer, it's what I currently have at the moment and the harddrive broke after only about 7 months of use, and in all honesty this laptop really isn't worth the ?500 (700 with repairs) that I paid for it.

To people buying laptops in the UK, I stress saying but buy your laptops from supermarkets (Asda is your best bet), and not PC World/Currys. Previously when the charger broke on my old Samsung when it was still covered by warranty, Asda just gave me a new, more recent model with no fuss. However, when my current Acer's harddrive malfunctioned, PC World refused to fix it on warranty despite the fact it was still under the initial year guarantee, and I had to pay anther ?200 to get it fixed elsewhere.

I recommend HP, brilliant laptops very ergonomic

I recommend HP, brilliant laptops very ergonomic

Please don't recommend HP laptops here. HP does really poorly with their drivers and software. Not sure about hardware in general but you can get better for less money than any HP laptop.

Please don't recommend HP laptops here. HP does really poorly with their drivers and software. Not sure about hardware in general but you can get better for less money than any HP laptop.

This, at least in these days when there are better alternatives.

I've had some terrible experiences with HP. One of my HP laptops had to be replaced while still under warranty, and the company sent me another laptop that they considered 'equivalent,' when in actuality it was worth about a thousand dollars less. The parts are cheaply made and will fall apart after time, and there's honestly just some much better options out there for lower or similar prices.

Back