• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

non-TTers: do you consider getting items/diys from people who TT to be cheating?

jokk

Bells
Switch
0608-8649-7288
Orange (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
Tasty Cake
Cherry (Fruit)
Pear (Fruit)
June Birthstone (Pearl)
i was wondering about this recently. do you think it qualifies as breaking the no time travel rule?

I don't TT in my game, at least not usually (I've made some exceptions), and don't consider it cheating to begin with, so no. That being said, I have been waiting to get all the items on my own, rather than trading with SH players earlier in the year to get the fall and winter recipes, for instance.

It's also probably hard to make sure you're not trading with a TT'er, I imagine, unless you're just trading with friends you know don't TT.

I’m against TT personally because I don’t want to screw up my villager relationships - I want to get as many photos as possible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong if somebody else TTs - it’s your game and it’s not cheating or anything. I frequently get items and villagers from people who TT and there’s nothing wrong with that.

i don't think tt is cheating, and i don't really mind! i think that a lot of things that we trade nowdays may have been from time travelling, but that's just for convenience. If someone can get a fall DIY that everyone wants much quicker by time travelling, so they can share it with everyon elese to be kind, I see no problem.

I don’t mind getting regular furniture and stuff, but I will never trade for a seasonal diy or piece of furniture that wouldn't be available without time travel.
I never time travel and I think it’s cheating, but that’s not a bad thing. It’s just a different way to play the game. I’m pretty sure all of my friends have time traveled at least once and it doesn’t bother me, It’s just not something I want to do because it would ruin the game for me.

i definitely don't consider it cheating. if it was really something nintendo wanted to prevent from happening, they would have found a way to lock people in place to their respective dates, etc., so i don't use that word. when an item is hacked to be obtained? that's when i'm more lenient on considering it cheating, because that's literally an item that you shouldn't have - not one that is eventually going to become available.

when the seasons change, and the DIYs shift, the only reason i don't usually jump on offers to obtain seasonal DIYs ahead of time is because i want a chance to get them myself. i know, weird, playing a game to feel accomplished about something. i like how it feels when i pop a balloon and i open it up and bam! there's a DIY for a seasonal item.

when the season is over, and i'm still looking, that's generally when i start to seek out people selling or trading their extras. but i don't frown upon people who don't TT but still obtain those recipes early. and i mean, honestly, why would i? their island doesn't effect mine; you do you, boo boo 🖤

I haven’t TTD yet but have got out of season items from friends and occasionally bought on here. Is it cheating? Maybe 🤔 Do I care? No 🙂 it’s a game and we all enjoy it so I don’t judge if anyone wants to tt if it helps them to enjoy the game. Why would I be judged if I don’t want to mess up my timeline but want to add to my enjoyment of the game 💜

I’m against TT personally because I don’t want to screw up my villager relationships - I want to get as many photos as possible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong if somebody else TTs - it’s your game and it’s not cheating or anything. I frequently get items and villagers from people who TT and there’s nothing wrong with that.
FYI, I don't think TTing affects relationships much, if at all. I TTed forward a few months while working on Deirdre's pic. Used the stack trick on the same day she asked me where I'd been, and got her pic in the mail the next day.

Anyways, I've just gotta say, I feel like "cheating" is kind of a loaded word. It kind of implies TTers are cheating and playing unfairly, which is silly- just play the game the way you want to play it! There's no award for playing in a certain way, and no way of playing is more "ethical" then any other.

FYI, I don't think TTing affects relationships much, if at all. I TTed forward a few months while working on Deirdre's pic. Used the stack trick on the same day she asked me where I'd been, and got her pic in the mail the next day.

Anyways, I've just gotta say, I feel like "cheating" is kind of a loaded word. It kind of implies TTers are cheating and playing unfairly, which is silly- just play the game the way you want to play it! There's no award for playing in a certain way, and no way of playing is more "ethical" then any other.

I guess I think of the word "cheating" differently than most people here. To me its not a bad word. I think of it like how I play the sims. When I play the sims I always use money cheats and build cheats. So yes I'm cheating, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad. In my opinion it's the same with time travel. It's cheating, but it's not wrong or bad, and I would never judge anyone for it. It's another way to play the game.

Absolutely not! I don't think it's cheating to get items from other people who TT. It's part of the game and makes it fun. The same way our villagers are random and give us new items, I believe that contacting other players who can give us items is just an extension of that and is an important part of our world building.
Like, if another player can give you a new fruit and it's not cheating, getting exclusive items or special DIYs is also not cheating.

I don't even consider TT to be cheating! <3 I personally time travel a lot and just think of it as a different way to play the game. It suits me more since I like to play for hours-long chunks of time and theres not much to do sometimes so I skip ahead to the next day. That said, I always do all my chores on every new day.

That said, if you do consider it cheating, then avoid other players who TT I guess!

i don't consider TTing in itself cheating, so no, but i've never bought/taken recipes from people who TTed ahead of me. i prefer to get things on my own. my sister time travels regularly since she does a lot of trading and she has several of the snowboy/christmas items but i've always declined her offer to share. the most i've done is visit her town while she's a few weeks ahead of me and bought clothes but since we're still in the same season, it's stuff i could realistically get on my own anyway.

No. I don't see it as problem compared to using TT'ing to rack up infinite money trees and rocks per day, going to Sunday to get an infinite supply of turnips when someone has a good turnip price, etc etc.

I guess I think of the word "cheating" differently than most people here. To me its not a bad word. I think of it like how I play the sims. When I play the sims I always use money cheats and build cheats. So yes I'm cheating, but that doesn't make it wrong or bad. In my opinion it's the same with time travel. It's cheating, but it's not wrong or bad, and I would never judge anyone for it. It's another way to play the game.
Ah, okay. I've just run into some people who take it a lot more seriously. I used to define it the same as you, but those people have made me a bit more defensive 😅 But I agree, play how you want!

Anyway, I TT, but to sort of answer the question- I prefer not to trade for DIYs from other players. I just like the satisfaction of earning them myself! But sometimes I get desperate and will trade for one or two. Like, I missed a single Cherry Blossom DIY and didn't feel like going back to grab it- so I traded someone else for it.

Nope. I'm trying to not TT myself at least until I get the days played achievement some time in january (I think?). I've TT'd back to daytime a few times because the shops were closed by the time I got to playing, but I haven't skipped to a new day yet!
(the temptation is growing...)

I don't care about how others play, though, that's their business. And I've happily benefited from people when they were in different seasons or when they were able to trade me orderable items in a few minutes and such, too.

lol, nah

though I do make it a point to not get mats that wouldn't of ever been made obtainable thus far in the game's life cycle, except through time traveling

which for now just means the capricorn, aquarius, and pisces frags. as well as the red, blue, and gold ornaments

Tting is more ofna choice that really dpes not effect anything but the player and the time. I dont tt for various reasons. The biggest bwing that I like the way the game is as is. So no I would not consider cheating. Just using your resorces wisely

Yes I consider TTing to be cheating but if that's what people want to do with their game, that's fair enough.

It does spoil the forums though as people are showing off all their stuff they are getting through TTing and spoiling the surprise for others. I've seen so much stuff about items/snow that aren't introduced yet.

Back