• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo 3DS and Wii U eShops Closing in 2023, Phaseout Begins This May

I hope this is a relevant question to ask here, I'm getting another Nintendo E-Shop gift card for my birthday, I used my other one on my switch all I did was enter the code on the card in the enter code area and it was super easy to do, hassle free, it gave me the money right away no need to do anything else, I want to put the money I'm getting from this new card for my birthday on my 3DS can I also hassle free just add funds if I go the redeem gift card thing and enter the code? Do I need a Nintendo account/Nintendo Network ID for my 3DS to do this or can I just add the funds without it? Question two, If I can add the funds without an account/NNID to my 3DS can I make purchases with the money I got from the card without a account/NNID or it needs one to do that? (If you couldn't tell, I'm not a fan of having to go bother make an ID and then link it to my switch Nintendo account...) Thank you for answering my questions! :)

I hope this is a relevant question to ask here, I'm getting another Nintendo E-Shop gift card for my birthday, I used my other one on my switch all I did was enter the code on the card in the enter code area and it was super easy to do, hassle free, it gave me the money right away no need to do anything else, I want to put the money I'm getting from this new card for my birthday on my 3DS can I also hassle free just add funds if I go the redeem gift card thing and enter the code? Do I need a Nintendo account/Nintendo Network ID for my 3DS to do this or can I just add the funds without it? Question two, If I can add the funds without an account/NNID to my 3DS can I make purchases without a account/NNID or it needs one to do that? (If you couldn't tell, I'm not a fan of having to go bother make an ID and then link it to my switch Nintendo account...) Thank you for answering my questions! :)
I think you need a Nintendo Network to get online games or even play online.

I think you need a Nintendo Network to get online games or even play online.
Strange, I can play Pokemon X online and my sister has online play for Pokemon Moon, if it needs an ID for online play then apparently we must have one?? But I don't know what it is if we do actually have one.
Edit: I just read you need a Nintendo Network ID to play Wii U games online not 3DS games online :)

I hope this is a relevant question to ask here, I'm getting another Nintendo E-Shop gift card for my birthday, I used my other one on my switch all I did was enter the code on the card in the enter code area and it was super easy to do, hassle free, it gave me the money right away no need to do anything else, I want to put the money I'm getting from this new card for my birthday on my 3DS can I also hassle free just add funds if I go the redeem gift card thing and enter the code? Do I need a Nintendo account/Nintendo Network ID for my 3DS to do this or can I just add the funds without it? Question two, If I can add the funds without an account/NNID to my 3DS can I make purchases with the money I got from the card without a account/NNID or it needs one to do that? (If you couldn't tell, I'm not a fan of having to go bother make an ID and then link it to my switch Nintendo account...) Thank you for answering my questions! :)

Strange, I can play Pokemon X online and my sister has online play for Pokemon Moon, if it needs an ID for online play then apparently we must have one?? But I don't know what it is if we do actually have one.
Edit: I just read you need a Nintendo Network ID to play Wii U games online not 3DS games online :)
It's been so long since I dealt with setting up a 3DS that I don't remember what making a Nintendo Network ID even entails, but I think it might just be done at initial setup? So you might have one already. In any case, your 3DS should have a password that you need to enter to even get into the eShop. If you don't know what that password might be, if you have access to the e-mail address, you can reset the password.

Once you're in the eShop, there's a drop down menu where you can input the code to add the funds.

Granted, I have a Wii U and the Wii U and 3DS are linked, so maybe people out there just don't have a Nintendo Network ID at all due to lack of a Wii U? Can't say.

If you were so inclined, you could even link your 3DS' Nintendo Network ID to your Switch account so they can share funds.

---

Edit: Google suggests that you don't need one to access the eShop after all, according to Nintendo themselves. Guess it's just an added layer of security I go through to have to enter the password as someone who does have an NNID.

In any case, if you don't have one and want to set one up for convenience: https://en-americas-support.nintend...-create-a-nintendo-network-id-on-nintendo-3ds

Last edited:
Oh! My mistake xD sorry!

I wonder the chances of Nintendo planning to do improved remakes of 3ds games but for the Switch or next system. I would hope to see that because I don't think the games will play well outside the 3ds system with the two screens and all and I'd hate to see things locked away.

Reminder! Today is the last day you can add funds or make purchases in the eShop using a credit or debit card. After today, and until August 29, the only way to add funds directly to the Wii U or 3DS eShop are with Nintendo eShop cards. If you have a Switch and haven't done so yet, you can link your Switch account to your 3DS and Wii U Nintendo Network profiles which will allow you to merge the systems' wallets together. That way, all the way up through March of 2023 you will still be able to add funds via the Switch which can then be used on the Wii U and 3DS systems to purchase games.

So, I know I have to download the Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter before the eShop closes, but does anyone know if updates for games need to be downloaded now or if they can be updated after the shop closes?
I'd download them now. Don't risk it.

I spent today redownloading all the stuff I previously bought but removed for storage space reasons before I got the current SD card I'm using. Will I play Fantasy Life or Story of Seasons? No. But do I want to potentially not be able to should I want to? Also no. And bought TriForce Heroes and the rest of the Pokemon games I didn't have yet.

I'd download them now. Don't risk it.

I spent today redownloading all the stuff I previously bought but removed for storage space reasons before I got the current SD card I'm using. Will I play Fantasy Life or Story of Seasons? No. But do I want to potentially not be able to should I want to? Also no. And bought TriForce Heroes and the rest of the Pokemon games I didn't have yet.
Goodness… I guess I need to actually complete my collection already then. I’m also after Triforce Heroes and the elusive Kid Icarus. They might just be digital downloads, if I can’t find them in physical form.

Anyways, thanks for the response! I totally forgot about this. I’ll get downloading soon.

Well I have a switch so I am in luck and my parents can use their credit cards on the switch since they are linked together!!! I still have to buy a few games on my system.... Definitely Flower Town Streetpass, Disney Magical World 1 and 2. I know alot of people are just buying every 3DS game they can get their hands on even if they wont play it but tbh I dont feel like spending that much money on stuff I wont actually play. I will just enjoy what I have!!! STILL SALTY ABOUT CONCERNEDAPE CANCELLING STARDEW VALLEY WII U AND MADE IT ON SWITCH INSTEAD, IT MAKES SINCE FOR BUISINESS BUT WHY NOT PULL A BOTW AND DO IT ON BOTH 😭 but then again he is one person making the whole game so i understand!!

Anyone here adding money to their switch to buy games on 3ds? Because I know I am, and i rounded up the games I'm getting and its over 100$ I might get them slowly but in time before eshop is down😂 So sad, i will always love the 3ds no matter what

Goodness… I guess I need to actually complete my collection already then. I’m also after Triforce Heroes and the elusive Kid Icarus. They might just be digital downloads, if I can’t find them in physical form.

Anyways, thanks for the response! I totally forgot about this. I’ll get downloading soon.

Don't forget to get Dream Radar if you have Pokemon Black 2 or White 2.

Why can't Nintendo just let us buy retro games instead of just making it harder to find them? This is why so many people like myself have to emulate games and of course scalpers make it hard to even buy the rare retro games.
Yeah this annoys me to no end, especially if you want like older DS or retro consoles/games, not to mention LE consoles if you're into that (I guess LE for reasons but noone is payin $1200 for DS console lol)

It's like they just love to fund scalper, not to mention they did so many bad decisions to not localize games or just do them digitally sigh.

3ds had an awesome selection of games. It was nice to have a good digital library. The NES games would play near flawless, sometimes even better. It will be missed. Hopefully the next generation console will have more playability and more games, being able to play 3ds games would be awesome

Anyone here adding money to their switch to buy games on 3ds? Because I know I am, and i rounded up the games I'm getting and its over 100$ I might get them slowly but in time before eshop is down😂 So sad, i will always love the 3ds no matter what
It's weird, I bought Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn just now on the eshop on my phone using my visa but for some reason, it added the funds automatically to my account and then purchased the game. All I did was select visa as a payment method. I haven't tried downloading it yet on my 3DS as I'm not home but it seemed to have worked! Weird lol. I thought I would've had to manually add the funds but it did it itself. Sweet.

It's weird, I bought Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn just now on the eshop on my phone using my visa but for some reason, it added the funds automatically to my account and then purchased the game. All I did was select visa as a payment method. I haven't tried downloading it yet on my 3DS as I'm not home but it seemed to have worked! Weird lol. I thought I would've had to manually add the funds but it did it itself. Sweet.
It you added the funds from your phone then it'll still work. Basically I think you can do it any way besides adding the funds directly on the 3ds eshop like on the console.

Back